Purdue Vaccine Study

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Adrianne

Purdue Vaccine Study

Postby Adrianne » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:25 am

Catherine O’Driscoll | Purdue Vaccine Study

PURDUE VACCINE STUDY

The Final Insult

All 27 veterinary schools in North America have changed their protocols for vaccinating dogs and cats along the following lines; (15) however, vets in practice are reluctant to listen to these changed protocols and official veterinary bodies in the UK and other countries are ignoring the following facts.

Dogs’ and cats’ immune systems mature fully at six months. If modified live-virus vaccine is giver after six months of age, it produces immunity, which is good for the life of the pet. If another MLV vaccine is given a year later, the antibodies from the first vaccine neutralise the antigens of the second vaccine and there is little or no effect. The litre is no “boosted”, nor are more memory cells induced.

Not only are annual boosters unnecessary, but they subject the pet to potential risks such as allergic reactions and immune-mediated haemolytic anaemia.

In plain language, veterinary schools in America, plus the American Veterinary Medical Association, have looked at studies to show how long vaccines last and they have concluded and announced that annual vaccination is unnecessary.(16-19)

Further, they have acknowledged that vaccines are not without harm. Dr Ron Schultz, head of pathobiology at Wisconsin University and a leading light in this field, has been saying this politely to his veterinary colleagues since the 1980s. I’ve been saying it for the past 12 years. But change is so long in coming and, in the meantime, hundreds of thousands of animals are dying every year – unnecessarily.

The good news is that thousands of animal lovers (but not enough) have heard what we’ve been saying. Canine Health Concern members around the world use real food as Nature’s supreme disease preventative, eschewing processed pet food, and minimise the vaccine risk. Some of us, myself included, have chosen not to vaccinate our pets at all. Our reward is healthy and long-lived dogs.

It has taken but one paragraph to tell you the good and simple news. The gratitude I feel each day, when I embrace my healthy dogs, stretches from the centre of the Earth to the Universe and beyond.

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Re: Purdue Vaccine Study

Postby dogs4jen » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:37 am

Wow, I wonder what sort of impact this will have. That made me feel better about refusing the annual booster for Susie last time I was at the vets.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:17 pm

When was this written? There is no date.

Also, I have not met anyone who recommends yearly vaccination for a LONG time... so I don't understand why this is such an issue? Everyone I know recommends 3 year vaccines, per the AAHA vaccine guidelines.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:34 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:When was this written? There is no date.

Also, I have not met anyone who recommends yearly vaccination for a LONG time... so I don't understand why this is such an issue? Everyone I know recommends 3 year vaccines, per the AAHA vaccine guidelines.

The article has a date of april 26 2011, I'm not positive on the study itself. I can do some digging after my obsessive sons of anarchy watching subsides.

Every vet I deal with here in Vegas pushes for yearlys.

SnowKoi2010
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby SnowKoi2010 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:49 pm

So if it actually un healthy to give your dog annual shots, then when should we give them the 'boosters?' Because like human shots, after a while don't they wear off? Just wondering. I haven't had a chance to read the entire article but I plan on it when I get home.

Inaras mom
Adolescent Bully

Postby Inaras mom » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:07 pm

What you can do are titers - the vet draws blood and I believe usually has to send it off to have it analyzed to make certain your dog still has a minimum number of antibodies or whatever to adequately protect them. If they have the minimum number, no need to vaccinate. A little pricier, but a lot safer. :)

PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Postby PITtsburgher » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:16 pm

So where is the actual study? Anyone can write a web page, I'd like to see something from a credible source like Purdue itself.

PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Postby PITtsburgher » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:29 pm

The study said that vaccination produces autoantibodies of uncertain significance. It didn't say anything about recommended vaccine schedules.

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:02 pm

I haven't found a vet around here who does. Both the local vets do yearly, my regular out of town vet does good for 2 year vacs. I get them every 3 on the dogs anyways and nothing on the cat/ferrets anymore.

PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Postby PITtsburgher » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:11 pm

Also this:
Dogs’ and cats’ immune systems mature fully at six months. If modified live-virus vaccine is giver after six months of age, it produces immunity, which is good for the life of the pet. If another MLV vaccine is given a year later, the antibodies from the first vaccine neutralise the antigens of the second vaccine and there is little or no effect. The litre is no “boosted”, nor are more memory cells induced.

is just not true. A primary response will form memory cells but does not involve much class switching or affinity maturation of the immunoglobulins. Secondary response gives much higher levels of immunoglobulins especially those class switched to IgG and much better affinity maturation. Boostering is to ensure that you get an adequate amount of memory cells maintained in the body and also gives you more effective memory cells with each exposure to the antigen.

Vet schools, AAHA, and AVMA all recommend vaccination every 3 years for rabies and dhpp and annually if it is something like Bordatella. This is old news and has nothing to do with the study posted.

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:56 pm

Inaras mom wrote:What you can do are titers - the vet draws blood and I believe usually has to send it off to have it analyzed to make certain your dog still has a minimum number of antibodies or whatever to adequately protect them. If they have the minimum number, no need to vaccinate. A little pricier, but a lot safer. :)

Not every state will accept Titers, it's much easier and safer to follow the three year protocol.

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:43 pm

All the vets here I have spoken with also recommend yearlies. When I told them I'm going to go with the three-year protocol, they were shocked and amazed. But . . . but . . . what if they get distemper? Since they've gotten yearlies for 4 and 8 years, respectively, I am quite certain every 3 years will be sufficient.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:59 pm

SnowKoi2010 wrote:So if it actually un healthy to give your dog annual shots, then when should we give them the 'boosters?' Because like human shots, after a while don't they wear off? Just wondering. I haven't had a chance to read the entire article but I plan on it when I get home.

The article is saying that if vaccines are given after 6 months they last for the life of the animal.

Inaras mom wrote:What you can do are titers - the vet draws blood and I believe usually has to send it off to have it analyzed to make certain your dog still has a minimum number of antibodies or whatever to adequately protect them. If they have the minimum number, no need to vaccinate. A little pricier, but a lot safer. :)

Michigan does not accept titers for Rabies which is the only vaccine required by law. They will accept 3 year vaccines though.

My personal vet does not recommend yearly boosters, but I could probably think of no less than 5-7 friends whose vets do without putting to much thought into it and more if I did.

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:27 pm

Titers for Rabies antibodies are insufficient for dog licensing here; vaccination every 3 years for dogs is required unless you have an animal that's too ill for vaccination, in which case you can get an exemption letter and your dog will be quarantined at home until well enough to receive a Rabies vaccine. !

However, I should be glad that the 3 year vaccines/licensing is--and has been-- allowed for dogs by the state. Most vets I have been to recommend vaccines done during puppyhood, then one a year later, then every three years. Only one vet has recommended annual vaccinations. I brought up that AAHA and AVMA no longer follow that protocol but he stuck to his guns, wrote out a 1-year Rabies certificate for my adult dog with documented prior Rabies vaccinations, and thus Booker had to get another Rabies vaccine the following year at a DIFFERENT vet, one that does 3 year vaccinations. They totally lost my business over that.

Return to “Health Issues”