Speutering of mature male/female dogs

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
jrowephoto
Super Bully

Speutering of mature male/female dogs

Postby jrowephoto » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:11 am

Good morning all

I have 100% committed to not breeding my beautiful lab Canon, but I had also decided to leave him intact due to the fact that he's properly contained at all times and he has never given any signs of trying to escape / go prowling for "tail" :) I was confident with this decision, but then it happened. A buddy came over and brought his 3 yr old daughter. She LOVES my dogs, and he wanted me to let Canon in so he could see him. Canon is always friendly, and a bit obnoxious, but never oversteps his boundaries. Well, I put him on a short leesh since there was a small child, and he went crazy when he saw the little girl. I (with all my strength) was holding him back, but he calmed down and so she started loving on him. Canon then quickly (i was still right there w/ them) jumped towards the girl pulling her to him and the force of his 100lb body towards her knocked her down. It didn't hurt her, but scared her. As soon as it happened, his ears went down...he turned back into my Canon, and he laid down by the little girl with his head down on her level licking her in the face, almost like he knew he hurt her and felt bad (humanizing, i know) I don't want this to happen again.

My question, was this a frustrated male due to not getting any (not trying to be funny, but i've heard of dogs that are intact that haven't bred having built up anxiety) and what are the pros and cons of having him neutered this late in life? I know without a doubt I will have Chopper fixed, but I've heard some that have spoken badly of late neuter and I know there's mixed reviews.

I want unbiased opinions with "why" backups if you don't mind, and hopefully this can help others out as well that might be struggling w/ the same issue.

Thanks everyone :)

jrowephoto
Super Bully

Re: Speutering of mature male/female dogs

Postby jrowephoto » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:16 am

also, i found this link:

http://www.petforums.biz/thread-pros-an ... -neutering

The article and the comments at the bottom are right on track w/ with I have heard on both sides, but again I am uneducated on the topic and would like opinions from those of you that actually know what you're talking about.

Thanks again :)

randomroads
Matured Bully

Postby randomroads » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:54 am

To be honest, I don't see any reasons to be concerned with neutering a fully mature adult dog. It's neutering at a young age that I worry about, since it extends their growth period and has the potential to cause harm to their developing bodies when they need those hormones the most.

My parents have multiple intact male dogs at the moment, and they only go 'crazy' when a female in the area is in heat. All the females that my parents own are fixed, so it's other dogs in the vicinity. Your dog could have been responding to a female in heat, which will cause dogs to do uncharacteristic things.

That bad news is that a lot of neutered dogs still respond to females in heat. His behavior may replay itself even after he's been fixed. The best thing to do is give him lots of exercise on top of mental stimulation. So many people ignore the fact that dogs need to exercise their brains just as much as their bodies. An exhausted dog won't have time to worry about what he's missing in life. If you're already giving him mental exercise, give him MORE.

Amie

Postby Amie » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:35 am

I doubt his behavior had anything to do with sex drive and "frustration" - it's exceptionally rare to have sexual attraction to another species.

I'd guess it was more lack of socialization with small children in that particular environment.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:32 pm

Yes, I doubt his behavior had anything to do with not being neutered, but if you did want to have him neutered, doing so at a mature age is a perfectly reasonable choice. As long as the dog isn't too elderly for safe anesthesia, which he is very far from.

Both my bitches were spayed as adults; Tully at 4, Tess at 5. Both healed well. Tess was spayed 6 weeks ago, and has been back in action practicing agility for 3 weeks. I thought it would be too soon, but she was going crazy with inactivity.

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:53 pm

It sounds like Canon was just being rude/ill mannered...and it's likely because he isn't familiar with kids.

How old is Canon? Does he have any health conditions that would be a bad combination with anesthesia? I vote for you to do it-your dog can't get cancer in a part of his body he doesn't have, and that's one less thing you have to worry about. I don't think it'll change his behavior though. I think that behavior will have to change with training (and likely exercise).

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:30 pm

jrowephoto wrote:Good morning all

I have 100% committed to not breeding my beautiful lab Canon, but I had also decided to leave him intact due to the fact that he's properly contained at all times and he has never given any signs of trying to escape / go prowling for "tail" :) I was confident with this decision, but then it happened. A buddy came over and brought his 3 yr old daughter. She LOVES my dogs, and he wanted me to let Canon in so he could see him. Canon is always friendly, and a bit obnoxious, but never oversteps his boundaries. Well, I put him on a short leesh since there was a small child, and he went crazy when he saw the little girl. I (with all my strength) was holding him back, but he calmed down and so she started loving on him. Canon then quickly (i was still right there w/ them) jumped towards the girl pulling her to him and the force of his 100lb body towards her knocked her down. It didn't hurt her, but scared her. As soon as it happened, his ears went down...he turned back into my Canon, and he laid down by the little girl with his head down on her level licking her in the face, almost like he knew he hurt her and felt bad (humanizing, i know) I don't want this to happen again.

