Anal Glands *yuck*

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Anal Glands *yuck*

Postby PitBull-Lady » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:04 pm

So, since Flower has been a puppy, I've been the one to notice her 'smells'. Puppy breath, farts, poop changes etc. Well, the one thing i've been always a hawk eye errr nose about are her anal glands.

Unlike all of our other dogs, her glands leak like a sieve. Not ever having a problem with the others, this is a new territory for me. She leaks in her sleep. I swear!

I'm sitting here on the couch with her right next to me and smelling the leakage. Maybe once a week it happens? I HATE that smell more than poop. it so makes me want to hurl it's so invasive to all fabrics etc. She's sound asleep, no movement at all. She will likely get up and start licking the couch afterwards.

Every so often I wake up and smell it on the bed. Uuugh! I hate that more...

So what do I do? How do I get this to stop? Is it a matter of squeezing these things to keep them clean or what?
Please help here, it's just icky!!!

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Re: Anal Glands *yuck*

Postby mtlu » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:31 pm

Is she on any medication? Are her poops firm most of the time or are they soft? Is she okay with her diet overall (i.e. weight, coat/skin condition, energy, teeth, etc)?

Molly has had anal gland issues in the past and they were related to being on medication (NSAID) and separately, to fish oil given to supplement her food. She had mooshy stools on one brand of kibble (can't remember which one now) and I think that may have caused some issues. Thankfully she's back to her old self again (i.e. not needing them to be manually expressed) but I keep an eye on stool firmness as a "first indicator" of sorts as to whether or not she may have anal gland issues. I can often see a couple drips while she poops so I know they are getting expressed most of the time.

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Anal Glands *yuck*

Postby PitBull-Lady » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:45 pm

That's the confusing part. Her poop is a good consistency. Not too firm, not too soft. She is as regular as a clock. Her coat is if I do say so myself, beautiful! She is glossy and healthy and when we were at the vet not to long ago, she got the cleanest bill of health I've heard in a while. Oh yeah and no medication.

Unlike Capone when she poops I do not see any drips of gland goo. Then again, I had never seen it until him. Our other dogs never dripped. lol

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:14 pm

Booker used to occasionally leak when he was nice and relaxed. Like on my bed.

NO.

It was particularly bad when I tried to feed him a red-meat based food, but there were also other issues with him and red meat. The anal sacs seem to become more, ahem, "active" along with other skin cells if there is a bit of an allergy.

Once we went back to a food he does well on, now I just express his AGs myself maybe once a month or so. It's not actually totally terrible, takes mere seconds, and is at least a controlled sort of thing with just a couple layers of paper towels rather than a "surprise!" usually ill-timed release in bed.

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:17 pm

heartbullies wrote:... rather than a "surprise!" usually ill-timed release in bed.

ok, 'nough said. So, uh... how do i do this without squirting it all over me??????
can't believe I'm doing 'this' now lol

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:03 pm

Fran, our Basset had anal gland issues. I never noticed a smell; but she would scoot her bum on the floor and the vet would express her glands. This particular vet wanted to teach me how to do it, but I declined insisting that her medical expertise was necessary to perform the task.

Somehow I was having an anal gland conversation with my new vet and she thought it was risky to have people express them at home. Apparently I was right, some level of medical expertise is necessary because this vet said if done incorrectly you could rupture the gland.

ellie@ny
Matured Bully

Postby ellie@ny » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:18 pm

Just get some papertowel,lift up the tail with one hand,then you will be able to feel the AG on the 2 side(2 little bumps).Then gently start push with your finger the 2 sides together,and it will open them up.(I don't do the going into the hole method...)
I feed raw for years now,and I still have to do it occasionally,cause I don't want them to do it in the car(before a trip of course),or on the bed or couch...
Here is a video(there is plenty more! lol ),GOOD LUCK! You'll get used to it after a while...... :woowoo:
*WARNING!* Do not open the link while eating,or before a meal...... roflmao
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJStqOPCFdA

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:00 pm

Woah. That is a very...informative video. Ahem.

Rachel&Halo
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Rachel&Halo » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:24 am

wow. that video is graphic. ick.

lol

Halo leaks almost everyday - on my white bed sheets. The fragrant odor is invigorating. Ugh.

ellie@ny
Matured Bully

Postby ellie@ny » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:29 am

heartbullies wrote:Woah. That is a very...informative video. Ahem.

Hey I was just trying to help!!! roflmao

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:29 pm

Wow, that was not what I was expecting. I was thinking it would be more liquid-y. That poor cat.

I think it sounds sexier in British English :))
Just always say "anal glands" with an accent.

So, I was actually going to post up tonight...
I've been ummm, inspecting Flower's bottom more. She hides a lot of her business so i have really had to get up in there. :nana:

She does drip juice just like Capone does every time she goes. So she is producing... the bigger question is how do i get it to stop, or is the best solution to just 'squeeze'????

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:40 am

If she's expelling it herself when she goes outside, you shouldn't have to do anything, of course it's hard to tell if both sides are expelling just from watching. Some people try adding extra fiber to their food, such as a spoonful of canned pumpkin. It didn't help with Susie, though. I just have my vet do it when they go in for something else. I just took them in yesterday, Susie has a lipoma. Michael says, "Tis the season for the squeazin!" Ugg...

spammie

Postby spammie » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:30 pm

Everything sounds much more acceptable with an accent "introduce your finger into the back passage"

haircrazie016
Bully Ambassador

Postby haircrazie016 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:45 pm

haha ew that video was gross.

but it made me wonder too, I've been doing Paiges glands forever, the vet showed me how since she needed them done so often... Her uh "stuff" has never been that thick, but more of a brownish clear liquid...

for those of you who do it at home, would you say it looked like the cats in the video?

ellie@ny
Matured Bully

Postby ellie@ny » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:45 pm

haircrazie016 wrote:haha ew that video was gross.

for those of you who do it at home, would you say it looked like the cats in the video?

Definitely NOT!!!It's just liquid,pee like, but in brown color.
I have a cat and I never did and NEVER WILL TOUCH her butt after watching the video.... :wow

Return to “Health Issues”