Costs of raw feeding

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
white0nr1ce
Newborn Bully

Re: Costs of raw feeding

Postby white0nr1ce » Fri May 06, 2011 8:53 am

mommy2kane wrote:Wow, the backs and necks are pricey in your area! I'm sure there's got to be cheaper finds. We pay $8 for a 40# case of backs (and they're pretty meaty, which is nice). We don't feed necks -- I've heard they're just way too much bone and generally small for most dogs. The chicken quarters have gone up to $23 for 40#, which is still not bad. I think that puts us at approximately $100 to feed all 5 DOGS for an entire month (plus whatever beef heart we get and liver/kidney).

I've tried damn near every butcher and meat market in the area, and so far that one was the cheapest. I was really surprised when talking to my farmer's market and other smaller, locally owned butcher shops that it seems to be down to a science now and a lot of the stuff that you all say you can get for next to nothing from the butchers is already SOLD because of how little waste they are trying to produce... I've got a few weeks before I start and this weekend I'm going to check out the International Food Store and Asia Grocery near my house... I know they will have the fish I want to feed dirt cheap (and damn near all of it comes from the Chesapeake Bay, so I'm not as concerned about the salmanoid yucky, what a relief) as well as quail eggs, ox, more parts of a pig than you can imagine, etc. After that and reptile feeders I'm thinking I'm spent on research for this weekend at least. :P If any of you are in the VA/NC area, or closer than NY or IL and know of sources that will ship cheap, feel free to let me know! I was actually anticipating a lot of things being more expensive, seeing most of you try to stay under $1.50/#. The varieties I plan on introducing within the first month or two being chicken to start, then turkey, other poultry I can find decent and fish I have found less than $1/# and I'm going to start getting the pork that goes on sale so it can be well frozen by the time I'm comfortable enough (and the doogies are too!) to introduce it. :thumbsup:

mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Postby mommy2kane » Fri May 06, 2011 9:13 am

I'll keep my eyes/ears open for cheaper sources. We go to the DC meat market for our meats. I prefer this raw plan over the pre-packaged raw food, so that's why I don't really look around for places that ship. I guess we're now at $0.20/lb for backs and $0.57/lb for quarters. The organs and beef heart, we get from our Giant (grocery store). I think the beef heart just went up to $1.99/lb, which we were getting at $1.29/lb before. The DC meat market has it cheaper, but they trim all the fat off. I prefer the beef heart from the store with the fat still intact!

Good luck!

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Fri May 06, 2011 9:30 am

I am so jealous of you people in big cities. We have almost no suppliers here. Especially not of anything cool. :)

white0nr1ce
Newborn Bully

Postby white0nr1ce » Fri May 06, 2011 9:39 am

mommy2kane wrote:I'll keep my eyes/ears open for cheaper sources. We go to the DC meat market for our meats. I prefer this raw plan over the pre-packaged raw food, so that's why I don't really look around for places that ship. I guess we're now at $0.20/lb for backs and $0.57/lb for quarters. The organs and beef heart, we get from our Giant (grocery store). I think the beef heart just went up to $1.99/lb, which we were getting at $1.29/lb before. The DC meat market has it cheaper, but they trim all the fat off. I prefer the beef heart from the store with the fat still intact!

Good luck!

Definitely PM me if you find anywhere... I'm in VB and Chesapeake & Norfolk are no big deal of a drive but I completely agree with you on the prepackaged stuff... NV keeps emailing me coupons so I'm thinking about MAYBE doing that for the stuff I'd never be able to afford, somehow I justify it with coupons. :tongue: As far as shipping, I was trying to find frozen reptile feeders more locally since shipping on frozen is probably beyond my means, especially out of state. We have a few smaller places here that have big reptile sections, so I'm going to look into those.

Thanks a lot, it's nice to know I'm talking to someone relatively close. Some of the prices I'm hearing I can't find anywhere... kinda has my wheels turning that you're in DC and finding stuff cheaper than me... whenever I go to DC it seems like everything is outrageous. I'm more familiar with ethnic markets and regular grocery stores so maybe the better sources will come with further digging. High hopes! :aha:

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Fri May 06, 2011 9:54 am

white0nr1ce wrote:
mommy2kane wrote:Wow, the backs and necks are pricey in your area! I'm sure there's got to be cheaper finds. We pay $8 for a 40# case of backs (and they're pretty meaty, which is nice). We don't feed necks -- I've heard they're just way too much bone and generally small for most dogs. The chicken quarters have gone up to $23 for 40#, which is still not bad. I think that puts us at approximately $100 to feed all 5 DOGS for an entire month (plus whatever beef heart we get and liver/kidney).

