ChAnges in feeding habits

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
gixxerific
Pit Bull Forum Addict

ChAnges in feeding habits

Postby gixxerific » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:58 pm

A few weeks ago Lucy stopped eating like she used too. She use to be super excited at feeding time. She would also chow down everything fast. Now she may just sniff it and maybe eat a little bit, she will than nib le here and there till most of of is gone. She is a little over 6 moths old if that makes a difference.

JoeBingo
Addicted to PBF

Re: ChAnges in feeding habits

Postby JoeBingo » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:17 pm

Well, they certainly won't starve themselves (except for an extremely rare seldom seen disorder I've only heard about). You could try free feeding, just leave the food for her when she wants it or pick it up after 15 minutes. Your choice. She will eat when she's hungry, especially if walked or excercised prior to feeding.

You could try putting a little bit of plain yogurt on the kibble to try and induce her to eat. A couple of other things that might induce her to eat is just a little minced garlic; it gives the food a strong odor, and dogs like eating things that smell strongly. Also, a spoonful of human food from leftovers in the fridge or a spoonful of canned dog food mixed with the kibble should get her going.

Maybe try a different kibble. My dog, Sugar (non-pit), is pretty picky and sometimes just gets tired of the same stuff.

All I got besides that, is let a vet look at her to rule out any medical issues.

gixxerific
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby gixxerific » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:31 am

Thanks JoB.

I really don't think it is a health issue, though I did at first think she might have been blocked up, that is not the case. I also did put in some moist food with it one day and she ate like she used to, she scarfed it down in no time.

I have been leaving it out and she will eventually eat most of it. I will try some new food but that may have to wait a week or two work is slow right now.

The big problem is she has a few hours to eat in the morning before being put in her kennel when I got to work. If she doesn't eat before than than well she doesn't eat. I would put it in her kennel but it might end up all over or she might poop in there.

It's just odd cause all the sudden in like a day she went from "scarf it till it's gone, than lick the bowl" to "I'm not hungry right now"

JoeBingo
Addicted to PBF

Postby JoeBingo » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:14 am

Well I think I can understand you reluctance to change things and certainly understand your "confusion" and concern.

Maybe Lucy is a picky eater like my Sugar is. Dang girls LOL.

I don't like to add stuff to Sugar's kibble either. I don't want her to get in the habit of expecting it, but boy howdy will she perk up when I do. I really only do it when she loses interest in a particular kibble and I still have to finish off a quantity before trying something else.

Last night after I posted, I thought of one other thing I added to Sugar's kibble sometime which you may have handy in the kitchen ... olive oil. I just drizzle a a little bit on there and the aroma (I guess) perks her appetite up. I don't use much because olive oil is very "rich".

Ya know, some folks add fish oil to help with coat issues, so that might be a good thing to try a little of too, to spice things up.

The only other thing I can think of for Miss Lucy is one of those puzzle toys you can hide kibble in and that might keep her entertained while in the kennel as well as not supply so much kibble that it's a meal or radically alter her bowel schedule.

gixxerific
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby gixxerific » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:54 pm

Thanks again JoeB for the ideas.

I did use a Kong stuffed with food when she was young after the Parvo to get her interested in eating I could try that again. The fish oil thing is good as well plus it may make her shine eve more. I did put a tad of garlic powder on her food today which she than scarfed down in no time to my amazement. This was after eating her morning food just a few hours before.

She is VERY food motivated so I am beginning to think she is just getting bored with her present kibble. I will be getting something new when I can afford it. Until than I will do what I can. As you said she is not starving herself just not eating like she should when she should.

gixxerific
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby gixxerific » Sun May 01, 2011 8:05 am

Just thought I would update. For a week or more she has been back to eating like it was her last meal again. I have no idea what happened but her appetite is sure back with no change in food or feeding schedule.

I guess it fixed itself whatever it was. :thumbsup:

Return to “Health Issues”