Building Muscle

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
VogueVulture
Newborn Bully

Building Muscle

Postby VogueVulture » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:41 pm

IDK if I am just really bad at using the search key but I haven't been able to find just what I am looking for. So I will ask...

Mimi is 22" tall I believe, & between 60-65lbs. She seems to gain weight pretty easily, just by looking at her we can tell. But I was wondering the best way to get her muscles toned w/o having equipment? I don't have a backyard, & we live in a townhouse. If I were to get equipment it will be way down the road. I am making her a flirt stick today/tomorrow.

Anyway, pretty sure she has Lab in her but she still has a color & hair texture that would show muscles really well & I'd love to get her toned during this process of training her & getting her healthy. Any advice on how to do this? Certain exercises in/outside? I wouldn't mind bulking up her facial muscles either, because I love their big cheeks & her's are rather....flat.

-Side note: she has allergies but I want to get her coat shiny too, it's dull! Anything you use that works for that?

Playing.....can't see muscle

Laying...looks pretty blah to me in the muscle dept.

Can see she has potential!

Her body, normal state.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Re: Building Muscle

Postby FransterDoo » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:01 pm

How old is she? What are you feeding currently?

Some dogs also just have great muscle tone. My older girl literally does nothing. I have to sucker her into exercising to keep her stamina up and she always looks like we've really been putting in an effort with her. Our lurcher has great muscle tone but his are flatter and more lean rather than her bulk.

For her coat, you should consider adding both Salmon oil and Coconut oil to her diet. But a good quality diet is really the foundation that you build from.

VogueVulture
Newborn Bully

Postby VogueVulture » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:11 pm

FransterDoo wrote:How old is she? What are you feeding currently?

Some dogs also just have great muscle tone. My older girl literally does nothing. I have to sucker her into exercising to keep her stamina up and she always looks like we've really been putting in an effort with her. Our lurcher has great muscle tone but his are flatter and more lean rather than her bulk.

For her coat, you should consider adding both Salmon oil and Coconut oil to her diet. But a good quality diet is really the foundation that you build from.

She's 4.5 years old, feeding her Natural Balance L.I.D. Venison formula, as well as the same formula in treat form. She's been getting a lot lately though with the training I've been doing :oops: But she doesn't get human food or anything else, the only other treats she's had were on the more high quality, grain-free side.

Wasn't sure if she'd bulk up or just get defined, but either way I'd figure out which way her body wanted to go. I just want to get her there and don't know how. I did find more options using Search for "Conditioning" in Title Only though. That's right, salmon and coconut oil, I remember reading that under a shiny coat thing, but I also asked about oils for allergies too so I wasn't sure.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:47 pm

VogueVulture wrote:She's 4.5 years old,

ok, I just wanted to make sure she wasn't really young. Some folks want their puppies to bulk up which is like asking your 8 year old to bulk up.

feeding her Natural Balance L.I.D. Venison formula, as well as the same formula in treat form. She's been getting a lot lately though with the training I've been doing :oops: But she doesn't get human food or anything else, the only other treats she's had were on the more high quality, grain-free side.

well, the best thing to do is to pull her treats from her food. Like if you do a lot of training and used a good number of treats - eye ball it and remove about that amount from her dinner.

I forgot you were the poster with the allergy dog! sorry! Again, wanted to make sure that you weren't feeding crap and yet wanting your dog to look good.

Wasn't sure if she'd bulk up or just get defined, but either way I'd figure out which way her body wanted to go. I just want to get her there and don't know how. I did find more options using Search for "Conditioning" in Title Only though. That's right, salmon and coconut oil, I remember reading that under a shiny coat thing, but I also asked about oils for allergies too so I wasn't sure.

Well, exercise is great! None of mine are big fans of leash walking though. um, up hills, down hills, walking on different surfaces like sand. You can do recall sprints between 2 people on a long line. swimming if you can find it.

You can also practice teaching tricks like sit pretty and bow. That works some muscle groups!

VogueVulture
Newborn Bully

Postby VogueVulture » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:56 pm

FransterDoo wrote:Well, exercise is great! None of mine are big fans of leash walking though. um, up hills, down hills, walking on different surfaces like sand. You can do recall sprints between 2 people on a long line. swimming if you can find it.

