? bad knee

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Mortis
Super Bully

? bad knee

Postby Mortis » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:56 am

gunner has started limping on his hind right leg, it actually started after i had been ill for a couple of days so i didn't go out and both dogs just cuddled with me nothing even remotely strenous. well he gets off the sofa one day and wont put any weight on his leg, i thought maybe he trapped a nerve or something because how does a dog hurt himself sleeping?

its a bit better but he isn't using it fully and as he was walking away from me i noticed the muscles in his right leg esp around his knee aren't as big as his left, he has only been gently walking this last week, and whilst he is out doesn't show any leg problems, but as he he doesn't fully weight bear at home i think this is more because he is outside an a muppet.

he is booked in at the vets, but the reason for this post is just before winter when he limped a bit i took him to the vets who said he had a strained muscle and to take it easy for a couple of weeks. he stopped limping and went back to normal after his rest period. my worry is that as his legs are different sizes (not hugely but a bit) could it not have been a strained muscle but something more serious that the vet missed? and could he have been masking the pain so he only looked fine? could it be an ACL thing even though he hurt himself sleeping?

do i need to request a xray to make sure he is fine, or would the vet be able to feel the problem? as last time the vet only felt his leg and admittely he got better visually but now im worrying that maybe it wasn't 100% healed and its been hurting him all winter.

im dreading if he needs an op he was a pain in the behind after his neuter and not been allowed to walk for a week, can you imagine how bad he is going to be if it has to take it easy for several weeks :eek:

he also has a bit of a bully body, and runs like a fat turtle. i can put pics up if anyone wants to see his body shape?

AllisonPitbullLvr

Re: ? bad knee

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:58 am

He likely didn't hurt the leg sleeping. When dogs tear their ACL or CCL, there is not always a moment where you can pinpoint when it happened. When he was sleeping, the leg could have become stiff and sore, hence why this is when you noticed it.

Your doctor may be able to feel a +ve drawer by manipulating the leg but at our clinic at least, they will want to do xrays to confirm a tear.

When you took him to your vet originally, it may have only been a partial tear, and now it's worsened into a fully torn ligament.

The most important thing with any ortho issues is to keep ANY extra weight off your dog. At this point, increasing exercise is not likely a good idea, so start cutting back on kibble/treats.

My first guess is always an ACL tear since it's so damn common. If that's what it turns out to be, there are tons of good threads here about which surgery to choose and how to deal with recovery.

Good luck!

Mortis
Super Bully

Postby Mortis » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:16 am

thank you, i had already cut his food back as i noticed a few weeks ago he was looking tubby.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:01 am

I agree, I have two dogs with ACL tears that we and our vets opted against surgery for so we just function off pain management and the number one rule is never let the dog get fat.

IloveBlu
Matured Bully

Postby IloveBlu » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:49 am

Adrienne, may I ask why you opted against surgery? I'm having to decide what to do about Blu's cruciate tear so I'm just curious.

Sorry to hijack.

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:50 am

Mortis wrote:he is booked in at the vets, but the reason for this post is just before winter when he limped a bit i took him to the vets who said he had a strained muscle and to take it easy for a couple of weeks. he stopped limping and went back to normal after his rest period. my worry is that as his legs are different sizes (not hugely but a bit) could it not have been a strained muscle but something more serious that the vet missed?

The first knee that Molly injured and our diagnosis process with our vet happened in a similar way and she also developed muscle wasting in the leg of the affected knee. It wasn't until our vet referred us to an orthopedic surgeon that we had a concrete diagnosis of the situation so that may be something you want to consider right away rather than another vet visit (unless your vet also does orthopedic work). When she injured her other knee, we skipped the vet and went straight back to the orthopedic surgeon for the consult as after having gone through it once, it was pretty to clear to me that her other CCL had torn also.

It is pretty typical with partially torn CCLs that the limping is intermittent, and it can be very difficult to judge by eye if they are weight bearing on the affected leg.

I can't speak for successes with non-surgical treatment of CCL tears but there is a Yahoo group called orthodogs that was recommended to me and I've heard anecdotally that there can be successful results with things like conservative management. We sort of tried conservative management during the period when we were looking for a surgeon to do Molly's first knee and honestly, I don't think a lot of the requirements are that much different from what is recommended for post-surgical care, and one has to maintain that routine for a much longer time than after having had surgery.

A while ago, another member on here, lilangel, posted some information about orthotic braces for dogs with CCL issues and that may be another option to look into besides surgery. We opted for surgeries for Molly due to her age and activity level (wanted for her to be able to get back to being a dog and run and play) but there are various kinds of risks with all of the different repair options.

Good luck, CCL injuries really suck so I definitely feel for you and Gunner.

Mortis
Super Bully

Postby Mortis » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:46 pm

forgot to update he got anti-inflamm painkillers for 10 days if no improvement then she will do the xray.

he was so excited he kept trying to lick her and wouldn't stop wiggling so she couldn't feel his leg properly, it really didn't help that as soon as he got into the vets his leg was suddenly fine (huh need head banging smilie) started limping when he got home though didn't he :et: if it wasn't for the muscle wastage i would swear he was faking it. lol

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:16 pm

Mortis wrote:he was so excited he kept trying to lick her and wouldn't stop wiggling so she couldn't feel his leg properly, it really didn't help that as soon as he got into the vets his leg was suddenly fine (huh need head banging smilie) started limping when he got home though didn't he :et: if it wasn't for the muscle wastage i would swear he was faking it. lol

haha sounds just like my dog's first knee!
she was intermittantly limping for months, and the vets couldn't be sure what it was. but every time i took her to the vet i had to explain "i swear she was limping before we got here..." <eyeroll>
little buggar never once limped at the vets office!

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:42 pm

Martin did that too. Throw in the fact that he had actually blown BOTH knees, so would switch sides on his intermittant limping, and you have 6 months to a concrete diagnosis.

Mortis
Super Bully

Postby Mortis » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:02 pm

haha glad he isn't the only one, he seems a bit better on it but seems to swing it instead of limping.

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:02 pm

Kingsgurl wrote:Martin did that too. Throw in the fact that he had actually blown BOTH knees, so would switch sides on his intermittant limping, and you have 6 months to a concrete diagnosis.

Pandora did exactly the same thing! I even took her to a chiropractor because the vet didn't really believe me that something was wrong because she never limped in his presence.

Mortis
Super Bully

Postby Mortis » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:28 pm

he is booked in next week for his xray as there has been no improvement. :( i wonder if he has over stretched it as he does love putting his hind legs behind him, and he does drag them off the sofa. anyway wish him luck, im really nervous about him going under GA :(

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:42 pm

Sending you both happy vibes. Remain calmmmmm. :hug:

Mortis
Super Bully

Postby Mortis » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:47 pm

thank you, i know im being irrational but when ever i think of it i get butterflies

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:52 pm

I do, too. It's natural. Everything will be fine.

Return to “Health Issues”