Costs of raw feeding

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Re: Costs of raw feeding

Postby WackyJacki » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:18 pm

I feed prey model and it's much cheaper than kibble. The key is to buy in bulk and stock up on sales. :)

Call butchers, price shop. Ethnic markets are another awesome resource.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:52 pm

Ellis wrote:Hey FBODGRL! Just wanted to say thanks again for the raw feeding tips. I really did go out and buy that book you suggested today. ;) It looks like an interesting read, to say the least. I read one of the links you gave me as well (the first one about weening your dog onto a prey model diet,) and it was really helpful! So do you suggest prey model over a diet with fruits & veggies?

Also mommy2kane and kaytenmags thanks so much for the advice. I'm definitely most interested in investing in a stand-up freezer (I just glanced at craigslist and it seems they go for only around $50 in perfect working condition,) and buying on-sale bulk as much as I can. For a few days hard work it seems like a pretty great pay-off to not have to go out and buy food for the next couple of months! I'm still freaking out over the cost. I guess I'm just used to the expensive fully-cooked meat products you get at over-priced grocery stores, and just assumed feeding the best diet would cost the most.

I have a stand up freezer and it works out really well. It is easy to see what I have and get to everything without having to move stuff around.

doglove
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby doglove » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:02 am

Raw is definitely cheaper than kibble if you're feeding high quality brands. This area isn't very 'raw friendly' but I can still watch out for sales and get quarters for $0.30 a lbs and the livers are always dirt cheap. There's a lot of Asians/Asian markets around that also have bizarre things that dogs need that you'd never be able to find anywhere else. I'd never seen pork heart, but there it was in a freezer at the local Asian market!

doglove
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby doglove » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:04 am

FBODGRL -

It looks like you've got a system, mind sharing? That's a very impressive freezer!

Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Nichole » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:30 am

Just curious - How much do your dogs eat on raw? I've read that most get about 2.5-3% to maintain body weight. Sadie is 2.5 years and she gets about 4.5%...Violet is 1.5 years and she gets 5%. And that isn't including the raw bones and other random goodies they get throughout the day. Will they ever get down to that mystical 2.5-3% I hear about?

If anyone needs a quick n easy calculator to figure it out, you can find it here:
http://www.raw4dogs.com/calculate.htm

El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby El_EmDubya » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:35 am

Not until they stop being athletes lol

Monte is a champion couch potato/senior dog and we feed him 1.5%.

We had to buy a new food bowl because it was difficult for us humans to feed him so little.

The woman at the pet store said "Oh, do you have a Chihuahua?" when she rung up the sale. I had to explain "No, he's a 65 lb Pit Bull. But since I feed raw, he doesn't need that much."

She looked at me like I was an animal abuser. Too bad she couldn't see how plump he is on that Chihuahua bowl diet. roflmao

mypuppyJack
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby mypuppyJack » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:47 am

Im new to raw and I do the more expensive method of buying cases of preformed patties that are mixed meat bone organs kelp etc. Its $3 a lb and for both dogs its 2 lbs a day total. But im saving on allergy medicine and they both look amazing and act like puppies so its worth it so far. Maybe someday ill start buying and mixing my own but for now I am happy with the patties

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Nichole » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:15 pm

El_EmDubya wrote:Not until they stop being athletes lol

Monte is a champion couch potato/senior dog and we feed him 1.5%.

We had to buy a new food bowl because it was difficult for us humans to feed him so little.

The woman at the pet store said "Oh, do you have a Chihuahua?" when she rung up the sale. I had to explain "No, he's a 65 lb Pit Bull. But since I feed raw, he doesn't need that much."

She looked at me like I was an animal abuser. Too bad she couldn't see how plump he is on that Chihuahua bowl diet. roflmao

Good point! lol
Though Violet isn't an athlete. She's an expert snuggle bug. She was the runt and has stayed the runt but you wouldnt know it by the amount of food that girl shovels down!

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:19 pm

nice freezer setup!!
We use plastic bins too, to put each of their meals in, but it isnt quite as organized as that lol. We lack that kind of freezer space!

Amie

Postby Amie » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:12 am

Oscar is almost 8, still VERY high energy, and he's rarely gotten more than 2%. (He's right at 50lb, and he gets about a pound a day). 3% sounds huge to me.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:37 pm

FBODGRL wrote:

doglove wrote:FBODGRL -

It looks like you've got a system, mind sharing? That's a very impressive freezer!

