Annoying vets, leaky puppy butt, and diet/raw feeding

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Odnarb

Re: Annoying vets, leaky puppy butt, and diet/raw feeding

Postby Odnarb » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:27 pm

We had better luck with the dry for whatever reason. But, the canned is good, too.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Adrianne

Annoying vets, leaky puppy butt, and diet/raw feeding

Postby Adrianne » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:47 pm

I'm glad you talked to the breeder, I really hope things turn around quickly for the poor baby. That can't be comfortable!

doglove
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby doglove » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:51 am

Blarg. I read the ingredients for these foods and just keep seeing all the red flags. I don't see how feeding corn and other known allergens could possibly help an already upset stomach when it's unknown if he's sensitive to those things. I do see the point in low fiber diets to give the GI tract a break. I'm going to be looking at home made options before I buy a bag of the suggested foods. Thanks for the suggestion guys!

Shanda
Addicted to PBF

Postby Shanda » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:58 am

Those foods wouldn't be meant as long term feeding if you so chose. They are made to target a problem. And as far as allergies/sensitivities, the likelihood of them in such a young pup are negligible at best. Typically those are issues that take time to develop.

If I had a puppy that was having diarrhea to the point of a prolapse, I'd be listening to my pet's doctor. When I got Bowie he had a very, very sensitive stomach. I fed him i/d for months on the recommendation of a general practitioner because it helped him. It had nothing to do with a label or a brand or an ingredient or anything except helping my dog feel good so he could be a happy puppy. He's a hoover-dog and when he manages to ingest enough grass or bugs that he gets loose stool again, he goes right back on the i/d. I'm confident in saying he's not suffering from the occasional corn-based feed.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:12 pm

doglove wrote:Blarg. I read the ingredients for these foods and just keep seeing all the red flags. I don't see how feeding corn and other known allergens could possibly help an already upset stomach when it's unknown if he's sensitive to those things. I do see the point in low fiber diets to give the GI tract a break. I'm going to be looking at home made options before I buy a bag of the suggested foods. Thanks for the suggestion guys!

Corn, a known allergen??? I'm yet to see a KNOWN corn allergy... but I own a beef allergic dog and have several beef and chicken allergic clients.

Lets forget the hype and stick to the facts here... basic epidemiology shows that protein is the source of allergic reactions, not carbohydrate, and numerous studies have backed this up. The order of proteins statistically most likely to cause allergic reactions is beef, chicken, dairy, THEN corn and wheat (high protein grains).

The likelyhood of a 16 week old puppy having a food allergy is slim to none. Infectious organisms, stress, and multiple diet changes are far more likely to be the culprit here.

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:27 pm

redgrrl wrote:....If I had a puppy that was having diarrhea to the point of a prolapse, I'd be listening to my pet's doctor. ...

What food was the breeder feeding Radar and the rest of the litter? Was Radar doing well on this food? Did you change his food right after his flight/shipment to you?

If he's been straining and having bad diarrhea like that to the point of rectal prolapse, I would for sure be doing a bland diet, either the recommended w/D, or ask about low-res or i/D. Short-term, just to hopefully give the pup some relief, so you can reduce the swelling in the displaced tissue, so the vet can replace it and suture it back into place. No, they aren't ideal foods for long-term use but they were designed to simply give relief to symptoms. The biggest area for allergies are actually proteins, which is why for seriously allergic dogs, they often can do well on a food with hydrolyzed proteins but reasonably-intact grains.

I hope Radar will be okay. :( If you don't like this vet or the type of care he/she is advising, is there another vet in your area? Would you prefer a holistic vet, I don't know if there are any near you? Basically, without solving the diarrhea and straining, the prolapse can get worse. We had a pup that prolapsed due to chronic diarrhea from previously-untreated giardia, was put on i/D canned mixed with water-softened i/D dry, anti-inflammatory cream, and treated for giardia. Once the diarrhea stopped he went to the vet who replaced the tissue, put in sutures, then went to a new adoptive home. They changed his food off the i/d too suddenly and he had normal diarrhea from that, but re-prolapsed, but more tissue this time. Then he needed surgery which the owners couldn't afford.

doglove
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby doglove » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:57 pm

heartbullies wrote:
redgrrl wrote:....If I had a puppy that was having diarrhea to the point of a prolapse, I'd be listening to my pet's doctor. ...

What food was the breeder feeding Radar and the rest of the litter? Was Radar doing well on this food? Did you change his food right after his flight/shipment to you?

If he's been straining and having bad diarrhea like that to the point of rectal prolapse, I would for sure be doing a bland diet, either the recommended w/D, or ask about low-res or i/D. Short-term, just to hopefully give the pup some relief, so you can reduce the swelling in the displaced tissue, so the vet can replace it and suture it back into place. No, they aren't ideal foods for long-term use but they were designed to simply give relief to symptoms. The biggest area for allergies are actually proteins, which is why for seriously allergic dogs, they often can do well on a food with hydrolyzed proteins but reasonably-intact grains.

I hope Radar will be okay. :( If you don't like this vet or the type of care he/she is advising, is there another vet in your area? Would you prefer a holistic vet, I don't know if there are any near you? Basically, without solving the diarrhea and straining, the prolapse can get worse. We had a pup that prolapsed due to chronic diarrhea from previously-untreated giardia, was put on i/D canned mixed with water-softened i/D dry, anti-inflammatory cream, and treated for giardia. Once the diarrhea stopped he went to the vet who replaced the tissue, put in sutures, then went to a new adoptive home. They changed his food off the i/d too suddenly and he had normal diarrhea from that, but re-prolapsed, but more tissue this time. Then he needed surgery which the owners couldn't afford.

He was feeding Eukanuba dry, wetting it down for the babies to gum up. I actually went and picked him up, not sure if that's any different than shipping. I know he was stressed, slept a lot, cranky when he wasn't sleeping. I did change is food immediately, and that's when it started.

I'm going to go with the suggested food, haven't decided which one yet but will be ordering sometime this afternoon. I've seen most of you suggesting these foods talking about healthy diets, and it kind of soothes my nerves to know that you would suggest it even if you don't completely agree with it.

I don't really know how I feel about this vet right now. This was the first visit. It's very difficult for me to find someone I like. I like a doctor that will explain everything that's going on. He did do that, and it made me feel better. Maybe things will work out. I would LOVE to go holistic, with a secondary, more traditional vet for back up support or 2nd opinions, but I haven't put any effort into finding one. I've been focused on finding a regular vet first.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:13 pm

My parents GSD breeder feeds Eukanuba and that is what her pup was on when he came home (obviously lol ) I can tell you that she tried and tried and tried to find a food that would keep his stools firm. After years she has finally had some success with Holistic select (I think that is what she has him on). She went back to the Eukanuba at some point in her trials of food search. I think in her research she found that Eukanuba has Beet pulp which firms stools.

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:00 pm

Is Radar feeling any better today?

Return to “Health Issues”