Cancer Treatment Experiences

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Fear_the_Sheeple
Newborn Bully

Cancer Treatment Experiences

Postby Fear_the_Sheeple » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:52 pm

Yesterday I found out that Caesar has bone cancer... I'm sure I don't have to explain the state of mind I've been in - completely overwhelming. We've been doing a ton of research, and are really looking into all the natural things we can do - boosting his immune system as number one priority. As far as the rest... we just got all this info from the vet today and aren't sure what we are going to do. His happiness and comfort are number one - this all feels so impossible, but there have been moments when we really feel "we can take this on". I try to hold on to those.

Anyway, I figured I could turn to PBF to hear experiences with cancer treatment, especially looking at diet changes, supplements, etc.. Things others have done that they found have helped with quality of life.

Thank you for your support - and please - positive vibes! The focus is on love and hope. And here are some pictures of my handsome man enjoying the sun yesterday:

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Re: Cancer Treatment Experiences

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:01 pm

Where is the cancer located? I'm assuming you mean osteosarcoma?

Fear_the_Sheeple
Newborn Bully

Postby Fear_the_Sheeple » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:03 pm

Yeah, in his upper front leg...

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:12 pm

So its in the shoulder? Osteosarcoma of the front leg is almost always in the shoulder or the wrist.

The best control of pain for quality of life is amputation. Amputation causes the primary cancer to stop preventing the growth of the metastasis, which a vast majority of dogs will have at the time of diagnosis, so it does not change the life expectancy unless you are one of the lucky few who caught it before it metastasized. Chemotherapy is certainly an option, and if its not an option there are some home-made cancer diets out there. I lost my nutrition class notes in the move, so I don't know the details of what this diet entails (it was a 10 minute afterthought the last day of class), but there is truth to avoiding certain grains and giving as many free radical absorbers and antioxidents you can give in a balanced manner. I would load your pup on fatty acid supplements, and take a few days to decide weather amputation is an option or not.

My heart goes out to you, cancer stinks. I did a bone biopsy on a 2 year old mastiff today that I'm pretty sure will come back as cancer... dreading that phone call big time...

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:14 pm

wow, it's been a long time. i'm so sorry to hear the news. wish i had some advice, but i don't ... but i'll be thinking of you and caesar.

Fear_the_Sheeple
Newborn Bully

Postby Fear_the_Sheeple » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:27 pm

Thanks misskiwi - we are definitely considering amputation as an option. Lots of things to consider with it, but it's there...

Thanks for the kind words BabyReba... I know, it's been forever... this is the topping on the cake of crap that has been my life for the last year or so. :tongue: Hopefully a miracle will be the turn around.

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:31 pm

I'm so sorry to hear this. I lost my boy Hoss to osteosarcoma in September. He wasn't a candidate for amputation, so we just kept him comfortable for as long as we could.

I'll be keeping Caesar in my thoughts and prayers.

Fear_the_Sheeple
Newborn Bully

Postby Fear_the_Sheeple » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:41 pm

Thanks Libby, I am sorry to hear about your loss. :hug:

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:43 pm

Welcome back to you and handsome Caesar :)
I don't have any experience/advice but wishing both of you the best. :hug:

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:45 pm

If you can do amputation, I would. I've seen a lot of dogs bought time, with good quality of life, after amputation. A local agility competitor had a front leg amputated on his Doberman for osteosarcoma, and she was still hanging around agility trials cadging treats for some time. He missed running her in agility, I know, but he was happy to have his dog.

Chemo, I've never had a great opinion of. Though I was reading something while at the vet specialty hospital today that indicated cancer treatments have improved in the last 20 years, which it's been nearly that long since I worked at a vet and saw dogs undergoing chemo. (we didn't do it there, but saw the dogs for other things) I still probably wouldn't do it on my own dog.

Good luck.

Fear_the_Sheeple
Newborn Bully

Postby Fear_the_Sheeple » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:58 pm

Thanks for the support mtlu & sarah. :hug:

We're not into chemo either... I think it's too much to put him through...

Red Chrome

Postby Red Chrome » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:04 pm

So, sorry to hear about Caesar. Hoping and praying for a miracle for him. MY first GSD had Osteosarcoma, it spread fast and rampant, he was put to sleep at 18 months old. I just kept him comfortable and relatively pain free till the end. Back then chemo for dogs wasn't as used as it is now.

Long time, no see..Sorry to see you back under these circumstances. :hug:

patty

Postby patty » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:16 pm

I'm sad to hear about Caesar :( Just wanted to let you know I will be praying for your beautiful boy and sending positive vibes.

Fear_the_Sheeple
Newborn Bully

Postby Fear_the_Sheeple » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:19 pm

Thanks Red & patty. :hug: We're definitely trying to stay positive that he has a longer time to enjoy his life. It's comforting to know that he'll have the support of so many people.

Another thing... I have read a lot of different things about diets - raw vs. cooked, etc.. Does anyone have an opinion on which is better? I read that simmered food is the best?

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:39 pm

Fear_the_Sheeple wrote:Another thing... I have read a lot of different things about diets - raw vs. cooked, etc.. Does anyone have an opinion on which is better? I read that simmered food is the best?

For dogs... nobody knows. There haven't been any real studies done on raw foods yet to determine if one is better or not, so everything you will find is anecdotal at best, and everyone will have their own very strong opinion about what is best.

For their people, cooked is better. If there are immunocompromised persons in your home, you should feed cooked food to your dogs as numerous studies have shown increased shedding of pathogenic bacteria by dogs on raw diets.

Just do what is right for you and your home/family/financial/etc situation.

Return to “Health Issues”