Cone of shame-home alone

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Cone of shame-home alone

Postby luvnstuff » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:10 am

Hey guys. Ideas and experiences of dogs with the "Cone of Shame " and having to be home alone.
Meatball-going for consult today with surgery, but know we are heading into surgery. No other fosters have answered my pleas for him to have a better place to go.
So he is stuck with me.. too many dogs, working a long day at work and will have to leave him alone when I am gone.
I am absolutly worried sick over a dog in a cone or big surgery left all day (there is no option of taking him to work).
If I crate him or in his own room, I worry about the lil walrus lodging it into somewhere. Meatball is not the smartest brick in the patio, this is the same dog that ran into a tire of a moving car in a parking lot ..
Experiences post surgery ?
Crating with cone?
Left alone with cone?

help.
ugh.

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Re: Cone of shame-home alone

Postby dogs4jen » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:19 am

Maybe one of those inflatable collars that do the same things as the cones, but he wouldn't be running into things like with the cone?
I first thought of those neckbrace types, but one of the reviews on amazon said that the inflatable ones worked better.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001VP ... d_i=507846

Hopefully someone who's actually been through this will be more help!

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:34 am

I used the big plastic cone on Lily after her spay and she was in her kennel and she chewed all around the outside of the cone - thankfully she didn't eat it, just spit the pieces all over. So, I don't recommend the regular kind. Sorry the Meatball has to have surgery.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:37 am

you could try one of the soft cones too

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:17 pm

i couldn't leave my dog at home alone in a plastic cone. she'd run into walls, knock things over, and generally stress out/panics. i got an inflatible one, it works waaaay better. i had to tie the top of it to her harness so that she couldn't spin it around and undo the velcro, but it seems to be fairly comfortable for her and she can still drink water/eat/use her treat dispensing toys/etc.

sunnygirl01
Adolescent Bully

Postby sunnygirl01 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:20 pm

Kaytenmags gave me an excellent description (with pictures!) of her setup when I was going through the same thing. It is under my post "Alternatives to the e-collar". If you do a search of my posts you should find it. I havent been a member very long so I dont have very many posts. I have no idea how to link to another post.

The inflatable collar did not work for me though. Bella was still able to get around it to her knee. I ended up dropping her off at the Vet's office every day for "dogsitting". They only charged me $10 per day and it was more than worth it for my peace of mind. I did not try the soft collar. I would probably try that in the future if I had to. Bella still managed to get her staples out twice with the second surgery.

Good luck. I feel for you. It is no fun.

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:39 pm

thanks for the ideas..that inflatable one looks, well bizare. Wonder if it would work with Meatys stature.. all meaty short neck. It looks almost..well tortuous! like a neck stretcher.. l o l But it looks MUCH safer than the traditional ones .
Will do sunnygiril when I get back from the vets.
This is going to be rough on all of us.. send us quick healing thoughts if surgery is in the future..but the fact that he hasnt used that leg now in two weeks, I am pretty sure surgery will be the answer..we will see what the surgeon says. Its almost two hours from home so we are off to the doc!

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:24 pm

sunnygirl01 wrote:Kaytenmags gave me an excellent description (with pictures!) of her setup when I was going through the same thing. It is under my post "Alternatives to the e-collar". If you do a search of my posts you should find it. I havent been a member very long so I dont have very many posts. I have no idea how to link to another post.

here's the link to that thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=144734

this is the collar that i use:

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:25 pm

I was leery of leaving Khan alone with a cone.

I got him the soft cone. I was really nervous the first few times, but he had no problems. Didn't get stuck on anything, knock anything over, etc. He had wear the thing for damn near a month lol

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:15 pm

Do you think a DAP collar or diffuser would help? I think I'm going to be going through this with Roscoe too, shortly, and I know I'm going to be a nervous wreck.

Return to “Health Issues”