Isabeau gagging/swallowing/snoring...?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
RescueAPBT
Matured Bully

Isabeau gagging/swallowing/snoring...?

Postby RescueAPBT » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:23 pm

I wasn't quite sure what to title this thread as. Isabeau has recently had Mast Cell Tumors removed, but has been doing okay. Her incisions all healed up, and I haven't seen any new tumors. I have no idea if this new behavior could be related, but just wanted to give a bit of her recent medical history.

Yesterday evening, Isabeau started licking everything. The carpet, the couch, the tile floor, etc.. She also started doing this swallowing motion where her head kind of stabs forward a little bit, and for a moment I thought it was a hiccup, but I felt her body, and it wasn't moving. She did this continuously for several hours. She wouldn't rest, sat staring at me with a long sad face, like she was absolutely miserable.

She also started to hack, like she was going to throw up...and after a couple hours of doing that, she finally threw up her dinner from earlier. Afterwards, she continued the head/swallowing motion. Shortly before midnight, she hacked up a small hairball (my guess is she collected hair from licking the carpet). She seemed to relax after that, so I thought she was over it. We went to bed, and she proceeded to start this snoring/groaning noise. Isabeau has never snored or groaned. She's a silent sleeper. It struck me as very odd. She slept through the night though without getting up.

When we got up today, she seemed fine. No more of the licking/swallowing/trying to vomit. She ate her breakfast, she was fine. She ate dinner, she was fine. A couple hours ago, she started this same swallowing motion. It doesn't seem like she trying to vomit. I've looked in the back of her mouth, even ran my fingers back there to see if there was anything stuck that might be irritating it. IDK what the problem is. Now she is sleeping again, and snoring. I'm starting to wonder if there is something in her throat that could be causing this??? Like I said, she's eating and drinking normally, she's also having normal stools and is urinating fine. Anyone ever experienced anything like this? If it continues tomorrow, I'm taking her to the vet.

spammie

Re: Isabeau gagging/swallowing/snoring...?

Postby spammie » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:45 am

No idea what's going on. but I would vet check her today. I always worry about obstructions of some degree. Let us know how she is.

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:32 am

spammie wrote:No idea what's going on. but I would vet check her today. I always worry about obstructions of some degree. Let us know how she is.

X2

Where were her MCT removed from?

RescueAPBT
Matured Bully

Postby RescueAPBT » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:01 am

Her MCTs were removed from her side and hip area. Once again, she's been acting normal since we woke up. She's not doing any of the swallowing/gagging stuff and ate her breakfast and seems perfectly normal. She went out to the bathroom and is still having normal stools and urination. She's asleep now, with only a very, very faint snoring sound. I don't think there is an obstruction, since she's able to eat and poop normally. I don't understand why it's happened two nights in a row, but never during the day. I haven't taken her to the vet, since the symptoms have once again disappeared. If I keep seeing a pattern of this happening every night, or it starts happening during the day, we'll be going to the vet.

Cat24
Adolescent Bully

Postby Cat24 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:51 pm

my girls do the licking, gagging, weird stuff when they feel sick, usually it's because I haven't spaced their meals apart properly. could you try splitting her evening meal a little more and see if that helps?? As for snoring, I have two loud sleepers, can't help you there.

Return to “Health Issues”