So...I'm freaking out....again

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

So...I'm freaking out....again

Postby Jazzy » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:35 am

In case anyone remembers the cancer scare of last month that involved several vet visits, seeing an oncologist and then finding a new vet...

I am trying not to over react to this. I am also trying to not go immediately running to the vet, because that seems to get me in more trouble than it solves.

A couple of weeks ago I noticed Veronica has having trouble with her right hind leg. When she got up from sleeping she was limping on it and not putting any weight on it. It didn't seem to actually hurt her very much if at all, and she let me check it out and rub it and manipulate it and that didn't seem to bother her. I thought that she had slept on it the wrong way and it had fallen asleep because I was able to massage it and then get her to walk it off and she was fine.

It has happened a couple of times after that; after physical activity; not during the activity or immediately after the activity...but after the activity, she goes to sleep and then gets up and then limps on the back paw.

On Sunday all it took was a 2 hour walk with Socrates and it happened that night. She can walk it off in under a minute...but since it's been happening more often; I've been watching her like a hawk and she seems to be favoring the right hind leg ever so slightly.

My plan is to "bench her" for a couple of weeks. No agility and no long walks; and then maybe let her try agility class but not push her if she seems completely better in a few weeks.

One of my agility instructors said it sounded like a partially torn ACL. She preferenced that with "not to freak you out"...which of course, immediately freaked me out.

Any thoughts? Any possibility it could just be a pulled muscle? I guess it's just watch and wait.

It really doesn't seem to bother her much; but of course I don't want to aggravate it or make it worse. I'm hoping it will just go away on it's own even if I have to permanently curtail her activity. Truth be told, she does agility for me -she would much rather go shopping. :oops:

Amie

Re: So...I'm freaking out....again

Postby Amie » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:12 am

I'm clearly no vet, but the coming and going sounds slightly like luxating patella to me. I don't know.

Can you maybe talk to Granny about how extra weight will hurt joints more? ;)

Jazzy

Postby Jazzy » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:36 am

Amie wrote:I'm clearly no vet, but the coming and going sounds slightly like luxating patella to me. I don't know.

Can you maybe talk to Granny about how extra weight will hurt joints more? ;)

I've been doing that for the past 3 years.

I think she may have gained weight because the last time we were at the vet she was down to 50 pounds and I think Grammy may have taken that as a sign that she could "splurge".

I have an appointment to get her nails clipped at the vet this Friday. I am going to ask them to weigh her and I am going to call this morning to see if the doc will be around and if there is any chance they can take a quick look at the leg.

WHY is it always something???? I want to be one of those people that takes their dog to the vet once a year, feeds it old Roy, opens the door and forgets about the dog until it comes home on it's own and then lives to be 17.
(OK not really; but WTH??? That's exactly what my in-laws did; never worried about the dog a day in their lives and the damn dog lived happy and comfortably until it was 17. It's not fair).

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:56 am

People whose dogs live that way DO have health conditions, they just go long unnoticed. (I can't tell you how many dogs with "bad hips" I've seen, when they dog really has a torn ACL).

I'm so jaded from the sheer number of torn ACL's that I see, that anytime I see a medium/large breed dog lame on a hind leg, I automatically assume that's what it is.

I think this warrants a trip to the vet.

:hug:

Jazzy

Postby Jazzy » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:13 am

I called the vet.

I am liking this new practice.

When I bring her in on Friday for a nail trim; she can also see her vet for an exam.

Can you guys please send good vibes for a benign spain. Even if it's unlikely...

I guess I'm okay with her agility career biting the dust ( I mean let's face it; we were not destined for greatness) but I hope she will still be able to enjoy long walks and romps with the boyfriend. :(

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:27 am

in my experience, luxating patellas usually comes with a specific kind of goofy walk. an intermittant 'hop'. tons of small dogs around here have that, but i've only known one pit bull with it.

the soreness after resting does sound like a crutiate issue :(
that's how my dogs first knee went. gradually, she got more sore, it took longer to walk it off, it was quicker to get sore again... vet suspected a partial tear (surgery revealed a full tear).

on a more positive note (because i think you need one lol) if it's a partial tear, you may be able to avoid surgery and improve things with some conservative management!

