*Whack a tail*

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

*Whack a tail*

Postby luvnstuff » Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:38 pm

Wow.. blood on the walls.. (was going to title this thread that, but thought it would attrack the wrong thoughts)
Blood on the doors... blood here ..blood on my pants.. what the heck?
Blood on the trash can in the hall?
I panic..call in the foster dogs who were outside.. the two bigger ones, Scooter the pittie one of them.. start checking heads, lips.. what the heck?
The notice fresh blood on the door..and one happy wagging and whacking tail.
MY gawd.. she has whacked her tail so hard and has broke it open?
Being a black dog I didnt see this was the injured spot..and there is literally a whacked hole near the end of it!
I wrapped it (it held for overnight believe it or not) with bandaids of all things..
But..
wow
I knew her tail was dangerous..but gez.
This dog needs a wagging lesson?

Is this common in happy rope tailed pitties???
luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby kendall » Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:42 pm

I've heard about it a lot... it's never happened to Levi though. Ugh, I shudder just to think about it!
kendall
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Aiaylasdream » Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:43 pm

This happened to one of my friend's labs. They had to have the tail docked after that. :(
Aiaylasdream

Postby luvnstuff » Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:46 pm

GAWD..docked !! Really , I hope we dont have to do that!!! You think it would hurt.. she has bruised me with her tail , and you should hear it when it whacks stuff!! I would think too that it would hurt her to wag it so hard..
luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby kendall » Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:50 pm

I think for dogs who do it often (like daily!) docking is sometimes just the most logical step. If I had a dog who would break his/her tail open very often like that, I would go for docking. I would hate to do it... but damn, it's gotta be painful. Not to mention the blood getting everywhere and the risk of infection they have when walking around with an open wound... :dunno: I really hope it doesn't get to that point with your girl though.
kendall
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby luvnstuff » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:08 pm

egads me too Grace, but I sure see what you are saying. And if she keeps whacking it open, and infection DID set in..egads..
I suppose there is no anti tail wagging training is there.. :sad:
Maybe I should bungee it to her leg.. ( l o l ...just kiddin...) I think I will just keep wrapping it for now. The gauze stuff is too big, and the bandaids seem to be holding ..well until she whacks it off..but at least it seems to cushion it a bit..
gez

CAUTION ..dog will ATTACK YOU with Tail..never mind her bully head!
She would whack a burglar unconsious (sp?) :bully:
luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby satanscheerleader » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:11 pm

My friends pit got her tail docked cause she kept splitting it open. The stupid thing is they only hacked off the first couple inches and it was happening again so they hacked off a couple more inches and now she has a really weird length tail. They should of just docked it short the first time.
satanscheerleader
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:19 pm

SUPERGLUE??
Yannnooooooooooo when my hand was all bit up (dog fight a few years ago) they used SUPER GLUE on my hand..
now..
is this just superglue, Ihave heard that it is.. or is it a surgical superglue?
Does anyone know?????

This may be the ticket to letting it heal ???
luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBullPride » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:24 pm

surgical glue u mean?
PitBullPride

Postby Chacie » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:29 pm

My husband uses super glue on his deep cuts all the time, he busts his hands up all the time at work working on the engines on the boat. They always heal fine and the HS (health services) lady who lives down the street said it is fine for him to do that, because i was talking to her about how i hated it and thought he should have had stitches about 20 times since i have known him.

I know it is fine for humans as long as you clean it out really good but im not sure about dogs.

PS: I know....my husband is a FREAK....lol

Good luck
Chacie
Chacie

Postby luvnstuff » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:33 pm

I dont know how much difference there is in surgical super glue and reg super glue, the doc who used it on me said it was pretty much the same stuff...but PRETTY much isnt the same as THE same thing..
hummm
gonna have to look around on this one...
luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby BabyReba » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:40 pm

hey luvnstuff, i know that red from this board has also had a problem with one of her fosters . . . she had to dock because he kept breaking the wound open . . . you might PM her in case she has suggestions. i know she tried hard not to dock so she might have some suggestions for you to keep the tail from being reinjured. poor pups.

my ex's pit bull had happy tail, and he managed to keep the tail bandaged and he didn't have to dock it, but it took a lot of work and rebandaging to keep it from getting infected . . .

good luck!
BabyReba
Regulator

Postby luvnstuff » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:48 pm

Thanks I will look her up. It isnt a big hole (yet) and hope to be nip it in the bud...well that is a bad pun.
Not have to nip the ol bud!
silly dogs...
Maybe if I just keep her pissed off so she isnt happy for a few days?
hahaha, j/k !!!!!
she wiggles so hard and furious it would be hard to piss her off...
luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby Chacie » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:53 pm

Maybe you could clean it out real good and then bandage it up and put a ton of gause (spelling ? lol) around it to add some cushion till it gets better :dunno:

Just a thought

Chacie
Chacie

Postby Aiaylasdream » Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:11 pm

two words: duct tape
Aiaylasdream

Next

Return to Health Issues