Is RAW low-residue?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Amie

Is RAW low-residue?

Postby Amie » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:30 pm

It has been suggested by a new-to-me vet that one of my cats go on a Low-Residue diet. The two brands suggested were Science Diet I/D and Royal Canin ... uh, whatever their version was.

In researching this online, the description I'm finding of "low residue" sounds and awful lot like raw - low/no grain, easy to digest, lots of moisture.

Is this the case?

The cats were off raw for a while, and then Sterling developed this problem, and he went back on raw, but still had some symptoms that were left over from the kibble days. It's my preference to feed raw to all my animals, and feeding one cat something different is very tricky with these guys!

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Re: Is RAW low-residue?

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:31 pm

What medical problem are they treating with the low residue diet?

I would be fine with raw as a low residue option for most issues.

Amie

Postby Amie » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:50 pm

Suspected megacolon

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:48 am

Ok, that helps.

Low residue is important for megacolon cats. With megacolon, any diet is really a trial and error sort of thing, but low residue is best to prevent overloading the colon.

If you choose to try raw, which I would be OK with, its absolutely imperative you don't overdo the bone (can you do that in cat raw??) because constipation is what starts off the entire process.

The other important part of management is keeping them hydrated, and raw (and canned) are good for that too.

Gym
Newborn Bully

Postby Gym » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:53 am

Once you don't feed bone meals but instead always prepare a balanced meal I don't think there should be any constipation especially if you add some vegetables or grain.

Amie

Postby Amie » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:49 pm

Gym wrote: especially if you add some vegetables or grain.

Adding veggies or grain to raw for cats kind of defeats the overall purpose of raw.

Gym
Newborn Bully

Postby Gym » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:07 pm

Why? It sure beats royal canin or some of the other stuff. If you are a purist I suppose it does but a bit pulverized vegetables isn't going to destroy the cat,it would probably actually benefit from it. You would only need to add it for fibre to keep the cat from getting constipated.
If you can do it without anything then fair play but if it was me I would play it safe seeing as there are no risks to doing it and plenty by not doing it.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:30 pm

Fiber is actually counter-productive in severe megacolon, although it can help in early megacolon. The colon is functionally unable to contract and therefore any bulking of stool only stretches the colon further and makes it less likely the stool will be able to pass through the pelvic canal.

My only concern with a raw diet would be that the stool would be overly hard, and therefore also difficult to pass.

Kahlie
Forum Junky

Postby Kahlie » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:48 pm

Cats are considered obligate carnivores...veggies would rather not have much of a purpose, or benefit, especially when feeding raw....
With dogs, it's a different story...

I have never had my cats' poop be hard when on raw. Dogs, yes, but that's when I over-did the bone...(as I occasionally used knuckle bone, etc., to distract them while I was busy working on stuff, or whatever).
Cats, as they get far more meat, and organ, than bone, ...I've never seen that happen with them.

That said, I've no idea what mega colon is, or what works best on it. Hope the kitty's ok Amie!

Amie

Postby Amie » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:25 pm

I hope so too! It's Sterling, my little gimpy, stubby-tailed love. He went to the ER in February with what appeared to be a blockage, but turned out to be very severe constipation. A few enemas later, I was warned that they hadn't gotten it all, but that hopefully stool softeners would help. It didn't, much. He was back at the vet this past week, when they put him under to do some hard core flushing, and got out stuff that they said was likely in there from before the ER (which is when he went back to raw from a few months of kibble and only occasional raw or canned). The vet who did the total flush wasn't a fan of raw, but made a comment that it was so "dry" which made me think she hasn't seen it done properly - my crew gets about 10% bone in their overall meals, and it's served to them as a soup I add so much water. She's the one who recommended low-residue, and it was in my research of what she and I talked about that I realized all the things I was reading about it sounded an awful lot like raw.

Sterling's totally the coolest cat in existence, and I hate to think that he's going to be sick for the rest of his life. I'll do whatever I can to help him, and hopefully it doesn't come to surgery anytime soon (which is an option, but not one I'm ready to consider at this point).

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:05 pm

Amie wrote:Sterling's totally the coolest cat in existence, and I hate to think that he's going to be sick for the rest of his life. I'll do whatever I can to help him, and hopefully it doesn't come to surgery anytime soon (which is an option, but not one I'm ready to consider at this point).

Avoid surgery... In my experience it doesn't go as well as the literature states...

Return to “Health Issues”