Does this warrant a new vet?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
KittyNyanNyan
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Does this warrant a new vet?

Postby KittyNyanNyan » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:58 am

I'm going to try to keep it nice and short.

I've been to the vet at least once a week for the past five weeks. It all started with bringing Maybelle in to get a bump checked out on her ear, and I ended up bringing Cody along because he was due for his rabies vaccine (that's the only vaccine he gets due to his age and it's the 3 yr.) The vet looked at it, mashed it around, said that it was most likely a tumor, gave me some pills to give her, then sent me home with a recheck in a week.

I came back next week, with Cody and Maybelle in tow. I got Cody's blood work done to see where his kidneys were at and if he were okay to do a dental. And I brought Maybelle in because she had some new black spots on her udders. (I call them her udders, but it's where it gets saggy in dogs?) The vet gives it another look, sends me home with more allergy medication and gives Cody to okay to go under anesthesia with another recheck in a week.

I come back, Maybelle now has another lump on her mouth. And another vet (not my regular one) comes in and tells me I shouldn't be putting Cody under because he's so old and I should go drive an hour away to do anesthesialess dental. Don't get me wrong, I would if I could, but the only time that it's available is the time that I'm in school, and no one else in my family would take my dog or pay for it. That, and I had already paid for the service for Cody (the other vet gave me a deal on the bloodwork and dental). I don't mind suggestions, but this vet made it seem like I was KILLING my dog and putting money before him, which irritated me. She also sent me home with a DIFFERENT kind of arthritis medication for him, claiming it was better than what he was prescribed before. Then set a recheck in a week.

I come back with Maybelle. She has another lump on her ear that I didn't notice. I also did a UA on Maybelle because I noticed her frequent urination and crying. It turns out she has the beginning's of a bladder infection or something, since there were trace amounts of blood in her bladder. They look at the lumps, say it's nothing, send me home with antibiotics on top of what she's already taking and say come back in a week.

I come back in a week, the infection is gone, the lumps are still there, but now she has new black spots on her udders. It looks as if it were dirt, but when I try and clean it, nothing comes off. It's her skin? The vet looks at it, says keep giving her the antibiotic and tells me to not come back ("I'm putting it in your hands").

I'm so frustrated. I work hard for my money, and I thought I had had a lot saved up. But I blew through everything in my bank account and my savings through this whole thing. And I didn't even list the times I went up there to pick up a different medication than originally prescribed. I don't mind spending money, but what I care about is spending the money and not getting any answers. Since the "tumors" are so small, they said they can't do a biopsy on either of them. The mysterious black spots showing up? Nothing you can do about it other than trying to treat with antibiotics. Maybelle is MISERABLE. she used to LOVE going to the vet, and now I literally have to drag her in the back. The fact the vet even used the word tumors is what freaked me out. If you can't biopsy or something, why not just take them off? I have a sinking feeling in my tummy about this entire ordeal and I want to do something before I feel guilty that I didn't.

Am I being too paranoid? Too money conscious? Should I change a vet? The only reason I keep bringing them back is because I have Maybelle enrolled in an optimum wellness plan. But I'm willing to fork out the extra money if I might get answers elsewhere.

Thanks for listening :( I just want to help my babygirl.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Re: Does this warrant a new vet?

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:33 pm

If you are not comfortable with the service you have received... you should find another vet. If you want biospies, you should be able to get them done.

The black spots sounds like normal aging changes to me... anthing firm or raised I would want a biopsy of.

I did a dental last week on an 18 year old cat with a heart murmur... they're never too old for proper health care. He's doing fine, by the way.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:51 pm

I didn't even read your whole post and YES I think you should get a new vet.

The part that struck me most was the recommendation of anesthesia-free dental care. Seriously?!

Check out AAHAnet.org to find a clinic with AAHA accreditation near you. Being AAHA certified doesn't guarantee that you're going to "click" with a new vet, but at least you will know the clinic undergoes regular, voluntary testing and is up-to-snuff with their practice standards.

KittyNyanNyan
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby KittyNyanNyan » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:06 pm

Thanks, I should've switched a long time ago. I just wasn't sure if i was overreacting.

Here it goes again :/ I can never seem to find a good vet anymore.

Maven
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Maven » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:34 pm

Agreed. Yes. You should find another vet. IF the vet you are using is leading you to ask if you should find someone else, you definitely should.

tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby tiva » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:41 am

Seriously?
Here's what my wonderful vet, and the UW vet school clinic, have told me about similar issues:
1. Age has little to do with whether anesthesia is safe for a particular dog. The preliminary bloodwork tells you how safe it's likely to be. Our pittie Tiva just had anesthesia for MCt, and she's over 15. If the bloodwork is good, there's little extra risk for an older dog.
2. Color changes on an older dog: our vet says it's nothing to worry about
3. Bumps: our vets check all of these and aspirates most of them to check for mast cells. Lipomas, or "fatty tumors", are the exception--they didn't bother to aspirate these on our husky, who got a ton of them as she got older. They also don't aspirate skin tags, which Tiva has in huge quantity.

Sorry you're having so much trouble.

KittyNyanNyan
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby KittyNyanNyan » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:23 am

We did the bloodwork which came out fine, so I did go ahead with the dental.

The pigment changes and the lumps are not showing up on Cody. They're actually showing up on Maybelle which has be concerned. According to her adoption papers she should only be five?

randomroads
Matured Bully

Postby randomroads » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:31 am

Does she spend 30 minutes or more in the sun daily? Are you using a dog safe sun screen? If yes and no, it could be sun damage/sun spots. Several of my parents dogs get them, and they fade after a while. As long as the spots aren't raised or firm, like someone else said, there's not much to worry about.

I'm a little confused by the whole thing, though. You brought your dog to the vet because of spots on her stomach, and without a real diagnosis or even attempting to tell you what it is, the vet gave you pills and you gave them to your dog? Next time ask lots of questions and make sure the vet explains the what, why, and how - to many dogs are being medicated excessively, and for the wrong reasons. The side affects of these drugs can be a lot more life threatening than sun spots.

snikles
Adolescent Bully

Postby snikles » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:52 am

If you are not comfortable with what your current vet is saying then you should get a second opinion.

KittyNyanNyan
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby KittyNyanNyan » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:22 pm

randomroads wrote:Does she spend 30 minutes or more in the sun daily? Are you using a dog safe sun screen? If yes and no, it could be sun damage/sun spots. Several of my parents dogs get them, and they fade after a while. As long as the spots aren't raised or firm, like someone else said, there's not much to worry about.

I'm a little confused by the whole thing, though. You brought your dog to the vet because of spots on her stomach, and without a real diagnosis or even attempting to tell you what it is, the vet gave you pills and you gave them to your dog? Next time ask lots of questions and make sure the vet explains the what, why, and how - to many dogs are being medicated excessively, and for the wrong reasons. The side affects of these drugs can be a lot more life threatening than sun spots.

Hopefully they are just sun spots. I use sunscreen on her, but maybe I'm not using enough?

I first brought her in for a lump on her ear, and consequently at each vet visit afterward there were new bumps or spots on her. There was no real diagnosis, it was more along the lines of "Let's try these out and see how they work". They would kind of wave away my questions, and guilt trip me if I questioned the pills. I'm currently on the hunt for a new vet, it seems as though the competent ones are no where near me.

randomroads
Matured Bully

Postby randomroads » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:31 pm

That really does suck that a DOCTOR would ignore a client's concerns. They obviously don't care about keeping good business, since they're able to be so pushy about selling pills without real reasons.

Check the SPF rating on her sunscreen. It may not be high enough. What brand are you using, anyway? Rosie has white around her face with very pale skin around her nose and lips, and I want to get her some sunscreen so she doesn't burn.

Return to “Health Issues”