You can also practice teaching tricks like sit pretty and bow. That works some muscle groups!

She goes on walks with my husband usually, we dont actually have sand around here, lol up and down hill might be manageable. I just found a thread that mentions sit pretty, so I'll add that and bow to my list of tricks to learn. We do Touch right now, but I make her jump or lift her body up a lot when I am doing it. Even just in the past few days since doing this she has picked up motivation to jump on her own, during play or, well, when I put my kids' back way up above the cupboards....lol

randomroads
Matured Bully

Postby randomroads » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:37 am

Flirt poles, spring poles, biking, swimming, fetch, building an A-frame and having her go up and down (recent video in the training section I believe). All of those will help her tone up and start to show some muscle definition.

You have kids? Train her to the bike, and then have them take her for runs. Two birds with one stone! If you don't, or they're too young, get a bike yourself and make it a family outing!

VogueVulture
Newborn Bully

Postby VogueVulture » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:44 am

randomroads wrote:Flirt poles, spring poles, biking, swimming, fetch, building an A-frame and having her go up and down (recent video in the training section I believe). All of those will help her tone up and start to show some muscle definition.

You have kids? Train her to the bike, and then have them take her for runs. Two birds with one stone! If you don't, or they're too young, get a bike yourself and make it a family outing!

Just made 2 flirt sticks, she loves them, don't have room for a spring pole though. I get her jumping with the stick. And am going to turn Touch into Jump since I make her do it so often in training. I saw the A ramp video and thought about asking husband to make one. We could easily do that in the garage. If I found a cheap treadmill we could fit it in there too but those are never cheap, even on CL. She doesn't like the water though, lol, scaredy cat.

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:50 pm

Genetics first then good healthy food and adequate exercise bring a dog to it's full potential. Swimming and plain old hand walking are some of the best exercises for keeping a dog in shape. But, you have to find what she likes and what works best for you too. :thumbsup:

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:58 pm

Y'all took the words out of my mouth. ;)

randomroads
Matured Bully

Postby randomroads » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:01 pm

VogueVulture wrote:If I found a cheap treadmill we could fit it in there too but those are never cheap, even on CL.

You can make a treadmill for under $100. It's not pretty, but it works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLo37xk2 ... 5BA176A1C9

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7qIN4So ... re=related

To be honest, there are some things on his design that I'd do different, but I went to Lowes and priced everything, and it came out right around $70 including the carpet scraps from a local flooring place. I'll be making my own sometime soon.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:26 pm

Walking Buddy with a regular top-clip harness gave her AWESOME shoulder muscles.

(now it's winter and she's been on permanent rest due to her shoulder tendonitis but it was nice while it lasted).

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:49 pm

I have in the past used a $20 treadmill from the thriftstore (I have also obtained them dumpster diving- if you live in the city). Now I don't use any sort of mill b/c BLM is only 5min away and I can kill 5 birds with one stone so to speak (well actually 6; if you consider that I am getting in better shape too). Hand walking and swimming work wonders. We do a lot of hiking, bouldering and canyoneering; navigating the rocks builds total body muscle tone. We also drag weight. I use a flirt pole and a spring pole, but to be honest I see the most impact from the hiking. Hiking is awesome b/c your dog will be navigating varied terrain, jumping over logs, running around obstacles, and going both up and down hill. If you can hike to a lake or pond, your dog can cool down with a nice swim. Digging also builds muscle, and the great outdoors is perfect for digging. Backpacking is not a direct conditioning exercise, but it does help increase endurance and cadio.

I have found that good consistent exercise can produce the same results as a conditioning program. I have not sought to condition my dogs in years. With proper exercise they maintain awesome muscle tone and appropriate body fat.

You can pick up a weight pull harness for not too much and it is probably the easiest equipment to store in an apt. Appropriate fit is desirable and important if you want to pursue Weightpull as a sport, but a used harness of correct size will work fine if you are just wanting her to pull small amounts of weight for exercise only. Lydia (who is about 15lbs lighter than your dog) drags one tire for approx 1/2 mile 2x week.

Return to “Health Issues”