Will parvo stunt at dog's growth

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
gixxerific
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby gixxerific » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:58 pm

Just wondering because Lucy seems small to me at this point maybe 30+ lbs. She is roughly 7 month's old. I have met a few people lately that were told her age and they told me she is about full grown. I find that hard to believe. Maybe I'm used to Maya who was 80+ she was a hoss of a dog.

Right now Lucy is long and in good shape I'm just wondering if she will get any taller. She is a short little chocolate. Cute and lovable just short. :inlove: I though they didn't stop grwoing until about 1 - 1 1/2 years. I could be way off here though. Also wondering if the parvo has anything to do with this. Possibly diet I know you are not supposed to feed them too much as to not make them grow too fast due to medical issues.

Basically I'm wondering do I have a runt or what. It really doesn't matter I love this girl with all my heart just wondering that's all.

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:08 pm

I'm sure there is something to be said for a dog that has undergone a major health problem (just like people) but I would not worry too much. If your vet is keeping an eye on her, I'd think they would let you know if there was a problem with weight.

My Capone was a teeny little thing and then at 10 months he finally started gaining weight and meeting the same weights as his siblings. Until then he was 1/2 their size!

I don't know, but I'd also wonder, if you know how big her parents were, that should be a clue too to determine how big she will be.

Good luck.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Re: Will parvo stunt at dog's growth

Postby FBODGRL » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:52 pm

30lbs for a female at that age isn't small to me. She will continue to bulk up for quite a while.

80lbs for a female is way over the breed standard.

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:16 pm

How big was Lucy's mom? Did you meet her when she and the pups were in the rescue?

Some pit bulls are 30ish pounds fully grown, too, but I'm sure she will grow a bit taller and then fill in as she gets older.

trexgorawrrrrr
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby trexgorawrrrrr » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:18 pm

They don't stop growing & filling out until 2 years old, so she's got a long way to go...

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:20 am

While they do continue to fill out and grow, if she is 30 npounds now (at 8 months) I would expect her to top out at not much more than 35 or 40, if kept at a proper weight. Good, IMO. Nice size for a female.

Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Nichole » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:20 am

Kingsgurl wrote:While they do continue to fill out and grow, if she is 30 npounds now (at 8 months) I would expect her to top out at not much more than 35 or 40, if kept at a proper weight. Good, IMO. Nice size for a female.

This is what came to my mind also. At that age my Violet was just under minimum breed (SBT) standard at 23 pounds and I was fretting I did something wrong. A year later (she's 1.5 yrs now) she's a nice healthy 26.8 pounds...just barely over minimum breed standard! And will probably gain another 0.5-1.0 pounds over the next year. Your little one will have 2 more years of filling out to do.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:17 am

Having had two parvo survivors I can say... I don't think so. LOL There is doubtfully a definitive but both of my parvo dogs grew to normal size. One thing though is parvo killed Patches ears and they never stood. He was an american eskimo dog to be shown so that was a bummer but otherwise he and Tucker turned out just fine after parvo as pups.

gixxerific
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby gixxerific » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:26 pm

She is good on the weight to size thing. She is not fat or underweight that is for sure. She is filling a bit here and there.

FDBGrrl yes 80 is a lot. My friend that had her parents say's they are both registered APBT though. I want to say Razors Edge and something else well known. Not that it matters to me. Maya was the greatest dog ever.

Lucy's mom was maybe twice her size she wasn't real big, she was thin at the time due to just having a little and probably being underfed.

She is just short I'm sure she will get to where she needs to be. To be quite honest she is a great manageable size right now.

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:11 pm

Austin had parvo and I don't think it stunted his growth, as far as I can tell anyway. Maybe his brain development, I wonder sometimes! lol

Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shoshana » Mon May 02, 2011 4:09 pm

She sounds like a good size to me.

When we found her Peanut was 44 lbs and the several vets we took her to all insisted she was abt 7 months old. I thought she looked full grown. 3 years later she looks exactly the same as when she showed up except she is not in heat and she's clean. She hasn't grown any and her ideal weight is still 44 lbs.

BigBadPibbul
Bully Ambassador

Postby BigBadPibbul » Sun May 08, 2011 3:06 pm

Two of my girls are Parvo survivors as well.
Stormy seems to be about the right size for her mix, we think, it's really hard telling because she is a mix and we've never seen her parents.

Loki on the other hand, we think she was affected by the disease. She was really stinking sick though, it was touch and go with her for about the first week which she spent in hospital, and horribly scary the second week at home on IV fluids and more pills than you could shake a stick at.
We knew both of Loki's parents and have occasional contact with the third female in the litter, the girl born directly after Loki. Dad was massive, mom was pretty big, Peaches (sister) is easily half again as big as Loki, perhaps twice her size. We've seen one of the males from the same litter once and by a year old he was nearly as big as dad. One of the other girls from the same litter passed away at about one and a half due to a swallowed object, she was the same size as mom by then.
Loki though is a little stump, you could consider her parents AM Bully and her sister falls into the category as well I suppose, while Lokiis actually closer size wise to APBT standard. Not to say that Loki is tiny, she's about 56 lbs give or take, but mom and sister are in the 75-80lb range and dad & brother are in the 90-120 lb range. Our vet is even amazed that she stayed so little compared to her family, I'm not about to complain lol

Return to “Health Issues”