changing food

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
july_hymn
Matured Bully

changing food

Postby july_hymn » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:18 pm

Hi everybody,

About 10 days ago we switched Greta's food from Iams to Wellness, after reading a good deal of articles on what to feed. She LUH-HUUUUVVVS it. When we gave her the Iams, she would sometimes eat right away, sometimes wait a few hours, sometimes let it sit overnight. She was maintaining a healthy weight so I didn't worry too much about it. Now after a week and a half on the Wellness (the first 3 or so meals we mixed with Iams to ease the transition) she scarfs her food the second I put it in front of her. What's the problem, you ask? THE POOP. She used to have one poop (occasionally two) per day, and it was (at the risk of crossing over into sounding gross) nice and firm. Now it's two, sometimes three per day and they are very soft. And yesterday I had just brought her back from inside, went upstairs, came back down, and there was runny poop on my carpet.

What gives? Is this a transitional thing still? I ask because when we brought her home, she didn't seem to have any problems adjusting from her previous food to the Iams. Also it's been going on long enough that I'm starting to become more concerned. If it had stopped after 2-3 days, it would be a different deal. Any thoughts? I don't want my doggy to be sitting around every day with the tummy gurgles!

trexgorawrrrrr
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: changing food

Postby trexgorawrrrrr » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:41 pm

I think you may have moved things along too fast, not sure.

I have always read that it should be a slow process. Like the first week doing a 25% new food, next week doing a 50%, third week doing 75% change, and then on the fourth week would be the new food only. This is how we changed our dog's food twice & have never had any problems.

I hope someone comes along with more info soon, but it wouldn't hurt to call and talk to your vet about it. If they suggest you bring her in due to mooshy poos, then I would do that.

Did the runny poo inside happen while you were home or away? Maybe she had to go, but because it was runny she wasn't able to hold it? Just a thought, not sure if you were home though.

JoeBingo
Addicted to PBF

Postby JoeBingo » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:52 pm

10 days should be long enough for any transitional adjustment from what I've read and what I know from just my experience with my two miscreants.

I used to switch brands of kibble every month when they were younger and I didn't mix old with new either. No transition period at all. I figured all the kibble was "5-6 star" kibble and of high quality so it wasn't necessary. In fact they never had a problem.

I thought I was doing them a favor by switching/rotating between 3-4 kibbles I liked. I figured protein from different sources would benefit them as well as varying nutritional content so as not to overload their systems with the same stuff over time. And actually, the long term benefit of doing this from a young age was their systems became used to a wide variety and quickly adjust to any nutritional changes.

I never tried Wellness though. My only advice is to study the labels of the old kibble and the new to determine what the major differences are. Maybe the Wellness is too rich in protein or something for your dog. Also, generally with the higher quality kibble, you often need to feed less each day. Are you over-feeding according to the recommendations on the package ?? I always feed MUCH less than product recommendation for my dogs activity level. I go by how the dogs act and look rather than the number of scoops they get.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:07 pm

I would keep feeding for another week or so to see if it evens out.
Did you cut down on how much she is eating? She should be eating less them IAMs, feeding the same amounts could cause a lot of poop or poop issues.

july_hymn
Matured Bully

Postby july_hymn » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:41 pm

yes i think maybe the amount could have been the problem. she didn't finish her bowl last night and hub said the poop was more solid today so maybe we'll just feed a little less. i'm going to keep going with the food a little longer to see if we get it straightened out. thanks for the responses guys.

july_hymn
Matured Bully

Postby july_hymn » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:42 pm

and trex, i was home when she pooped inside, and usually she will scratch at the door if she needs to go out so i think it may have just come up a little fast for her. Or, as hub would say, her "stomach dropped out her ass" lol

SnowKoi2010
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby SnowKoi2010 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:59 pm

I had this issue with Snow when she was younger and I had to switch from Purina to an off brand cheap dog food and then when I could afford the purina again used it and she did it again. I really think it has to do with switching between food qualities then brands. Purina, which is a gain based food is till a good quality grain food and I switched her to the taboo, Ol'Roy which has been known for using dog by products in it. It is the poorest quality food you can buy for your dog and the cheapest. But I had no choice. Then When I could afford the purina again, she had the same problems, but it was getting her digestive system use to the higher quality food again. They tell you to mix the dogs food, I have never done this. When loose stools occur, i just remove the food and put her on a water diet for the rest of the day and try again the next day. This is what the vet told me to do.

Now after this bag of dog food I am switching to Blue, I don't know if snow will have stomach issues due to not only changing quality, but from grain based to meat/veggie based. If so I will just remove the food and make sure she stays hydrated and when her stools turn normal again give her the food (Could be the same day or next day). I would continue to feed the new food, changing could cause more stress to the digestive system.

Return to “Health Issues”