Picky Eater!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Brianna&Bubba.
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Picky Eater!

Postby Brianna&Bubba. » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:35 pm

So I buy blue buffalo, suppose to be top of the line right? Guess not since from the beginning Buddy has been sneaking off to eat the other dogs food, which could be some kirlkand brand from costco or just pedigree.

Note:The other dog belong to my grandmother and Buddy is me and my boyfriends dog. The reason I want to feed what ever is "top of the line." is because he was a very sick pup and he was all around weak with weak bones, muscle, and his immune system. I want to make sure he is getting good vitamins and protien. But he doesnt like Blue, he wants the normal brands of food.

He will eat the Blue, but he wont eat it unless we grab it ourselves and put it in front of him, he wont just walk up to his bowl, he wants us to feed it to him? *When he was a little pup he was fed three times a day with small servings because he was sick and had to monitor his eating. As soon as we could we stop having to monitor his eating habits we jsut set his bowl out full of food, ever since then he doesnt want to eat it unless we feed it to him, but he will with the other dogs food?

Should I try a different kibble brand?
Im not interested in raw.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Re: Picky Eater!

Postby starrlamia » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:27 am

First of all stop free feeding all of the dogs in the house, or at least him and keep him away from the other dog food. Put food down and give him 10-15 minutes to eat it, if he doesnt put it up and try again at next feeding time. He will start eating.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:16 am

:goodpost:

mypuppyJack
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Re: Picky Eater!

Postby mypuppyJack » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:06 am

AllisonPibbleLvr wrote::goodpost:

X2
btw kirkland brand isn't a bad food. I fed their lamb and rice before switching to raw

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Gym
Newborn Bully

Postby Gym » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:33 pm

Sound like the dog is never hungry because you leave the food out all the time.Lower quality foods tend to have more enticing aromas and flavour than better quality ones.

highflyergirl19
Adolescent Bully

Postby highflyergirl19 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:48 pm

I have a picky eater too, but once I switched to Wellness puppy food and stopped free feeding he got rid of some of that! If he's really good though I'll give him a spoonful of plain yogurt in his food at dinner time! :)

kellienurse
Newborn Bully

Postby kellienurse » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:29 pm

What about Ultra Nutra?? I have been feeding my dog this only problem is I have trouble finding it. The store I usually get it from had to order it and give me a rain check. I know I can get it from Petsmart I'm just not usually close to one.

spammie

Postby spammie » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:43 pm

kellienurse wrote:What about Ultra Nutra?? I have been feeding my dog this only problem is I have trouble finding it. The store I usually get it from had to order it and give me a rain check. I know I can get it from Petsmart I'm just not usually close to one.

here is a brief (okay..it's 55 pages) thread on dog food.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23039&start=15

Kahne131
Matured Bully

Postby Kahne131 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:16 pm

starrlamia wrote:First of all stop free feeding all of the dogs in the house, or at least him and keep him away from the other dog food. Put food down and give him 10-15 minutes to eat it, if he doesnt put it up and try again at next feeding time. He will start eating.

X100

I work at an "up scale" pet food store people come in ALL the time saying "my dog wont eat anything".... The dog will NOT starve himself. I think blue is an alright food it is not that first thing i would recommend but its good. Also every dog i have ever seen that fee feeds is over weight and picky.
Kahnes a picky eater on top of the fact that we really think hes allergic to every protein besides fish, He eats salmon and oatmeal GO! natural his coat has become amazing and he loves the food. We also always feed the dogs out of puzzles or the kong wobbler and it seems like the challenge makes them eat more.
A list of foods i would highly recommend if available near you are (in no order)...
Orijen and Acana
Lotus ( i have had only one person come back and say there picky dog wont eat it)
Go! natural and NOW!
Taste of the wild (best price)
Soiled Gold
Fromm

Also from some of your other post i would really recommend not leaving food around your dog seems to already being going through some issues with other dogs and you dont want food to be a trigger to a fight that leads you to C & R with two or more of the dogs in your house hold

kellienurse
Newborn Bully

BARF vs home cooked dog food??

Postby kellienurse » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:28 pm

After reading up on the web about dog foods I don't think I want to feed my dogs commercially prepared food anymore. I beieve I can cook and prepare much healthier food for them. I am also considering BARF but still haven't decided which will be best. I will research more but what are your thoughts forum peeps??

Kahne131
Matured Bully

Re: BARF vs home cooked dog food??

Postby Kahne131 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:56 pm

kellienurse wrote:After reading up on the web about dog foods I don't think I want to feed my dogs commercially prepared food anymore. I beieve I can cook and prepare much healthier food for them. I am also considering BARF but still haven't decided which will be best. I will research more but what are your thoughts forum peeps??

I really think if anyone can cook food for there dogs great. I really dont have the time and i dont really have the money to buy raw fish for kahne. You should look into the Dr. Harveys and the Honest kitchen dehydrate food, you add your own cooked or raw meat it makes it a little easier since you dont need to supplement yourself yet you know everything going into your dog, Also Canadian food such as Orijan and Acana i have found are better because Canada has better guide lines for the food then the US

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Re: BARF vs home cooked dog food??

Postby starrlamia » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:26 pm

kellienurse wrote:After reading up on the web about dog foods I don't think I want to feed my dogs commercially prepared food anymore. I beieve I can cook and prepare much healthier food for them. I am also considering BARF but still haven't decided which will be best. I will research more but what are your thoughts forum peeps??

i believe raw to be a much better diet then cooked, because you are not losing nutrients, however you need to make sure you do a ton of research before starting either, as doing it improperly could cause a nutrient deficiency in your dog.

Timas Mom
Matured Bully

Postby Timas Mom » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:25 pm

www.dogaware.com

Lists recipe, supplements, (especially calcium) if you are cooking.
Also great for raw info too.

Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shoshana » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:21 pm

I know all about picky eaters.

Not Peanut. I dogsit for my friends and both of their male dogs are/were picky. The older one eats just fine now most of the time (unless he gets annoyed that the younger male is getting too much attention)

What everyone has said before is true.

Give him 15-20 min to eat then pick it up.

Peanut is happy eating Blue (Chicken and rice)

All 3 of the younger dogs I'm dogsitting eat Blue also (the older male eats one of the Nutro Senior kibbles).

The younger male is finicky but I have discovered that if I throw the tennis ball a few times an hour before he eats he seems to focus better on the food. He also hates fish so no fish kibble. He eats the Simple Solutions from Blue.

I try not to put anything in his bowl (like chicken) but if he refuses to eat, and I pick it up and he still won't eat a few hours later I will put a sliver of cooked chicken in. Once he takes that first bite he usually finishes.

Are there a lot of distractions around? Maybe he needs a quieter place to eat?

And as far as finicky dogs being fat, the dogs I've know that were finicky were seriously underweight (and all ball crazy) The older dog is a good weight now but he used to be skinny. The younger one is still skinny - all ribs are showing, spine, hipbones. But he does eat 4 cups of food a day. He is just very active. And has good muscle and skin/fur so the vet says he's ok.

Return to “Health Issues”