Kibble change (Fromm?)

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Adrianne

Kibble change (Fromm?)

Postby Adrianne » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:09 pm

For years all I fed was raw but due to cost, storage and time I switched the dogs to kibble with raw supplement for about the last year. We're not quiet sure we want to go back to total raw as we enjoy the easy of kibble from time to time but we're having trouble with our kibble.

I fed blue buffalo (chicken variety) and really enjoyed the results. I had little to no complaints but the cost was getting painful so I put the malinois on Native (a high F/P food) but it was not suitable for the pit bulls so we decided to try TOTW because I hear so many feed it and it was about 5 bucks cheaper per bag for me.

Well, on BB Shamoo was able to eat about 3 cups a day and still be lean. Now on TOTW Shamoo is getting chunky on 2 cups a day and for a dog that pretty much lives to eat it's just cruel to cut that back any more.

My other complaint is Shamoo started getting tear stains. At first I wasn't sure if it was the food or the new GlycoFlex3 but now Arnold is getting these tear stains and he's never had them before. Upon further exam Shamoo is redder/browner on her entire stomach and paws than she was before. She's not a licker or chewer but a drooler. When crated she drools and said drool soaks her paws, always has, but it's not until recently that said drool appears to be staining her fur.

So, I'm on the market again. I may have to go back to BB and we also discussed just going straight raw for them but I still like to do work-to-eat toys at least 3 times a week for them so I need some kibble around.

I've heard great things about Acana and Orjen but they are out of my price range unfortunately.

Fromm appears to be in my range but I don't know much about it. Any input? Any other brands that are relatively inexpensive that you've liked?

I'm also considering moving the two of them to Senior food (Shamoo is 13, Arnold will be 7 in July) because they are so inactive and I hate to cut their food back any less than 2 cups a day.

Any input is appreciated, thanks!

haircrazie016
Bully Ambassador

Re: Kibble change (Fromm?)

Postby haircrazie016 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:21 pm

Ive never used fromm but have heard great things! I would definitely give it a try, I cant find it locally or I would love to try it!

We've been feeding TOTW, and Couda does get tear stains from it, but that happens with a few foods, so I dont worry too much.

Nutro put out a grain free food, so we gave it a try. I am unhappy, the bag doesnt give a calorie count, just a feeding chart. Our dogs were getting two cups of TOTW a day, and I was satisfied with that, The Nutro food looks like its puffed up with air, and I dont trust that two cups is actually two cups so Ive been giving them three cups a day, which defeated the purpose of buying it because it was $5 cheaper.

I think if the kiddos are getting chunk on two cups of TOTW then senior food really is a good option for them both!

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:51 pm

we used fromm puppy for brie and really liked it!

Mya&theSiebenDackels
Addicted to PBF

Postby Mya&theSiebenDackels » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:56 pm

We feed both our dachshunds Buddy and Charlotte Fromm Pork and Applesauce and they are doing wonderful on it. I really like the food and so do they! They both are at a nice weight, have nice shiny coats/skin, and no gas or runny poop. I have nothing bad to say about it and I am SO glad we have finally found a food that they both like and that they do well on. : )

JoeBingo
Addicted to PBF

Postby JoeBingo » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:25 pm

I have no input about Fromm. But I can recommend ToTW if your dogs like it. Sugar got to where she didn't like it much and would miss meals and wait until she was REALLY hungry, to eat. She's picky like that and she didn't like it.

Honestly, I've got one word and you don't want to hear it. But, at least one vet on here might mention it from time to time too ... "Purina". Unless your dogs have alergies or REQUIRE some super high protein because of activity, they will do fine on Purina ... firm stools ... nice coats ... clean teeth. Don't ask me how I know LOL.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:44 pm

JoeBingo wrote:I have no input about Fromm. But I can recommend ToTW if your dogs like it. Sugar got to where she didn't like it much and would miss meals and wait until she was REALLY hungry, to eat. She's picky like that and she didn't like it.

Honestly, I've got one word and you don't want to hear it. But, at least one vet on here might mention it from time to time too ... "Purina". Unless your dogs have alergies or REQUIRE some super high protein because of activity, they will do fine on Purina ... firm stools ... nice coats ... clean teeth. Don't ask me how I know LOL.

Unfortunately, I won't be recommending the TOTW. It's not a bad food per say but after posting a comment about the tear stains on FB and another forum I found about 10 other people who are seeing worse or new tear stains in dogs that never had the issue before.

I guess they altered their meat ratio recently in the type I feed but I'm just not over all thrilled with the feed.

I'm not opposed to "other" (lol) brands but I am looking for something in a moderate protein and grain free. I like the smaller and more solid poop my dogs get on grain free. I give the malinois grain feed but it works for them.

I am hesitant to trust Nutro again. I used to feed their high energy feed (orange bag) and my dogs did very well on it (when I had 6 dogs in the house) but then one new bag and every dog in my house who'd not changed feed as far as I knew got neon orange mucusy poop. Come to find out later Nutro changed their ingredients without a notice. I know most every brand does this occasionally but it was pretty upsetting for us at the time and I'd rather avoid those kind of poops and dehydration episodes again.

Thanks for the info on Fromm too guys, I think I'll get a bag of their senior variety and give it a try unless something better pops up in the next week or so.