My question, was this a frustrated male due to not getting any (not trying to be funny, but i've heard of dogs that are intact that haven't bred having built up anxiety) and what are the pros and cons of having him neutered this late in life? I know without a doubt I will have Chopper fixed, but I've heard some that have spoken badly of late neuter and I know there's mixed reviews.

I want unbiased opinions with "why" backups if you don't mind, and hopefully this can help others out as well that might be struggling w/ the same issue.

Thanks everyone :)

This isnt a sexual question it seems to be a lack of training, some dogs see littles or humans at eye level as equals.
If you go to my Two week thread, its on page 18 , there is an excercise called FIND ME FOR FOOD. this is a GREAT excercise to start to install in the dog how to behave when seeing others..and then when we follow thru with youngsters they find that all four on floor gets them pets and fun, not playing with their new found puppy human ! ;0 )
Its just a lack of manners .. dont feel bad, we all get these moments of "whoops should of taught him now to behave in this situation!.. a high excitement moment WEEEE SMALL HUMAN, and drive of the pull of the leash (wee competition!)
So just step back and train and teach him HOW to act with littles and things will be fine..he just sounds a bit happy! :thumbsup:

jrowephoto
Super Bully

Postby jrowephoto » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:36 pm

understood, thanks for the info everyone. now that I think about it he really hasn't been around little kids all that much. also the past month, I have been so snowed under with work lately that our daily walks have dissapeared. Other than this, I really haven't had any issues w/ him "being intact" b/c he really been a chilled out cool dog. I'll use this as more motivation to get my lazy but out of bed at 5:00am so I can run him more, b/c he was a lot more chilled dog back then I have to say.

jrowephoto
Super Bully

Postby jrowephoto » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:39 pm

jamielvsaustin wrote:It sounds like Canon was just being rude/ill mannered...and it's likely because he isn't familiar with kids.

How old is Canon? Does he have any health conditions that would be a bad combination with anesthesia? I vote for you to do it-your dog can't get cancer in a part of his body he doesn't have, and that's one less thing you have to worry about. I don't think it'll change his behavior though. I think that behavior will have to change with training (and likely exercise).

sorry for the double post, he's 2

luvnstuff wrote:This isnt a sexual question it seems to be a lack of training, some dogs see littles or humans at eye level as equals.
If you go to my Two week thread, its on page 18 , there is an excercise called FIND ME FOR FOOD. this is a GREAT excercise to start to install in the dog how to behave when seeing others..and then when we follow thru with youngsters they find that all four on floor gets them pets and fun, not playing with their new found puppy human ! ;0 )
Its just a lack of manners .. dont feel bad, we all get these moments of "whoops should of taught him now to behave in this situation!.. a high excitement moment WEEEE SMALL HUMAN, and drive of the pull of the leash (wee competition!)
So just step back and train and teach him HOW to act with littles and things will be fine..he just sounds a bit happy! :thumbsup:

GREAT info, thank you! I'll check that post out no doubt

HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:14 pm

I would rather neuter a mature dog than a puppy..... It doesn't sound like he was trying to hump her, tho - it seems you were implying htat but didn't say it??? My Ruby knocks down toddlers but I wouldn't say that had ANYTHING to do at all with hormones....

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:09 pm

2 is definately not too old to neuter, we had grendel neutered at about 20 months.
To be honest, seeing as it is such a simple surgery and if your dog is healthy (do the blood work prior) there are little risks and it makes management easier, no need to worry about escaping and knocking someone up.

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:40 pm

:0 )
didnt realize ..well forgot.. we were in the Health threads.. the two weeks is in the training.
this link should take you to page 18 and the find me for food. I think you will find it very helpful. I know I do.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=81654&start=255

and as for neutering, I think two years is a great time, the hormones are in place, and he is developed. I really woudnt go unaltered, and not speuter now. If you are worried about lack of drive , strength and shape, you tube
wallace the pit bull a neutered shelter dog doing amazing things!
And even my
virgil the pit bull for some videos of my guy I neutered post pound at about 2 years old. you will see they are not the lazy fat dogs people think of.. anything but.....

:0 )
happy daze! now shoo shoo do your homework and teach that beautiful dog ! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

buckaroo
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby buckaroo » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:34 pm

Look up "perianal adenocarcinoma" and see if that's something you want Canon to have. It's pretty common in older, male, intact dogs. They bleed, interfere with defecation and look nasty. Almost never malignant, but won't go away for good unless the dog is neutered. I've seen many fosters dogs with this. Once you neuter them, it shrinks right up.

Return to “Health Issues”