What is your feeding routine and how much time do you spend?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
peachesmommy
Adolescent Bully

What is your feeding routine and how much time do you spend?

Postby peachesmommy » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:18 pm

I realized today while making breakfast for the dogs that it's my longest chore of the day. Mealtimes. I put their kibble in their bowls and heat up some canned food to put in it. My little dog has pills I have to mix in as well to get him to eat it. Then I feed them in their spots and have to stand there to monitor because when one gets done they venture off to check out if the other is done. So generally it takes me about 20 minutes total to feed. Do you mix stuff in your dogs food as well? I mix in a tablespoon of warm canned food just for extra taste.

Adrianne

Re: What is your feeding routine and how much time do you sp

Postby Adrianne » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:07 pm

I was to lazy to feed this morning so I'm heading home to feed at lunch. :oops:

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:12 pm

We cleaned out a Fresh Step bucket and put the dog food in it...So I grab the dishes (and muffin tin for Dakota) and put in their food. I have a measuring cup inside the bucket. I bring the bowls inside, and have everyone sit and wait. They have 10 minutes to eat. If they don't finish by then it goes up.

SnowKoi2010
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby SnowKoi2010 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:52 pm

i feed both my dogs before I go to work in the eveings. I feed them a small bit and then my grandmother feeds them again when by brother brings them in (which is a couple hours later which is why I don't feed them much).

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:21 pm

my guys get fed around 11-12pm and again in the late evening (we keep late schedules), when they get raw i just grab some and put them in their crates and then wipe them down. When they get their kibble meals, I add in coconut oil, kelp and bee pollen. They also get fish oil and vit e capsules, it really doesnt take more then 5 minutes.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:22 pm

I feed raw. So today I put a turkey wing on a towel lol

mypuppyJack
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby mypuppyJack » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:39 pm

Raw here and im lazy so I buy the frozen 8 oz patties. 4 a day so jack gets 2 1/2 and ellie gets 1 1/2 a day. In the morning I take them out of the and break one in half and toss them half each. Keeps them occupied for a while. At night they get the remainder which is now defrosted in their bowls with whatever mixins im giving them. Salmon oil, yogurt, jacks spec supplements. Fed in separate rooms because raw is super high value. I agree with them at $3 a lb but I love them on it and hope to continue. The 60 lb box is $180 and that lasts a month. If I bought less at a time its $3.50 a lb.
Oh right-back on topic- 5 minutes a day :)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Postby mommy2kane » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:27 pm

Raw here, too. Generally it's a chicken quarter with some additional beef heart a few times a week. Weekends are chicken backs and organs. It's pretty easy -- we portion out daily bags when we buy the meat in bulk, that way it's ready to go. So, in the morning, we pull out a bag to thaw. In the evening, after dogs are worked, they eat (in kennels/crates).

We buy month supply at a time. About 160 lbs of chicken quarters and 40 lbs of chicken backs -- to feed 5 dogs. That month supply is $88. Then of course the added beef heart and organs from the grocery store.

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:34 pm

I pull out 2 corpses from the "Dog food" fridge drawer and toss them to opposite sides of the porch/yard. 1X a day. :)

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:40 pm

Takes less then a minute, I ration out the kibble, add some fish or coconut oil and feed them, they eat in separate areas and know not to approach each other until they are both done. The dogs are the easiest ones in the crew!

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:53 pm

Two minutes.

Kibble in bowl, thyroid meds in Buddy's, floor, eat. (Occasionally more complicated when Buddy is on other meds)

nic
Forum Junky

Postby nic » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:09 am

I feed twice a day.It only takes about 5 mins.
Put 4 of the dogos in the garden,bring Mindy inside and make her sit and wait in one place while I make it.
Scoop some kibble into bowls,put Mindy outside,call Floozie,Mookie and Bug inside,Shady stays outside with Mindy.
Tell everyone to sit and wait,then release them one by one by their names to eat.Done!

Gym
Newborn Bully

Postby Gym » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:44 pm

Raw to 150-200 takes about 2 and a half hours.
Kibble to 50 takes about an hour.
At home 2 seconds for raw and just one dog.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:12 pm

I haven't really timed it. I put Pirate in his crate (unless he's already in it), round up the 3 dishes, and scoop kibble into them. Measuring cup is in the Vittles Vault. Run water from the faucet into each dish. Tully's meds go into her dish, and I scoop in a little of the Bac-Pak supplement (probiotic/digestive enzymes. Tully currently gets that with each meal, the younger two get it with their evening meal only) For the evening meal, I also scoop in the PlaqueOff (except right now, I'm out of it) into the girls dishes, and squeeze a bit of fish oil into each dish.

Tully's dish then goes onto the kitchen floor, I follow Tess into the living room, put her dish in her crate which she's already in by that point, and latch it, then put Pirate's dish in with him. All food eaten within 3 minutes.

Maybe 10 minutes total? I'm totally guessing here. They occasionally get some raw food added in, which doesn't add much to the overall time, but that probably won't be happening for a while, if ever again, I don't think raw is a good idea with an immuno-compromised dog.

Mortis
Super Bully

Postby Mortis » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:35 pm

on raw so maybe a minute split over two meals? quick to prepare and it really doesn't last long once ive put it down.

Return to “Health Issues”