I've tried damn near every butcher and meat market in the area, and so far that one was the cheapest. I was really surprised when talking to my farmer's market and other smaller, locally owned butcher shops that it seems to be down to a science now and a lot of the stuff that you all say you can get for next to nothing from the butchers is already SOLD because of how little waste they are trying to produce... I've got a few weeks before I start and this weekend I'm going to check out the International Food Store and Asia Grocery near my house... I know they will have the fish I want to feed dirt cheap (and damn near all of it comes from the Chesapeake Bay, so I'm not as concerned about the salmanoid yucky, what a relief) as well as quail eggs, ox, more parts of a pig than you can imagine, etc. After that and reptile feeders I'm thinking I'm spent on research for this weekend at least. :P If any of you are in the VA/NC area, or closer than NY or IL and know of sources that will ship cheap, feel free to let me know! I was actually anticipating a lot of things being more expensive, seeing most of you try to stay under $1.50/#. The varieties I plan on introducing within the first month or two being chicken to start, then turkey, other poultry I can find decent and fish I have found less than $1/# and I'm going to start getting the pork that goes on sale so it can be well frozen by the time I'm comfortable enough (and the doogies are too!) to introduce it. :thumbsup:

I would actually start with the chicken or turkey and then add a red meat as the 2nd thing you try if you can.

Also as far as necks. Beef neck may be a little to hard. I have fed turkey necks and actually fed them a lot in the beginning. As Khan became more stabilized/adjusted it is quite a bit of bone. I do feed them, but not often.

white0nr1ce
Newborn Bully

Postby white0nr1ce » Fri May 06, 2011 10:23 am

FBODGRL wrote:I would actually start with the chicken or turkey and then add a red meat as the 2nd thing you try if you can.

Also as far as necks. Beef neck may be a little to hard. I have fed turkey necks and actually fed them a lot in the beginning. As Khan became more stabilized/adjusted it is quite a bit of bone. I do feed them, but not often.

I was going to try to work in fish soon there after because of the oily goodness, and they have had fish recipe kibbles before with no ill effects. I have heard that they are good starters, and that they are bony so I did plan on trying to balance those days out with meatier pieces.

I am trying to bargain shop, and find mainly cuts of meat with the bone in... aside from beef necks, what cuts of beef seem to be reasonable? I read a lot about how hard beef bones can be, then I read a lot of I feed this this and this of some of the same... I was going to try to do more research on what is safer and find cheaper resources for them, but hey that's a month after I start and I've still got a couple of weeks to go so who knows by then. Since there's actually a good amount of responding going on on the board today, lets see if I can slip in another question :wiggle:
what are your experiences with beef shanks, femurs, and knuckles... I was under the assumption that necks and ribs were okay - as well as most bone in roasts... but then I hear about necks being hard... ? What beef bones are A-OK, what's worth a try, and what should I avoid completely? I have a good supplier for shanks, femurs, & knuckles :mmm: (outside of regular grocery stores) as well as necks and soup bones... which I am a little sketch about now. :huh?:

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Fri May 06, 2011 4:40 pm

I spend about $40-$50/month to feed a 50lb dog and a 15lb dog. Sometimes less.

I bought a huge chest freezer on CL for $100 and stock up on sales. Chicken leg quarters are the staple around here, with all sorts of other goodies mixed in.

Search ethnic markets and call butchers as well!

HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Sat May 07, 2011 10:29 am

big fat nice post --- eaten by space..... mad now -- leaving to pout!

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sat May 07, 2011 2:20 pm

As far as beef bones for RMB's most are too hard and better for just recreational bones. Maybe oxtail, but I have found they are kind of fattyish. You can feed beef tongue, but that is obviously boneless. I have fed beef stew meat. Beef is kind of pricey and I don't feed tongue :oops:

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Sat May 07, 2011 3:59 pm

i feed all kinds of beef, including oxtail. If you can get cheap beef go for it, you can always cut the meat off of a bone if you feel it is too big for them to eat. As for which bones? umm.. i would stay away from weight bearing bones, ive fed ribs, necks etc, if the bones are to thick for them they will chew it but not consume it. For shanks, femurs and knuckles, those are recreational bones, not dinner bones. They are too big and hard to be consumable and i doubt you will get any that have enough meat on them to make it worth it. But if you give recreational bones then go for it! my guys love knuckle bones!

I wish I could find fish cheap enough to be worth it!

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Sun May 08, 2011 6:00 am

If you scroll down, this will give you a link to various raw feeding groups in your state. :thumbsup:

http://www.dogaware.com/diet/rawgroups.html

white0nr1ce
Newborn Bully

Postby white0nr1ce » Thu May 12, 2011 2:32 pm

^^^Thank you so much! This should really help find more local resources, which is sort of my last step before making the switch.

Return to “Health Issues”