*Whack a tail*

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby luvnstuff » Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:14 pm

*ouch* who needs fur huh roflmao

got antibiotic creame on it now and another bandaid wrap..put a pig ear in her head and call it a good few minutes..she has never had a pig ear.. I think she likes it...but they stink..forgot what a stink they had.. (they were donated to us..)
luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby BabyReba » Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:44 pm

pig ears stink, but cow hooves stink worse! lol
BabyReba
Regulator

Postby BudDog » Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:50 pm

Buddy has the thickest tail I have ever seen on a dog. If you are on the ground and you get hit in the face with "The Tail" you feel like he broke your face. He is half Rott and I think they have really thick tails. I even heard one of the reasons they dock their tails is that they are thick and heavy. I guess this causes back problems for Rotties?

Buddy has a bald spot on the tip of his tail from banging it on things. I sure hope it never opens and bleeds all over. We joke around and say Buddy has a lethal weapon. We had to tell the kids to watch out for "The Tail" if they are down on the ground with him. He is a goober and is always wagging it. He is pretty funny to watch. I get a kick out of it. :))

Hope you pup's tail heals fast. Good luck.
BudDog
Matured Bully

Postby Onyxx » Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:23 pm

swayzee (RIP) had this problem, and we were saving up to get her tail docked (both financially and emotionally!). She gave bruises with it too! Good luck! I recommend the tail dock...we tried a million things and nothing ever kept her from doing it.
Onyxx

Postby Red » Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:00 pm

Luvnstuff, I had a big problem with my foster boy Jack as well.He started to damage his tail in the crate and despite the fact that I had a bandage on almost all the time, he was getting worse.The tail was so bad bruised up and raw that it got infected, I tried to avoid the docking but it was just a pain for him.Perhaps you can find a way to pervent more damage with a bandage and this could be a one time accident only.Jack would wack his tail into everything so it became impossible to prevent him from getting hurt more.Here is the thread where I asked for help and someone gave me some good tips for the bandaging: http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=10926.
Try to see if any of those suggestion can work for your dog, you can wait a bit and see how it goes but, if he keeps hurting himslelf, you might want to consider the docking.I cleaned up blood everywhere for a while but the worse part was to see the dog in pain.
Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby mnp13 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:39 pm

luvnstuff wrote:GAWD..docked !! Really , I hope we dont have to do that!!! You think it would hurt.. she has bruised me with her tail , and you should hear it when it whacks stuff!! I would think too that it would hurt her to wag it so hard..

Yup. That's why Connor's tail was docked. You have to be VERY VERY careful. If they are constantly ripping it open the tissue can begin to die off and the resulting infection is nasty and possibly deadly.

Connor's last bone was exposed, so we had it done when he was neutered. It wasn't worth the risk of a second operation. and I don't miss his tail at ALL.

Michelle
mnp13

Postby satanscheerleader » Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:59 pm

Man..... I wish I would of had all my dogs tails docked. They're leathal! lol
satanscheerleader
Addicted to PBF

Postby snwabel » Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:13 am

when I was in a pitbull group a few years ago I read about this lady whose dog had actually broke the end of it's tail she didn't even know about it until one day she was playing with him and she noticed the tip of his tail was turning black they had to dock it. Ever since then i have always worried about my dogs damaging theirs. I hate the thought of having their tails docked because the way i think is they were born with a tail for a reason but sometimes it is the only option.

I am always afraid Oliver will hurt his tail that thing is so huge I have given it it's own name (Herman :) ) he is always hitting things with it he even knocks over drinks sitting on the coffe table the worstthing is when he accidently whips the baby in the head with it :sad: ( which has only happend twice)
snwabel

Postby JCleve86 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:52 am

I remember seeing a pic a while back of a Matrix dog who also suffered from happy tail syndrome. They used a thumb brace on the tip of the tail like this one minus the wrist part...:

Just something you might like to try...
JCleve86
Forum Junky

Postby FlyByNight » Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:31 am

He is half Rott and I think they have really thick tails. I even heard one of the reasons they dock their tails is that they are thick and heavy. I guess this causes back problems for Rotties?

Rottweiler tails were originally docked for hygienic purposes. As cattle dogs and guardians, the tail could become covered in dirt, feces, etc. which could cause infection and would warrant time spent on cleaning it. The same is true with Australian Shepherds. Today, it is purely aesthetic, and docking/cropping is outlawed in many European countries. Here are some pictures of Rottweilers with their tails:

FlyByNight
Super Bully

Postby luvnstuff » Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:48 pm

Thanks Red for the reply. I sure got alot of great ideas. Her tail is still bandaid=ed and doing good right now..but as alot of said...cant control that WHACKING ..my gawd.. This morning I was just trying to aim her entire body as she was whacking everything in site.
Luckily she has a big enough crate , and a wire one that she doenst whack..this may be our saving grace there.

I am not a big cropper of parts..but if she does go to the point where it becomes infected or doesnt heal then it just may be in her future. And as a foster dog and the things that dogs go thru a bit of a tail is a small think :0)
luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby Emi » Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:12 pm

two words: duct tape

To cute, couldn't you see a pup running around with duct tape on their tail roflmao roflmao

Dottie's tail needs to registered as a "Lethal Weapon", phew that thing can get going and is dangerous esp when my husband get's home from work.

I hope your dog's tail will be ok
Emi
Emi
Forum Junky

Postby luvnstuff » Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:08 pm

Yes lethal weapons!! I have been running around with her holding her tail.. l o l .. she gives me a pretty funny look like, wha the heck? But its working...and no blood today and the band aid is still on..
The syringe idea is something to think about.. But wondering how much damgae that is going to do to me and my walls!!! haha.
Picturing doggy with syringe tipped, condom wrapped tail with duct tape and gauze half way down her tail..
I imagine that would get a few looks? :0 )~
luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby matt » Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:55 am

:o

Rottweilers with tails! i dont think i have ever seen one with their tail still attached. man everyone just has them done in the US i guess.

they look really cute with the long tails though. odd, but cute.

good luck luvnstuff.
matt

Postby luvnstuff » Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:04 am

well.. its been a battle.. the bandaid worked for a few days...but once she caught on it was there, I cant get another to stick. Vet wrap tape worked for about two minutes... the second attempt of vet wrap was found in Mojo's face, chewing like a piece of gum...
I even stuck on a mini pad..with gauze in the middle..this actually stayed on for most a day..until she went outside..now somewhere in the snow is a mini pad ..I am sure I wont be the one to find it, as some unsuspecting friend will stumble upon it.. Murphys law.
We are now on the super glue style skin glue. This might work..but its hard to get it on with the fur.. It seems to be holding a BIT..but..I dont see this working past a few good WHACKS.
egads.

I have spent two days wiping blood off walls, cupboards..etc.
every time I think I get it all..she whacks by with a new tiger stripe design....

*fingers crossed*
the good news it does close up here and there, and isnt bleeding alot.. in between whacks.. actually it only bleeds as a marker. (as in when she whacks stuff)
but she is now on to anything I stick on her..
ugh.
luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues