Parvo recovery-what can i expect?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
PBRVeganGirl
Matured Bully

Parvo recovery-what can i expect?

Postby PBRVeganGirl » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:01 pm

So i havent been on this forum in a LONG time, but i know theres a whole lot of knowledgeable people here, and i need a lot of help. heres a little back story.

I have a friend about 6 hours away who had a pick of the litter puppy from his dogs' daughter's litter. some guy down here where i live *said" he wanted her, but needed to find a new place. so the breeder brought her down to another breeders friends house very close, and gave the guy 30 days. after 2 weeks, i met the puppy, they told me the guy who wanted her hasnt brought food, come to visit or called about her. they were about to give her to me but 2 days later the guy called and still whined about wanting her, so they said theyd give him to the end of the 30 days. two more weeks go by and no call, no food from this guy, and i end up bringing food for her and visiting her all the time (my friend was feeding her in the mean time, dont worry) So i finally get the call on sunday, from her breeder saying "go pick up your girl!"

so i go right out there, i get there and shes skinny, sluggish, and she has diarrhea. my friend was a little confused, but knew she has gotten into some trouble with her other puppy and thought they just had tummy aches, and theyve been a kennel for 10 years and have NEVER had parvo or bordetella ever, and she has had her boosters (but shes only 12 weeks) as soon as i saw her i thought it was parvo but i know im a bit of a spazz. i bring her home, she throws up her rice and beef that i cooked her, then wont eat the next day, all the while having diarrhea. i call my friend up the next morning and said she needed to go to the vet. my friend told me to come out to her house and she would take her to her vet since she felt bad that she let me go home with a sick pup. I get a call about an hour later telling me its parvo,and of course i tell them to save her. I immediately go home and spend 3 hours bleaching everything in my home, today i got my dogs extra booster shots since they were all together the day before (my dogs are over 2 years old and always UTD but i couldnt be too sure of myself). I got some solution called parvisol, and saniclean tbx? they are both proven to kill parvo. My friends seem to think the virus came into their yard because they live out in hicks-ville and the neighbors farm cats go where they want and they dont take them to the vet----ever. the pups were playing in the sand box a few days earlier, and we all know what cats do in sand boxes.

SO now my pup is doing great, theyve stopped the vomiting, shes gained most of her weight back overnight. The doctor expects her to go home in another 2 days, it seems she got a very ild case of it, or the little time she had to build up immunity with her vaccines helped out. I was going to do another cleaning before she comes home. I need everyones advice on the aftercare of my pup. any recipes for food? i was going to do boiled chicken. I've never had a parvo pup, and i want to make sure that i do everything right. i know shes gonna be pretty weak for a while, but what else can i expect? I not really getting consistent answers when i search google. i know im going to have to keep her away from my dogs for a while, but how long exactly?

I really appreciate any help i can get, and no opinions on the situation please, i just want my girl to get better, and thats all im focused on at the moment.

gixxerific
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Parvo recovery-what can i expect?

Postby gixxerific » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:41 pm

I am by far a nutritionist/vet etc.

But from what I hear if she is gaining weight she should be fine. Basically if she is eating and not throwing up she should be fine. I just went through this myself about 4+ months ago. I brought Lucy home and a week or so later noticed the first sign (which I was looking for by the way), I took her to the vet and a few day's later she was good as new, or as good as new as she could be. I was just upstairs in shock of how big she is getting in fact. Catching it early is the key.

My vet gave her fluids and antibiotics for a couple day's than she came home. The biggest killer of parvo is the dehydration. They gave me some "Vet" food made for this kind of thing that I fed her for a few weeks plus some medicine to help her digestive system re-coop that I had to give her for 30 day's. Right now she is doing great happy and healthy. So should yours, not sure if your vet gave her anything but if not I would say to keep it easy on her stomach for a while. You can find food that is made with enzymes (I believe it is enzymes) that will help her digestive track heal.

Good luck :pray again I am not a trained vet just my personal experience.

I am just glad you cared enough to help her a lot of people wouldn't give two chocolate, I know Lucy is happy I cared enough. :inlove:

gixxerific
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby gixxerific » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:44 pm

Don't forget lovin' lot's of lovin' :inlove: :kiss: :hug:

PBRVeganGirl
Matured Bully

Postby PBRVeganGirl » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:51 pm

Thank you for your help!

I actually JUST got off the phone with my friend who talked to the vet and they said she hasnt thrown up all day, and she doesnt have diarrhea anymore. they tested her feces and they said theres the slightest bit of the virus left in her, and theyre going to test tomorrow to see if its gone. they said shes eating a bit and acting a lot better. She should come home tomorrow night or thursday morning. but we told the vet that theres no rush and we just want her to get better.

and dont worry, ill be lovin on her lots and lots!

gixxerific
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby gixxerific » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:07 pm

Your story is making me tear up. I hope the best for you and yours. :hug:

Like I said Lucy was in for 3 day's, though I caught it probably as early as you can. And she is fine so have some hope.

I want some pics when she comes home.

Here is my Parvo pup.

