Negative Effects from Benadryl?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
VogueVulture
Newborn Bully

Negative Effects from Benadryl?

Postby VogueVulture » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:56 pm

So I gave Mimi 50mgs last night for the first time. Most of the night consisted of her staring at my husband & I, staring out the window & just seeming over all "glum" to the point where I went out of my way to try & stimulate her through tricks & games. Immediately after she went back to acting kinda strange. She is normally really calm but this was kinda overboard. She seemed worried, & confused. I am not sure if it being night had anything to do w/ it but her pupils seemed dilated too. Just watching her move around, & look around was kinda sad...she seemed lost. Then at bed time I gave her extra love & her in kennel she went (in our room) & we heard her make this depressing light whine after her breaths. I felt so bad we almost let her in bed with us :crybaby:

Has your dog acted strange after Benadryl? I looked on the boards but didnt see anything like this, most of the reactions are drowsy, saw one about appetite. I put it in her breakfast, which she hasnt eaten yet but I wanted to see how common this is, if nothing results from it, or if someone did deal w/ this & there was a bad experience w/ continued usage.

jamielvsaustin

Re: Negative Effects from Benadryl?

Postby jamielvsaustin » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:15 pm

I've never heard of a bad reaction to dogs from benadryl. Did you dose her properly? Was she just lethargic (drowsy) or was it more than that?

Even though I haven't heard of a bad reaction in dogs, I myself am allergic to it. It does to me exactly what it is intended to help against. For me it causes hives all over my upper body. They itch and I feel like a crackhead because I'm so itchy.

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:19 pm

I've given it to each of my dogs occassionally (when they are itchy) and it made them tired. I usually try to only do it at night when they are going to sleep anyhow.

Maybe your dog felt tired at an unusal time for her and didn't like that feeling?
Dogs are so into their usual routines they don't usually like too much change.

VogueVulture
Newborn Bully

Postby VogueVulture » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:34 pm

I really cant say if she was drowsy or not, odd right?, because she is very calm, quiet & sleeps a lot anyway. I could just see in her face that she was confused about what was going on, & she never whines in her kennel so that was really weird for her to do. So it wasn't her being more lethargic, it was more watching her demeanor. She seemed out of her element, like she could tell there was something different about herself. IDK I guess the best way to put it is that she reacted as though I gave her some kind of drug, rather than just an over-the-counter allergy medicine! :dunno:

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:32 pm

Benadryl can make dogs, as well as people, sleepy, and in people that certainly translates to groggy. I don't take it myself, because I dont like the feeling, though it does make a good sleeping pill.

VogueVulture
Newborn Bully

Postby VogueVulture » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:39 pm

Sarah wrote:Benadryl can make dogs, as well as people, sleepy, and in people that certainly translates to groggy. I don't take it myself, because I dont like the feeling, though it does make a good sleeping pill.

I dont take it either, luckily I get prescribed Allegra still even though it just went on shelves. Hope that lasts. But the times I have taken it I just pass out, never gotten confused and out sorts like she did. She had 50mgs about, idk, close to an hour ago and so far is OK I think. I am going to keep an eye on her. Doesn't seem like last night is a common reaction on the boards so if she acts funny today I will just call the vet to be safe.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:53 pm

Khan doesn't have nay reaction to it. It also doesn't seem to make him tired at all.

I get very tired and bitchy when I take it lol

You could try another antihistamine (under your Vets direction) In the past Khan has taken allegra(my vet gave me the correct dosage) this was before it went over the counter and I have a RX for it for me. He has also tried claritin and I seem to remember someone saying their vet recommended Zrytic. There are also dog specific ones too.

VogueVulture
Newborn Bully

Postby VogueVulture » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:07 pm

FBODGRL wrote:You could try another antihistamine (under your Vets direction) In the past Khan has taken allegra(my vet gave me the correct dosage) this was before it went over the counter and I have a RX for it for me. He has also tried claritin and I seem to remember someone saying their vet recommended Zrytic. There are also dog specific ones too.

I'm getting in touch w/ the vet on Mon. to find out how long it takes before I should see her symptoms (bumps) go down. So far, she's taken it 4 times & I see no difference. By Mon. it will have been 8 times. If nothing changes, I will just have to look into getting her on the antibiotics they wanted her on, but I said no because she'd been on it for 20 days from another vet for another reason & I wanted to try something else first. Can't depend on antibiotics her whole life to keep these bumps at bay. But if we go that route & they disappear, then we will need to figure out the reason behind her skin problems because if allergy meds don't work but antibiotics do, there's something else going on that I want fixed.

Doesn't help that the girl is a genius at eating everything BUT the pill. Kibble, treats, bread, cheese & hot dog (I resorted to people food to get her to eat the pill, I was not happy!). I had to go and buy those hypo-allergenic Pill Pockets, little sneak!

Odnarb

Postby Odnarb » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:29 pm

Grant gets severe hemorrhagic vomiting and diarrhea from Benedryl. He's had to be hospitalized twice for it. The first time he got it along with steroids after having a reaction to an insect bite. The next day he had to be hospitalized. We assumed it was the steroids because who reacts to Benedryl that way? The next time he had hives we gave him Benedryl only and the reaction was even worse. He had straight blood shooting out of both ends, and was hospitalized for two days. Now we give him Clairitin for hives if he gets them.

VogueVulture
Newborn Bully

Postby VogueVulture » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:49 pm

Odnarb wrote:Grant gets severe hemorrhagic vomiting and diarrhea from Benedryl. He's had to be hospitalized twice for it. The first time he got it along with steroids after having a reaction to an insect bite. The next day he had to be hospitalized. We assumed it was the steroids because who reacts to Benedryl that way? The next time he had hives we gave him Benedryl only and the reaction was even worse. He had straight blood shooting out of both ends, and was hospitalized for two days. Now we give him Clairitin for hives if he gets them.

Aww! That is horrible! I would be traumatized from that. Luckily for me the weird symptoms may have subsided but if it doesnt work by Monday I will be looking into something else. I have a prescription to Allegra, I'd be willing to share with her. But in all honesty, it's feels really odd giving her human medicine. I would rather just get rid of the allergen, whatever it is! :dunno:

Return to “Health Issues”