Benefits of RAW feeding

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Benefits of RAW feeding

Postby FBODGRL » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:56 pm

A some of you know I started feeding Khan raw in late October. I made the switch after repeated allergy issues with food and environmental.

I told my vet that I had switched him not to long after I did (I was actually at the vet with one of my cats at the time)

She saw him for the first time on Thursday when he went in for his heartworm check and yearly exam. She was very impressed with how he looked. She could not say enough about "He looks so great" She said, not that he looked bad before lol But his teeth looked amazing and she was happy to see that his paws were all healed up, not redness or yeast and no sores.

He has lost a few pounds since switching(he wasn't overweight before) His coat is shiny. His allergies are gone (although we will see how he does when spring breaks) Raw has done everything I had hoped.

I will say it hasn't been "simple" as some people say it is. It has been a learning process, but I think we have most of the kinks worked out.

Just thought I would share my experience.

Amie

Re: Benefits of RAW feeding

Postby Amie » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:21 pm

I'm so glad to hear Khan is doing so well!

I frequently say I didn't know what it looked like to see my animals truly thrive until I went to raw - they were doing fine on kibble, no seriously troubling issues (other than I thought chronic ear infections in Oscar, which turned out to be a beef allergy) but they all improved drastically on raw. In fact, when the Universe bumped me up to six cats, I went back to kibble for the convenience, and one of my kittens was diagnosed with a urinary tract issue that raw is extremely beneficial for... and it's looking like one of my adults who has been with me less than a year has another medical issue that may be aided by raw as well!

I know it's not for every pet or every family, but so far I'm extremely satisfied!

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:24 pm

Good to hear! Also glad it seems like you've got the hang of it, I've been following all your questions and reading up myself. We have some minor skin issues and smelly dog breath I'd like to see gone, nothing terrible but I'd really like to switch the dogs to raw and see if it helps, not to mention the less poop thing, hopefully next year if things are stable and I'm debt free I can swing a freezer and meat for them. I have switched the rest of the house carnivores (cat and ferrets), after two years of doing some raw here and there and thinking about it, I'm really paranoid about screwing it up and it seems easier with small animals that I can feed mostly whole prey items. Doing research for the dogs in the meantime and working on the b/f who is not really on board with feeding the dogs bones.

Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Nichole » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:42 pm

I'm glad to hear raw has been doing well for you. My girls have allergy and sensitivity issues and they all pretty much disappeared since going raw. As a bonus - no more horrid gas :)

Sadie is the same age as another SBT bitch and her teeth are noticeably yellow while Sadie's are sparkling white and no bad breath. In later years we will reap the rewards with good dental and gum health :)

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:57 pm

GoingPostal wrote:Good to hear! Also glad it seems like you've got the hang of it, I've been following all your questions and reading up myself. We have some minor skin issues and smelly dog breath I'd like to see gone, nothing terrible but I'd really like to switch the dogs to raw and see if it helps, not to mention the less poop thing, hopefully next year if things are stable and I'm debt free I can swing a freezer and meat for them. I have switched the rest of the house carnivores (cat and ferrets), after two years of doing some raw here and there and thinking about it, I'm really paranoid about screwing it up and it seems easier with small animals that I can feed mostly whole prey items. Doing research for the dogs in the meantime and working on the b/f who is not really on board with feeding the dogs bones.

Yeah I thought I had done enough/all my research before I started. Obviously I still have run into issues here and there as time has went on. There have been times I have been quite upset and thinking I am horrible and screwing things up(even though I have been following the guidelines) We still are not up to the full organ amount, but we will get there. Seeing how much he improved is really what has kept me at it. I have had to remind myself of that a few times ;)

I got a stand up freezer from a used appliance store that I found on craigslist. It was worth it, because it seems like it is easier to organize things than it would be in a chest. I can easily access everything and see what I have in it.

I keep thinking about switching the cats, but I have a couple that are pretty finicky so I don't think they would take to it. I was lucky with Khan he took to it right away and so far there is nothing he has refused to eat.

My vet said that this spring and summer I may still have some issues with his environmental allergies, and that if I do next year will be even better. I plan on just doing our allergy bath routine as I usually do during those seasons.

Gym
Newborn Bully

Postby Gym » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:06 am

I don't think it possible to beat raw in terms of health and satisfaction for the dog.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:51 am

yay! We're doing good on raw aswell, though the dogs are getting kibble once a meal every other day right now. But all of Grendel's hair has grown back and he isnt nearly as itchy! Plus with the coconut oil and fish oil his fur is soooo soft. I think Brie would do well on anything lol.

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:52 am

So glad to hear it!! We've had the same experience. :)

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:46 pm

FBODGRL wrote:My vet said that this spring and summer I may still have some issues with his environmental allergies, and that if I do next year will be even better. I plan on just doing our allergy bath routine as I usually do during those seasons.

Have you ever tried raw local honey for Khan? It might help if some of his environmental/seasonal allergies are pollen-based. There are two distinct allergy seasons here so I always look for locally produced raw honey in the early spring and early fall to give to Molly.

It's so nice to hear that Khan is doing so well with raw :thumbsup:

Return to “Health Issues”