Flea and Tick.....

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Flea and Tick.....

Postby Kahne131 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:37 pm

So we have always used "earth animal internal powder" and "vets best flea and tick spray" and Never have got fleas or have ever found a tick on the dogs but the earth animal has chicken in to and with Kahnes allergies he cant have chicken i dont want to chance it since hes been doing so good. I dont feel like the spray would be enough alone and i will not use frontline ect to many chemicals for my taste. Does any one have any suggestions on natural supplements that work good for fleas and ticks, he can only have fish for proteins.
Kahne131
Matured Bully

Re: Flea and Tick.....

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:21 am

Whats in the vets best spray???

I'd bet money its more dangerous than frontline!!!

Turns out, I was right!! Essential oils are not good for dogs/cats, I see numerous cases of sensitivities, and have personally seen a yorkie that almost died from a shampoo containing essential oils.

94% of the product is Sodium Lauryl Sulfate... a CHEMICAL used in household cleaners...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_dodecyl_sulfate
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kahne131 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:03 pm

I have heard different things about Essential oils being good and bad for dogs but more good, I have been using the vets best spray for 2 years now and i have co workers that have been using it for years now with no issues.

I think you might have read the label wrong or a different label the spray is 96.30% water and Sodium Benzoate ( which is in soda and salad dressing)
There is Sodium Lauryl Sulfate but its 2.70% which i ran by my vet and a bio chemist before using and they both said that low of a percent is fine and no harm. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate is found in many toothpaste, soaps, and shampoo with the same low percentage.

I have have great success with it and have even used it on myself when in deep woods or around a dog that does have fleas. Not once have my dogs ever had fleas or even a tick.
Kahne131
Matured Bully

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:43 pm

Kahne131 wrote:There is Sodium Lauryl Sulfate but its 2.70% which i ran by my vet and a bio chemist before using and they both said that low of a percent is fine and no harm. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate is found in many toothpaste, soaps, and shampoo with the same low percentage.

So a low percentage of something used to degrease motor parts is acceptable, but a low percentage of the same spray used on foods is not??

Ok, to each their own, but I like my chemicals better :D
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby buckaroo » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:45 pm

Exactly what chemicals in Frontline are you worried about on your dog?

If you really want to understand which chemicals to fear then you need to learn some more about chemistry. There are many many compounds that would kill you in a concentration of 2.7%.

Also, if you're really worried about chemicals, you'd cut SLS out of anything you use on or in your body.
buckaroo
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby mtlu » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:05 pm

I'm not of sure of the efficacy on ticks but I have been rubbing food-grade diatomaceous earth into Molly's coat to combat fleas. I've actually never seen a flea on Molly (but her coat is mostly black) but she will itch once in a while. The DE works by drying out the adult fleas, larvae and eggs. In general, it's pretty safe to use (and I have used it in the house to get rid of fleas leftover from a previous tenant when we first moved in) but since it's a fine powder, you don't want yourself or your dog to breathe in too much of it while you're applying it as it can cause some irritation in the nasal passages.

I have used a different kind of spray that is also essential oils but contains mainly citronella and eucalyptus.

If we've been out hiking, I make sure to check Molly over very carefully (using my fingers, not just by eye) to feel for any little bumps that might be ticks of something.
mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:40 am

mtlu wrote: In general, it's pretty safe to use (and I have used it in the house to get rid of fleas leftover from a previous tenant when we first moved in) but since it's a fine powder, you don't want yourself or your dog to breathe in too much of it while you're applying it as it can cause some irritation in the nasal passages.

Change this to "if you breathe in too much it will cause a massive inflammatory reaction and possibly DEATH"

I hospitalized three cats after a similar compound (benign dry powder, only an issue when inhaled) used in insulating a coffee thermos was released into the home via a broken screw on the handle.

All three cats required extensive hospitalization, and one required oxygen for 10 days before she was able to breath well. She has a permanently collapsed lung lobe, and will likely always have problems with asthma related to the incident.

I've never seen an issue with diatomaceous earth, but the potential is there, and it will cause far more than mild irritation if inhaled.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Return to Health Issues