Parvo recovery-what can i expect?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
gixxerific
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Parvo recovery-what can i expect?

Postby gixxerific » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:42 pm

redgrrl wrote:Is the breeder covering the cost of her treatment? Parvo can rack up a nice bill.

Yeah no kidding I could have got 2 Champion pure bred Blue brindle, red nose, happy tail free, cancer proof, English speaking with red brindle accents dogs for what I paid in vet bills In Lucy's first month's. And she wasn't from a breeder.

But why would I do that Lucy is the bomb. :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :nana:

PBRVeganGirl
Matured Bully

Postby PBRVeganGirl » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:06 pm

gixxerific wrote:
redgrrl wrote:Is the breeder covering the cost of her treatment? Parvo can rack up a nice bill.

Yeah no kidding I could have got 2 Champion pure bred Blue brindle, red nose, happy tail free, cancer proof, English speaking with red brindle accents dogs for what I paid in vet bills In Lucy's first month's. And she wasn't from a breeder.

But why would I do that Lucy is the bomb. :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :nana:

i dont want the breeder to cover any of it, first off she was free, second because he wants to come and breed her later to his choice dog, take his pick pup then bounce and leave me with the pups. we're going to be moving across the country pretty soon b/c my husband is in the navy, and honestly, i dont want to "owe" this breeder anything, cause im calling the shots with her future, especially with how much grief it was to get her in the first place. if he gave her to me when i said id take her then this wouldnt have happened, but he had to be a "man" and stick to his word to this other guy, even tho the other guy didnt want to take any responsibility for her.

its was only $273 for a 4 day stay, i got a lot of donations from friends that covered at least half. it was so cheap cause it was at a rural vet, if i got it done where i live it would have been about $1200

we picked her up today, shes doing great, shes bouncy, happy, eating and drinking. i gave her a bath cause she smelled like parvo (ick!), and now shes sleeping. she looks fantastic, she just needs to gain her weight back. lots of R&R for her. heres a pic after her first bath.

Odnarb

Postby Odnarb » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:19 pm

Don't you worry about owning bull breeds as a military family? Do you plan on living off base? The Army, Marines, and Air Force have now all banned them. It's probably just a matter of time before the Navy does, too.

Shanda
Addicted to PBF

Postby Shanda » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:41 pm

This breeder sounds like a real winner. :( Already wanting to breed an untitled, unproven dog who quite likely contracted a preventable disease due to his oversight.

Regardless, im glad she is on the mend and out of those hands. that is cheap for parvo tx! Jeebus! I can't help but wonder though, since you laid the financials out, how you plan to afford future emergencies? Vet care gets pricey fast, and you have multiple animals. Relying on the kindness of others is not a sure bet, nor frankly is it very responsible. Just something to think about. I had a surprise $4K bill a couple years ago, so I speak from experience.

PBRVeganGirl
Matured Bully

Postby PBRVeganGirl » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:45 pm

Odnarb wrote:Don't you worry about owning bull breeds as a military family? Do you plan on living off base? The Army, Marines, and Air Force have now all banned them. It's probably just a matter of time before the Navy does, too.

we never plan to live on base, theres quite a few naval bases theyre already banned, plus my husband needs to be an officer for us to live on base.

PBRVeganGirl
Matured Bully

Postby PBRVeganGirl » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:47 pm

redgrrl wrote:This breeder sounds like a real winner. :( Already wanting to breed an untitled, unproven dog who quite likely contracted a preventable disease due to his oversight.

Regardless, im glad she is on the mend and out of those hands. that is cheap for parvo tx! Jeebus! I can't help but wonder though, since you laid the financials out, how you plan to afford future emergencies? Vet care gets pricey fast, and you have multiple animals. Relying on the kindness of others is not a sure bet, nor frankly is it very responsible. Just something to think about. I had a surprise $4K bill a couple years ago, so I speak from experience.

i kinda asked for no opinions on the situation, but if you must know i didnt get paid my full paycheck last week, if i did, this wouldnt have been a problem at all. and it wont happen again, because i work for my fathers company, and they got my checks in order, this was only my second check.

afrikaPB
Matured Bully

Postby afrikaPB » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:11 pm

I always set up a litter pan at the back door and front door that has a half inch of bleach solution in it, so that people walking in and out can walk their shoes through it. Seems over the top, but I fear spreading parvo out into the world just as much as I don't want to bring it into the house from the yard.

gixxerific
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby gixxerific » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:49 pm

PBRVeganGirl wrote:
gixxerific wrote:

i dont want the breeder to cover any of it, first off she was free, second because he wants to come and breed her later to his choice dog, take his pick pup then bounce and leave me with the pups. we're going to be moving across the country pretty soon b/c my husband is in the navy, and honestly, i dont want to "owe" this breeder anything, cause im calling the shots with her future, especially with how much grief it was to get her in the first place. if he gave her to me when i said id take her then this wouldnt have happened, but he had to be a "man" and stick to his word to this other guy, even tho the other guy didnt want to take any responsibility for her.

its was only $273 for a 4 day stay, i got a lot of donations from friends that covered at least half. it was so cheap cause it was at a rural vet, if i got it done where i live it would have been about $1200

we picked her up today, shes doing great, shes bouncy, happy, eating and drinking. i gave her a bath cause she smelled like parvo (ick!), and now shes sleeping. she looks fantastic, she just needs to gain her weight back. lots of R&R for her. heres a pic after her first bath.

Just so you know I didn't mean that the breeder should pay. I was just saying it can cost a lot. ;)

Glad she is doing better, you must have caught it early. If this goes unnoticed too long they normally don't come back. But it looks like you are in good shape if she is home than she is good to go. :thumbsup: :hug: :cheers:

Return to “Health Issues”