Joint Supplements?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Joint Supplements?

Postby MissKitty » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:19 pm

I am always paranoid about Apollo's health, so bare with me lol

Because he is so active and beats his body up pretty badly, I was looking at joint supplements.
Can these be used as a 'precaution', I know it won't stop any problems if they are coming, but I am thinking it could possibly help a little? Would it hurt at all to start him early, when he has no symptoms?
Any suggestions for good supplements?

Of course I will bring it up with his vet, but his next scheduled appointment is a ways off.

SnowKoi2010
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: Joint Supplements?

Postby SnowKoi2010 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:05 pm

I am using a brand that is for Active dogs. I don't see why it would hurt. I actually put snow on it when I suspected her of having HP. And when I told the vet she was on them he said that it was a good idea. Having a very active dog on Joint Supplements wont hurt it at all IMO.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:45 am

I use Osteo Bi flex triple strength (human kind) which is what I was advised to use by my vet. I was also told that these type of supplements should be used to slow down/stop arthritis that may occur. I think I am explaining that right.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:32 am

We, along with a lot of other sport families we know, use Glyco-flex. I have Hank and Levi (5 and 3) on level 1. Franny (who is 7) was on level 3 after she had some elbow limping but is now down to level 2. I also use a TON of Salmon oil.

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:00 am

Osteo Bi flex triple strength (human kind)

Ditto!

I also give fish oil, kelp, coconut oil, bee pollen (organic), biotin, and Vitamin C.

elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby elegy » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:03 am

The word from the sports medicine vets I've seen is to start supplements (glucosamine/chondroitin/msm) at a year and stay on them for life.

My Border Collie takes Dasuquin, which is a bit spendy. The other medication recommended (and said to be more "natural") is Glycoflex 3.

My pit bull with her bad knees takes GNC Pets Ultra Mega Hip and Joint formula. I impulse bought it at Petsmart, and she did better on that than on the Dasuquin, so I've kept her on it. It's spendy also, though their lower-level, lower-dose products aren't quite as much. She's got some pretty significant arthritis, so I went for their most intense formula.

Also recommended is fish oil daily.

Maven
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Maven » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:05 pm

I use Dasuquin. Great product!

Cat24
Adolescent Bully

Postby Cat24 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:28 pm

We use human grade Glucosimine HCl /Condroitin(sp?) , were were specifically told to look for HCl and not Sulfate(which is easier to find) because dogs don't absorb the sulfate properly.

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:13 pm

FBODGRL wrote:I use Osteo Bi flex triple strength (human kind) which is what I was advised to use by my vet. I was also told that these type of supplements should be used to slow down/stop arthritis that may occur. I think I am explaining that right.

What's the dosage you use if you don't mind my asking?

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:21 pm

Absolutely you can use them before any issues show up. I use Glyco-Flex for both of my dogs and am very happy with the results. I buy it on Amazon.com, that seems to be the cheapest source. :)

Fish oil is also good for joints (and overall health).

SnowKoi2010
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby SnowKoi2010 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:00 am

Just regular fish oil like what you can buy in the store as vitamins, or is there actually tablets for dogs? (If so I haven't seen them yet).

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:04 am

Stormi wrote:
FBODGRL wrote:I use Osteo Bi flex triple strength (human kind) which is what I was advised to use by my vet. I was also told that these type of supplements should be used to slow down/stop arthritis that may occur. I think I am explaining that right.

What's the dosage you use if you don't mind my asking?

The triple strength. 1 pill 2x a day.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:34 am

Glucosamine HCl will help support good joint health, and omega-3 FA's (especially EPA in dogs and DHA in cats) will help repair damage already done.

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:04 pm

My homeopath told me to go ahead and use it pre-emptively. I've increased Xanny's dose, as she was looking kind of stiff, and give some to Soleil, but I can't give them much, or they get loose stools. Right now everyone's looking sound, knock on wood, but they use themselves pretty hard. I use Liquid Health K9 Glucosamine w/MSM, and NOW brand Omega 3 fish oil (all 3 dogs get that).

Rachel&Halo
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Rachel&Halo » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:29 am

by FBODGRL » April 14th, 2011, 2:45 am
I use Osteo Bi flex triple strength (human kind) which is what I was advised to use by my vet.

Neat. I'm going to try that out.....trial for Halo.

Return to “Health Issues”