what do you do to keep healthy teeth?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
anashenwrath
Newborn Bully

what do you do to keep healthy teeth?

Postby anashenwrath » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:22 pm

Scylla has always had beautiful, healthy teeth and gums, but lately I've noticed her gums are bleeding a lot when she overdoes it with her toys.

I looked around at the pet store, and a lot of the dental care stuff basically seemed to be simply odd-shaped treats that can get in between the teeth. She already has treats like that. Anything else more recommended/pit bull hardy? Does anyone here brush their dogs' teeth? I'm thinking about trying it, but worry that Scylla would hate it.

Kahlie
Forum Junky

Re: what do you do to keep healthy teeth?

Postby Kahlie » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:16 pm

Raw bones :) (not cooked, boiled, etc)

Depending on size of dog, anything from chicken, duck, or turkey neck. Or beef neck even... It can count towards their daily nutrition as well, so you kind of adjust feeding accordingly.

I've never brushed my dogs' teeth. My 9 yr old, at best now, looks like a 5 yr old...my almost 7 yr old's teeth look like he's 3... My recent rescue's look like he's 1, maybe...(he's 5.5yrs).

ETA: there's lots of info on it on the RAW sticky, but when intro'ing such things, it's recommended to hold one end in hand (with papertowel or some such) and 'teach' the dog to chew, and not just swallow whole :)

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:14 pm

We feed raw too, and before that we gave bones to keep teeth clean :)

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:38 pm

I fed raw :thumbsup:

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:19 pm

When I fed meat/ground bone to the dogs, I was using raw cow bones to clean teeth. The bones were hard on the teeth - started to wear them down at a pretty quick rate.

When I started feeding raw whole animals, I noticed that the fur worked great to scrub the teeth. I now give big bones as rare treats and feed whole prey model to keep my guys' teeth nice and clean.

The wear damage was mostly on my Boxer's teeth and seems to be due to his underbite.

Kahlie
Forum Junky

Postby Kahlie » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:54 pm

BA - were you feeding those big soup bone kinda bones?

Another thing I forgot to add in original post is you don't want to use any weight-bearing bones (of bigger animals), as those ARE hard on the teeth, they do wear them down and could even chip them. It's the easy-to-bite-into kinda bones that are great for teeth cleaning.

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:57 pm

What others said, raw bones are amazing for the teeth. We don't feed raw but Dakota gets raw bones for snacks.

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:16 pm

Our guys are raw fed. Usually I switch to kibble for the winter to get some weight on them, but decided after this past year, just keep them on all year around. Chicken backs are great flossy type of bone to clean teeth, heads are wonderful because of the fur on there to brush the teeth, necks, baby goat legs are good too.

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:57 pm

Kahlie wrote:BA - were you feeding those big soup bone kinda bones?

Another thing I forgot to add in original post is you don't want to use any weight-bearing bones (of bigger animals), as those ARE hard on the teeth, they do wear them down and could even chip them. It's the easy-to-bite-into kinda bones that are great for teeth cleaning.

Yeah, I was feeding the knuckle bones and beef ribs. I'm not sure what other kinds of bones there are - anything smaller than that and they just break them enough to be swallowable.

What are the softer kinds of bones?

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:05 pm

turkey necks, veal, lamb, baby goat legs..those are softer, but still require them to chew and grind.

anashenwrath
Newborn Bully

Postby anashenwrath » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:57 am

ok, well that's a pretty clear vote for trying raw then! I don't think i could switch to a full-raw diet; it would just be too much hassle in a bronx studio apartment. but i can give her raw bones as a treat.

Could someone just talk me through the process of obtaining? I go to the butchers and say, "hi, I'd like a raw turkey neck?" Is that the best to start with? Do i get it with the meat on it? I know there are RAW posts and sites for newbies, but these are assuming a diet change, and this would be a treat to just to help her teeth out.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:21 am

turkey necks have th meat on/in them. The grocery store by my house has them, the pet store I go to also carries them in their raw freezer where they sell the premade raw. I'm gonna guess a butcher would prbably have them to. So all you need to ask for/look for is "turkey neck"

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:38 am

chicken backs are pretty good too, i find those in the grocery store.

anashenwrath
Newborn Bully

Postby anashenwrath » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:26 pm

thanks all!!!

Kahlie
Forum Junky

Postby Kahlie » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:38 pm

BrokenAquarian wrote:
Kahlie wrote:BA - were you feeding those big soup bone kinda bones?

Yeah, I was feeding the knuckle bones and beef ribs. I'm not sure what other kinds of bones there are - anything smaller than that and they just break them enough to be swallowable.

What are the softer kinds of bones?

Seems like maybe your guys need a reminder in how to actually chew before swallowing. My foster forgets (refuses, I should say), so I tend to freeze things for her, and feed that way. She's forced to chew, not just chew once, maybe twice, then swallow... I tried the whole "hold in hand, force them to nibble" She refuses to cooperate...

I'd be inclined to say any bone from smaller prey would work as that. Anything that can be chewed/bitten into, as opposed to knawed on...like, weight bearing bones you just kind of...chomp on, without much success of biting into it (am I making any sense here? lol).

As for bigger prey bones, I think beef/deer/etc neck bone is maybe it? Someone can correct me on that...

Return to “Health Issues”