I wonder if rescues will accept opened bags of feed? I'll have to sneak it out before the boyfriend sees, he'd hate to think I just gave away 40 bucks of feed when I didn't have to. lol

JoeBingo
Addicted to PBF

Postby JoeBingo » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:07 pm

I hear ya on the formula changes. I was an avid Canidae fan until they changed several years ago and gave Rowdy and Sugar bad poops. Maybe the change in ToTW is why Sugar stopped liking it Hmmmm.

They could have changed the forumula too, but I used to feed "Before Grain" by Merrick and Rowdy and Sugar did really well on that. If they haven't changed, I would recommend it. Also in my rotation was "Natures Variety" but it got pretty expensive. Otherwise I would still be rotating 3-4 grain free kibbles with each 30-35 pound bag. I'm a believer (just by seat of the pants) in providing variety with multiple protein and nutritional sources as long as the food is good quality and the dogs have no allergies or aversions. I can't personally in good conscience, feed the same thing for, oh say, 15 years.

gixxerific
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Kibble change (Fromm?)

Postby gixxerific » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:34 pm

I can't help with the food choices much. But yes rescues will love you for donating food. I donated an almost full bag after Maya passed.

Good luck

Amie

Postby Amie » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:03 am

The rescues will smile and thank you and then throw away an open bag. They can't be sure it's not contaminated unless it's unopened.

You can do frozen raw in work to eat toys, too, you know!

buckaroo
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby buckaroo » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:14 am

Amie wrote:The rescues will smile and thank you and then throw away an open bag. They can't be sure it's not contaminated unless it's unopened.

Not necessarily. We take opened bags all the time. I think that policy is more common with municipal shelters. Private rescues are more likely to take them.

Although, my municipal shelter won't throw away opened bags of food either. They tell the donator why they can't take the food so the person can give it to someone else. They'd never take a bag and throw it away while making the person donating think it's going to good use.

CuriousMoves
Adolescent Bully

Postby CuriousMoves » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:31 pm

I've always loved Fromm. It's a great food, seems pretty consistent in quality, and for the most part, is very palatable. Even my bichon will eat it. It is extremely expensive here tho, the 30lb bag of Chicken ala veg is like $73.99. I took it out of the rotation because it was just too pricey for a chicken based food that isn't grain-free. I've tried the Salmon ala veg and had the same result. Really a good food!

I think TOTW is an ok food, my friend's dog is doing fantastic on it..but Riley did horribly on it, I didn't notice a change with Phineas except he didn't care for the food. I think it's one of those foods where it's just gonna depend on your dog if he/she does well or not.

Have you ever tried Nature's Variety Prarie? I suggest the Prarie because I think Instinct is high in fat and the bullies are inactive. My dogs have always done well on NV. Not sure how expensive it is in the US tho.

trexgorawrrrrr
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby trexgorawrrrrr » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:43 pm

I hear you on the BB. We fed Bentley one bag a month until recently (it was his puppy food,) and after paying 60$ a bag we were looking for something else...

Our local mom and pops store carries Fromm, even greater thing is that every 6 bags you buy you get the next halfoff. Although it will take us a long time to get through that many, I like that they offer a discount like that.

My only concern with Fromm is that Bentley doesn't seem to be as excited to eat his food as before. He will leave it for 30 minutes to an hour, then go eat it. Sometimes he eats it right away, while other times he doesn't... it's strange. At first we thought it may have had something to due with him being sick (which we went to the vet for,) but he doesn't eat it as much as he did BB. I am going to cut back on the amount, because I'm wondering if I'm feeding too much... We feed 4cups of food a day (which seems like alot.) He is fine on that amount though because he is active, and at the right body shape, so we will try cutting it back... but although I really like this food we may have to switch to something. I was thinking of trying a different one of their flavors like mya feeds, but it's more expensive in a smaller bag.

Flibgit
Matured Bully

Postby Flibgit » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:21 am

Adrianne, we've been feeding Earthborn Holistic Adult Vantage. It's about $40 for a 28 pound bag from doggiefood.com. It's the only kibble that Andre's had normal poop on. We're on our third bag.

It's not high-protein and came highly recommended by a Newfie breeder I'm friends with. (Giant breeds aren't recommended to have high-protein foods)

Just a thought if the Fromm doesn't work out for Shamoo and Arnold.

ilovetyson
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby ilovetyson » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:06 pm

I have had my girls and cat on TOTW for prolly a yr or more now. Jade has bad allergies. She can't have Lamb, Chicken or beef. No Grain and a lower protein lvl. So I have been feeding her the Fish formula and she has been doing wonderful on it. Her coat is Shiney, she lost all her excess weight. And I have gone the past cpl months with no yeasty ears, and bleeding ears.. Finally! I Know with there food 2 of the formulas are a higher protein and 2 are lower. Lamb and fish are lower. The Bison and The other formula i Dont remember.. are higher in protein.

I am too afraid to change her food. I would love to find something cheaper then 50$ a bag, But.. If I switch I may have issues again *sigh*

The papillon was getting tear stains, But I didn't put it to the Totw. He was on Purina one before I got him.

The cat Looks AMAZING! and I hardly smell his poo or anything!

But, after reading this thread.. I do recall the dogs pooing more then normal. I wonder if they changed this formula too?! hmmm :-/

I have done BB with my cat before..and it was awesome. But the Price was a bit much for me.

I have heard good things about Fromm.. But, it is also Super expensive here! Same with Orijen

Have you tried evo?

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:13 pm

Flibgit wrote:Adrianne, we've been feeding Earthborn Holistic Adult Vantage.

Glad to hear it! A local supply store carries it and I plan to add it into the cat's rotation.

Return to “Health Issues”