Roscoe's limping is worse!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Roscoe's limping is worse!

Postby dogs4jen » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:15 pm

Aargh! I have taken Roscoe for chiropractic/cold laser treatments for his hind leg a bunch of times now, and he was doing much better, but after I took him Thursday, he is back to limping as much as before I took him for the initial vet visit. The lvt who does the treatments thinks maybe his ligament might be more stretched than torn, and it's not just arthritis in his spine making him limp. She gave him another "adjustment" Thursday, do you think that could have made him worse?
The swelling in his front leg has gone down to normal, but there is still a lump on his foot. I'm hoping it's just a serum pocket left from the swelling.

April
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Roscoe's limping is worse!

Postby April » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:22 pm

I'm so sorry hope it gets better soon :pray , if it's one thing I don't like to see is a dog limping I see
way too many people walking dogs limping and the owners just ignore them like its going away.

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:44 pm

When I get adjustments they make me feel worse for a couple of days. How is he now?

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:52 pm

Most of the time he is putting barely any weight at all on that leg. He just looks like he doesn't feel good, and even when he's sleeping on the couch he moves around a lot and it looks like he just can't get altogether comfortable. He kicked me a ton of times last night too, squirming around in bed.

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:33 pm

I just got back from the vet's for more cold laser treatment, and they think he might have a partial tear and arthritis in his knee. So he's on more rest and I'm going to try icing it this evening.

julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby julie64 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:13 pm

Poor Rosco and you. I hope he starts feeling better.
Give him kisses from me.

HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:20 pm

Hang in there ... good luck with that. Feel better, Roscoe!!

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:59 am

Thanks you guys. I just wonder if I might as well check into getting him surgery even though the knee isn't totally blown.

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:35 pm

He could get muscle wasting in that leg from favoring the injured knee. In retrospect, we waited too long to get Molly's left knee repaired (that was her first of two TPLOs) because we decided to take our time to research; try some conservative management techniques; etc. I don't regret having multiple consults and shopping around for the surgeon we liked but she had a harder time recovering from her first knee surgery than her second because she had lost muscle mass due to us not getting her in for a repair sooner. She has recovered much quicker from her more recent surgery where we got her in for the repair within a couple weeks of when she showed signs of injury.

Both of Molly's knees had partial tears around 50-75% torn but not 100% blown.

That has been our experience but I believe there may be others here who have had better success with conservative management – I don't want to scare you with Molly's case but that has been our experience.

I hope Roscoe is feeling better and good luck!

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:35 am

Thank you, that kind of reinforces what I was starting to think. I don't want to sit around and watch him limp if he's going to need surgery anyways.

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:26 am

As soon as Pandora's first knee healed, the second one was ready for surgery.

Good luck with whatever you decide. :hug:

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:49 am

Thanks Jena, I know, start saving for the second one when the first one is done. :eek:
Roscoe is such a trainwreck, with elbow dysplasia along with the knee problem, and arthritis in his back already. Good thing I love him like crazy!

Return to “Health Issues”