I try and portion whatever meat I have right when I buy it...all though when I bought bulk it was frozen, so I did manage to get the boneless turkey portioned, but it took like 5 or 6 days to portion the 40lbs because I had to keep waiting for it to dethaw lol On that top shelf you can see a back that is 10 lbs of pork neck that came in bulk. I am just now thawing it in the fridge to package up. I feed roughly a lb a day give or take. I was feeding 2 meals a day, but now I do one. So I portion everything into ziploc bags at 1/2lb or so. I also label all the ziplocs with what is in it and how...for example Turkey wing 1/2 lb 4/24. Not that the date is really important and I started now doing just the meat and weight. Not sure why I put the weight since I weigh it and I know each bag is roughly 1/2 lb.

After I portion and ziploc it goes in the plastic containers. Each container has different meat and style fot the most part. So the top shelf has some pork necks, pork ribs and a container of boneless pork. Next shelf I have the big container of venison, chicken and beef. Turkey is a staple in my house so on that shelf I have turkey wings, a few necks and some turkey tails. The drawer is all boneless turkey. I was so happy to find the supplier for that since I feed it so often and it was cheap.

On the door I have the top shelf with beef, then the next with venison for easy access so I don't have dig through the containers. Then the rest is all various organs. 4 of those bags are from the supplier that are a combination of liver, kidney and spleen a couple pork and a couple beef. I also have some vension organs thrown in there from this hunting season that I haven't done anything with yet.

I usually have 2 days worth of food in a nother plastic container in the fridge. SO every morning after he eats I hit the freezer and grab out 1lb worth of what I feed him and put it into the fridge container for thawing.

I move stuff around as needed, but it all is always in the ziploc and then each has its own plastic container. I am a little bit of a crazy organized neat freak roflmao

Downside is I just bought all that organ and I had some already. I have determined that Khan can not handle beef kidney at all. Everytime I start adding organs back in I have problems and I finally figured out I think it is all stemming from that spleen. Strange because everyone says liver causes cannon butt, but I haven't had that problem. I am back to trying to add organs again this week, but I am going to try the pork organs, which I have never tried.

Nichole wrote:Just curious - How much do your dogs eat on raw? I've read that most get about 2.5-3% to maintain body weight. Sadie is 2.5 years and she gets about 4.5%...Violet is 1.5 years and she gets 5%. And that isn't including the raw bones and other random goodies they get throughout the day. Will they ever get down to that mystical 2.5-3% I hear about?

If anyone needs a quick n easy calculator to figure it out, you can find it here:

Khan was 53lbs at last weigh in. I think he was 55-58 when we started raw (he was a little heavy, but not fat) I feed usually 1 lb give or take a little. I think he is still loosing a little weight, which I am fine with as I would rather have him a little leaner than he was. Once summer really hits and he is more active I may need to up it a little, but I think it will be fine at 1lb.

starrlamia wrote:nice freezer setup!!
We use plastic bins too, to put each of their meals in, but it isnt quite as organized as that lol. We lack that kind of freezer space!

Thanks!

Yeah I learned quite quickly I needed a separate freezer after all his food took over my regular freezer a couple weeks into raw when turkey was on sale! I pretty happy I went with the upright.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:33 pm

well we got a stand up freezer.... but we ended up filling most of it with people food. We use our small freezer on the fridge now for dog food unless we get a ton... The small freezer fits organ meat and chews as well as 2 bins (one for each dog) and each bin fits about a months worth of food lol.

ellie@ny
Matured Bully

Postby ellie@ny » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:58 pm

I get 60# chicken backs every 2 wks,so for a month I pay 50$ for 4 dogs feeding.And the meat comes packeged,so I don't have to deal with it home,just shove it in the freezer.
I also use veggie/organ meat/whole eggs etc mix supplement pureed,filled into icecube trays and they get one each day.That's probably another 10$ each month.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:30 pm

Nichole wrote:Just curious - How much do your dogs eat on raw? I've read that most get about 2.5-3% to maintain body weight. Sadie is 2.5 years and she gets about 4.5%...Violet is 1.5 years and she gets 5%. And that isn't including the raw bones and other random goodies they get throughout the day. Will they ever get down to that mystical 2.5-3% I hear about?

My big dogs are all around 50 pounds and eat about 1 pound a day. The little guy eats more than he should but he's also really, really busy.

I don't weigh anymore really. They are near by when I'm prepping food so I take a look and then think about any training and what not we've done that day and adjust accordingly.

Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Nichole » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:43 pm

FransterDoo wrote:

My big dogs are all around 50 pounds and eat about 1 pound a day. The little guy eats more than he should but he's also really, really busy.

I don't weigh anymore really. They are near by when I'm prepping food so I take a look and then think about any training and what not we've done that day and adjust accordingly.

Amazing. Mine are half the size and get a little over a pound a day. Pigs!

Return to “Health Issues”