She doesn't look sick anymore to me. There is hope, good luck. :pray

PBRVeganGirl
Matured Bully

Postby PBRVeganGirl » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:34 pm

Well this was her on sunday when the symptoms started. She wasnt acting very much like a parvo puppy, but wasnt being herself. She's my very first papered dog ever, and i got her because we currently weight pull and i wanted to step up my experience level and she comes from good lines. but first and foremost she is my baby girl, papers or not, pure bred or not, or whether she can pull 5,000lbs or a sheet of paper. Her name is Fantazma The Subcultural Girl, and i hope i have many many pictures just like yours in the future!

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:05 pm

She looks very healthy for just going through Parvo!

I'm glad she's ok. Sometimes even with lots of treatment (and lots of $$) they don't make it. Parvo sucks. Is the place where she's pictured where she is being kept, with the small rocks? It might help her front legs straighten out a little bit (I only say this b/c I know you have athletic plans for her and the wear and tear on those ankles will be increased)

My coworker says the biggest area for Parvo to be spread is in the yard since the virus apparently can stay alive in soil for some crazy long time. I would feed her 4 small meals throughout the day (and maybe start with something bland, like i/D, or a lowfat mix of skinless/boneless chicken and cooked rice) rather than large meals once or twice per day until things are looking good, and then very slowly blend in her normal food over the course of a week while decreasing the frequency of the meals. She shouldn't be dehydrated because she was probably on IV fluids or possibly getting sub-cu LRS but just in case, keep an eye on that. You can increase oral fluid intake by making a dilute blend of low-salt chicken broth with water to be more appealing but sometimes oral fluids just aren't enough if she's still sort of ailing. But at least in these pictures she looks to be in good condition for a Parvo kid.

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:09 pm

Oh, oops. Just saw that the photos are pre-symptomatic!

PBRVeganGirl
Matured Bully

Postby PBRVeganGirl » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:25 pm

sweet! thank you, she was on raw for a little bit (cause thats what my friend who was watching her feeds all his dogs), so i wanted to stick with natural stuff. I think ill do the chicken and rice, and then give her the vitamin supplements that i give to my adult dogs. do you think she'll need pedialyte? i was going to pick up a bottle for good measure, i had to throw out the bottle i was using for her because i was sticking the syringe right into the bottle then into her mouth and back again.

i took the photos in their driveway, she was in the house and the fenced front yard that had the sandbox, rosebeds, and lots of grass. she had to have gotten it from outside in the yard. he front legs should straighten out, i set her wide for the photo tho, i want the curve in back on the hocks, it makes for a good pulling rear end. shes defiantly not for conformation. :)

PBRVeganGirl
Matured Bully

Postby PBRVeganGirl » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:27 pm

oh and my neighbor is a pediatric nurse, and she always gets me great medical supplies, so i know she'll pick up some fluids for me from the hospital just incase!

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:54 pm

Cool-- yes, keep the LRS on hand. It's just good in general, IME, because dehydration is such a killer and fluids can help an animal out so much even if it's to provide some support while en route to a vet.

If your other two are asymptomatic and vaccinated, good!! Even if they do develop the disease anyway, it would likely be mild. Small, frequent, bland meals are usually the best for dogs that have had digestive upsets; just keep stuff small and simple until her body's back on track.

I just meant in these pictures, which may or may not reflect how she naturally stands/sits, carries herself, and how her legs naturally align themselves, her front paws point out to the sides of her body, and sometimes (once's she's better!!) a little of that can be helped as a puppy grows; not so much for appearance's sake, but for uneven wear and tear type issues. Poor little goober has had so many different homes already. It's crazy to me how often these dogs get bounced around from home to home before they're even bratty 7 month old teenagers. Glad she's got not only vet care but stability now.

PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Postby PITtsburgher » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:01 am

They taught us in school that Parvosol does not actually kill Parvo (I know that's it's name...). If you can get your hands on some Trifectant that's the best, otherwise use the bleach and make sure you have a good contact time (10+ minutes) and that you clean up all organic material (poop, hair, etc) before putting the bleach down since it can't penetrate organic material.

Best wishes to the pup in her recovery; she's very cute.

PBRVeganGirl
Matured Bully

Postby PBRVeganGirl » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:01 am

this stuff saniclean TBX by buckeye cleaning products says on the label it kills pavo if its left wet on the surface for 10 minutes, but we literally bleached everything too. i just wasnt to be super super sure, and the saniclean was actually half the price of the parvisol, but we had to get it at a janitorial supply company. she really didnt do much exploring at my house, and my vet assured me it wasnt airborn, at least the intestinal from that she had, and luckily, even at 12 weeks old and being at 4 different owners now, shes fully house trained.

it makes me sad shes been so bounced around but she will be safe and secure in my home for the rest of her life. and im an obedience nazi, most of the dogs i pull with are outside dogs, but my dogs live in my home and sleep in our beds, so she'll get a good schedule like the rest of my dogs. but shes a real mellow, focused, friendly pup, so i dont see too many problems with her. lol hopefully

Shanda
Addicted to PBF

Postby Shanda » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:56 pm

Is the breeder covering the cost of her treatment? Parvo can rack up a nice bill.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:59 pm

Glad she's feeling better!

Also, just in case someone misunderstands, canine parvovirus cannot be transmitted from cats to dogs so this is not likely the source of your pups parvo. Feline parvovirus is a different virus altogether.

Since your pup has had a bit of a rough start, proper nutrition is more important than ever to ensure her immune system gets up to snuff and that she has the strength to finish recovering and start growing!

Return to “Health Issues”