Jazzy

Postby Jazzy » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:06 am

kaytenmags wrote:on a more positive note (because i think you need one lol) if it's a partial tear, you may be able to avoid surgery and improve things with some conservative management!

I am checking this hourly at work between clients; and I just fell a little bit in love with you.

Thank you; let's definitely hope that surgery can be avoided!!!!

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:22 am

I hate to say this, but those were Riddle's exact symptoms when she did the partial tear in her ACL. :(

IloveBlu
Matured Bully

Postby IloveBlu » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:32 pm

These are very similar to Blu's symtpons. See my thread above. I was in completely ACL denial for several days - and still am sometimes.

Still totally possible that's it's not an ACl so don't panic 100% until she's examined.

Thinking good thoughts.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:10 pm

Amie wrote:Can you maybe talk to Granny about how extra weight will hurt joints more? ;)

I'm so sorry but the extra weight is really rough on the joints.

If it is an ACL tear (usually luxating patellas show up earlier, not always) losing the weight will help. Maybe an injury threat will scare Granny into easing up? Is there a possibility of finding some veggies or low fat treats that V likes and you can stock Grannys fridge/cookie jar with them instead? Or limit what you feed V knowing Granny will over feed?

Also I would start her now if she's not already on a joint supplement. I started both Shamoo (with an ACL tear that will never be fixed) and Arnold (with no joint issues but he'll be 7 this summer and he's slowing down on me) and I'm liking the results. Shamoo gets a whole one and Arnold gets a half once a day.

Also I keep Arnica (and was recently recommended Tramadol) on hand for Shamoos bad days and I give all four dogs fish oil with their meals once a day.

All the best thoughts and prayers for V, I have had a dog with a luxating patella, a broken knee and two with ACL tears. They're no fun but things can be done for management! :hug:

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:48 pm

Sending good thoughts to Miss V and to you and hoping that it isn't a CCL issue :hug:

trip8581
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby trip8581 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:17 pm

I am dealing with a similar issue with Roc right now and am concerned that it may be a torn ACL as well. He has been favoring his left hind leg for a few weeks now. At first it was on and off, but now it is pretty much all of the time. He will let me do whatever I want to the leg and does not act painful, but he is a staffy so who knows. I plan on taking him to work with me this week to have the vet exam him and see what they think. I am hoping it is something that can be managed w/o surgery as I do not have the funds for it at this point coming off of Rain's cancer treatment and I don't get my discount at work for another month and a half.

So good thoughts to you and Miss V as I have an idea as to what you are going through right now! Let's hope both Roc and V have very minor injuries!

Jazzy

Postby Jazzy » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:18 pm

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences and well wishes for Ms. V.!

I'm going to try not to have a complete cow between now and Friday and I'll let you know how we make out.

Trip - I am sending healing thoughts your way for Roc; I can't imagine dealing with this on top of cancer. :hug:

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:03 am

Sending positive thoughts to Miss V and you too!

As far as luxating patellas go...Khan has one and the symptoms described sound nothing like what he has. His always shows up during and activity. Mostly sliding type things like dog or running and sliding for the ball. Then he will do a quick limp or kick out the leg . He was not diagnosed until he was an adult and he never had any issues with it for at least the first year he was with me, probably more. When I originally took him in it was popping out all the time multiple times a day. Then it basically stopped. Occasionally it will happen, but for now they do not recommend surgery for him.

nsbullylover
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby nsbullylover » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:10 am

Although I've never had a dog with this issue, I can sympathize with your tendency to freak out whenever something is a bit "off". Just reading your thread made my heart beat a little faster lol

I hope that it turns out to be nothing but a silly little sprain :pray

Return to “Health Issues”