Dirty Dirty Ear or something more?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
spritecann
Newborn Bully

Dirty Dirty Ear or something more?

Postby spritecann » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:02 am

My Garrett is just over a year old and he scratches his ear nd it scabs also the same ear is very dirty with dark brown wax i assume coming out of it when i clean his ear. No matter how often i clean his ear its always there. He is'nt constantly scratching his ear or even above average and i keep his nails short so its not that his nails are to long. If this persists i will be taking him to the vet but he's had the same issue before when he was 6months old and with just basic cleaning it went away but now its back so Does any one have any suggestions of what this can be and how to take care of this with at home?

RescueAPBT
Matured Bully

Re: Dirty Dirty Ear or something more?

Postby RescueAPBT » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:38 am

If it's very dark, almost a dirt-like substance...then it sounds like he has ear mites. When dogs have ear mites, you could literally clean the ear every day, and it would still be dirty. I would definitely make an appointment at the vet to get it properly diagnosed and treated.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:17 pm

dried blood can look like dirt too.

I'd say a vet visit is in order to eliminate the possibility that it is an infection.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:35 pm

Ear mites are extremely uncommon in dogs... In fact I've never seen ear mites in dogs.

As a general rule, if you need to clean ears more than once a week or there is itching, head shaking, redness, excessive wax or odor you should see your vet for a probable ear infection.

RescueAPBT
Matured Bully

Postby RescueAPBT » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:22 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:Ear mites are extremely uncommon in dogs... In fact I've never seen ear mites in dogs.

As a general rule, if you need to clean ears more than once a week or there is itching, head shaking, redness, excessive wax or odor you should see your vet for a probable ear infection.

Really? It's been very common here. Dogs were diagnosed with them on daily basis at the vet hospital I worked at. Saw plenty of dogs with the same symptoms at the grooming shop as well. Could it be a regional thing?

Amie

Postby Amie » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:57 pm

Definitely see your vet, but out of curiosity, what is he eating?

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:17 pm

RescueAPBT wrote:Really? It's been very common here. Dogs were diagnosed with them on daily basis at the vet hospital I worked at. Saw plenty of dogs with the same symptoms at the grooming shop as well. Could it be a regional thing?

Based on color of wax or microscopic analysis??? I guess it could be regional but in dogs I associate dark wax with malassezia in dogs. Cats are a completely different story.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:34 pm

Pirate's very dark wax was diagnosed as yeast. He never had a full fledged yeast infection in his ears, just a lot of build up. I cleaned them a lot, and put Otomax in occasionally (as recommended by my vet), until I finally started adding BacPak Plus to the dogs' food, and he hasn't had a yeast problem since.

For the dog in the OP, I'd probably take him to the vet and get it checked out, in case it's infected.

Return to “Health Issues”