Buddys Parvo Story.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Buddys Parvo Story.

Postby Brianna&Bubba. » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:07 pm

Your always taking a risk when you adopt a puppy, or any dog for that matter, from a shelter.

My most recent adoption was on January 3, 2011. My boyfriend wanted to adopt a dog, me and him share the same love for pitbulls, so we made the decision to adopt a red nose male we saw on their website. It was love at first site on the internet, me and Steve were so excited to wake up first thing and be the first people to walk through the door and find the young 7 week old puppy named "King" We got there at 8:30am, they open at 9:00am. We rushed through there into the first area kennel area, and there he was on the right side of us. He stole my heart from then on.

First thought "There he is !" Second thought, "Oh my god, he is so skinny." he was so very skinny, he looked very sick and it was breaking my heart. They told me he had roundworms and that is why he is so skinny. Looking at his paperwork I also noticed he had been there for a very long time,(ten days in shelter days is like ten years, atleast at that shelter it is) It never occured to me what kind of diseases he could of been exposed to in those days.

I was to estatic, ive never been this more excited to adopt a dog, (ive adopted about 3 throughout my life) all mutts.<3
It wasnt my dog to begin with though, it was my boyfriend steves, but my happiness and excitement was for him also. While I have had dogs all throughout my life, his only dog he ever came to grow and love died when he was eight, and ever since then his mother would not get another dog. The compassion Steve had for this little pup was heartwarming and there wasnt a second thought that this was our new addition to the family. We filled out the paperwork, payed the fees and then we drove home with our new special little guy. Steve named him Buddy.

Waiting at home was tons of obnoxious squeeky toys, chew toys, rawhides, soft cookies, and a perfect puppy diet planned for him. The beginning of our new chapter in life was perfect, and is treasured for always. Three days have passed and things couldnt have been better.

Until Sunday, January 16, 2011. It was 11:00pm when Buddy began heaving, and coughing, and throwing up white foam and what looked like mucus, very severly also. Freaking out, I searched symptoms of all sorts of different diseases on the internet. Symtoms were spot on with Parvo Virus. Luckily there is a newly built emergency animal clinic just across town, we raced there, waiting for my grandmother(who thankfully paid for all expenses) to sign paperwork. What makes my blood boil is that the vet tech, and the vet himself said, "He probably doesn't have it, he probably is sick with something else." Getting our hopes so very high just to be shot down with "Sorry but it came out positive, and there is no false positives." Thanks, that was really professional to get my hopes high.

Options: Hospitalization or home treatment? Home treatment, 300$. Hospitalization, over 1,000$! My heart was crushing as I was holding Buddy in my arms terrified of loosing him. The vet tech gave us some BS numbers that 90% of hospitalized dogs live. We wanted to give Buddy the fighting chance he can get, so we did the hospitalization.. Thank God grandmas tax return just came in.

We had to leave him there, and pick him up at 8:00am to take him to our normal vet, were they will hospitalize there. The vet techs and the Veterinarian himself was much more professional but yet very polite and considerate when it came to talking about his condition. Our veterinarian was obviously experienced, he had some years on him, and he explained a lot of his experiences with parvo. He said he had NO NUMBERS and its true there is NO statistics of a dog especially a 7 2 month old puppy surviving parvo. So thanks, emergency vet tech, for filling us with BS and hope once again !

There is no cure for Parvo Virus. The only treatment that is possible is to make sure that the body is staying hydrated and nourished and also that you treat or prevent bacterial infections throughout the process of the awful disease. Buddy always chewed on his catheter, he still has a scar there to this day. He stayed hydrated and alert and was healing along nicely, they ran test and then also found a parasite in his tummy, lucky for us, his condition was good enough to be treated for the parasite also ! On the fourth day he was ready to come home, with a special easy digesting diet planned for him he came home and rested.

The day Bubba came home !<3
Brianna&Bubba.
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Re: Buddys Parvo Story.

Postby Leslie H » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:22 pm

He is adorable, and very lucky to have been adopted by you, who stuck by him in a crisis.
Leslie H
Regulator

Postby FBODGRL » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:53 pm

What a cutie :inlove:

He is a lucky boy to have been adopted by people who could/would afford treatment for him. Parvo is a nasty disease!
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby Brianna&Bubba. » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:45 pm

Thanks ! I always tell people that hes a fighter.
& by that, he has survived parvo, and two pneumonia scares when very young.

:)
Hes a special miracle to us.
Brianna&Bubba.
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby colsen4 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:59 pm

I'm so happy to hear that Buddy made it through parvo!!! Your story sounds a lot like ours. We had our puppy Otto for a day and then had to take him to the e-vet where he was diagnosed with parvo... about $1000 later he's still here and kicking (it's been over 2 years). These dogs are worth it and it's always great to read about another pup who beat that awful virus. Take care Buddy!
colsen4
Newborn Bully

Postby Brianna&Bubba. » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:22 pm

colsen4 wrote:I'm so happy to hear that Buddy made it through parvo!!! Your story sounds a lot like ours. We had our puppy Otto for a day and then had to take him to the e-vet where he was diagnosed with parvo... about $1000 later he's still here and kicking (it's been over 2 years). These dogs are worth it and it's always great to read about another pup who beat that awful virus. Take care Buddy!

Yes were very lucky he made it through those awful days. Today he is very lively and putting on the pounds hes been missing for months. Glad to hear about Otto, hope his health stays that way ! The treatment is unbelievably expensive but well worth the years that we get to share with him now.
Brianna&Bubba.
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Return to Health Issues