Purdue Vaccine Study

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
User avatar
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 10721
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:33 pm
Location: Eastpointe, MI
Contact:

Re: Purdue Vaccine Study

Postby FBODGRL » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:32 pm

Khan had to get a 1 years rabies and then the 3 year also, but he had an undocumented vaccine history. The rescue had no paper work on him at all. So I ended up doing 2 rounds of vaccines 3 years apart. He is done now, except Rabies (cause I have to and Lepto cause it is very common and there is no titer for it)

User avatar
Odnarb
Moderator
Posts: 5377
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2003 3:01 am
Location: Northwest Iowa
Contact:

Re: Re: Purdue Vaccine Study

Postby Odnarb » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:03 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:When was this written? There is no date.

Also, I have not met anyone who recommends yearly vaccination for a LONG time... so I don't understand why this is such an issue? Everyone I know recommends 3 year vaccines, per the AAHA vaccine guidelines.



The vets up here in my community still require yearly vaccines, and they won't board dogs without them.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

User avatar
mtlu
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 5843
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:32 pm
Location: san francisco

Re: Purdue Vaccine Study

Postby mtlu » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:23 pm

All of the vets we have brought Molly to have done the 3yr protocol so there was no need to discuss it very much. What's nice is that we can pay for dog licensing here in 3 year increments also so it's easy to remember to do that right after getting the rabies vaccine. All of our vets send the little "bordetella reminder postcard" every six months which I always ignore and we haven't done lepto in over two years since that was the last time Molly was boarded.

User avatar
nic
Forum Junky
Posts: 3391
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:32 pm
Location: UK

Re: Purdue Vaccine Study

Postby nic » Sun May 01, 2011 3:22 am

I think Catherine O'Driscoll is here in the UK.My vet does annual vaccinations,and that's what is needed to board your dogs here too.
Its annoying!

PITtsburgher
Matured Bully
Posts: 570
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: Purdue Vaccine Study

Postby PITtsburgher » Sun May 01, 2011 10:16 am

FBODGRL wrote:
The article is saying that if vaccines are given after 6 months they last for the life of the animal.



The first little one page thing claims that, but the actual scientific article it claims as evidence has nothing about how long vaccines last or what vaccine schedules should be. Anyone can write an article on the internet so unless there is an actual study backing it up don't take it seriously.

User avatar
mtlu
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 5843
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:32 pm
Location: san francisco

Re: Purdue Vaccine Study

Postby mtlu » Sun May 01, 2011 11:18 am

Towards the bottom of the page linked below is a PDF from the World Small Animal Veterinary Association Vaccination Guidelines Group's guidelines for vaccinations (2010). I don't have a vet background so I don't anything about the group but there looks to be some good info in the PDF. It's a long read (32 pages) and I will need to re-read it a few times to understand enough of it but they do tak about "lifetime immunity" of certain vaccines. They also differentiate vaccine schedules for pets kept in shelter environments where there are more exposure risks.

http://www.wsava.org/VGG1.htm

User avatar
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 10721
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:33 pm
Location: Eastpointe, MI
Contact:

Re: Purdue Vaccine Study

Postby FBODGRL » Sun May 01, 2011 1:57 pm

PITtsburgher wrote:
FBODGRL wrote:
The article is saying that if vaccines are given after 6 months they last for the life of the animal.



The first little one page thing claims that, but the actual scientific article it claims as evidence has nothing about how long vaccines last or what vaccine schedules should be. Anyone can write an article on the internet so unless there is an actual study backing it up don't take it seriously.



It's really neither here nor there to me as I won't be vaccinating Khan any longer with the exception of Lepto and Rabies. Although I am a little up in the air about what I will be doing for my 1 year old cat who had all kitten vaccines and would be due for boosters this summer. I usually do one booster after the kitten series, but I'll talk with my vet and see what she thinks.

User avatar
Beowulf
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 7035
Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 10:04 am
Location: Texas

Re: Purdue Vaccine Study

Postby Beowulf » Sun May 01, 2011 2:10 pm

FBODGRL wrote:
PITtsburgher wrote:
FBODGRL wrote:
The article is saying that if vaccines are given after 6 months they last for the life of the animal.



The first little one page thing claims that, but the actual scientific article it claims as evidence has nothing about how long vaccines last or what vaccine schedules should be. Anyone can write an article on the internet so unless there is an actual study backing it up don't take it seriously.



It's really neither here nor there to me as I won't be vaccinating Khan any longer with the exception of Lepto and Rabies. Although I am a little up in the air about what I will be doing for my 1 year old cat who had all kitten vaccines and would be due for boosters this summer. I usually do one booster after the kitten series, but I'll talk with my vet and see what she thinks.


Lepto is the vaccine that we believe Pollyanna is reacting to, so we'll only be doing rabies.

User avatar
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 10721
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:33 pm
Location: Eastpointe, MI
Contact:

Re: Purdue Vaccine Study

Postby FBODGRL » Sun May 01, 2011 2:18 pm

Beowulf wrote:
FBODGRL wrote:
PITtsburgher wrote:
FBODGRL wrote:
The article is saying that if vaccines are given after 6 months they last for the life of the animal.



The first little one page thing claims that, but the actual scientific article it claims as evidence has nothing about how long vaccines last or what vaccine schedules should be. Anyone can write an article on the internet so unless there is an actual study backing it up don't take it seriously.



It's really neither here nor there to me as I won't be vaccinating Khan any longer with the exception of Lepto and Rabies. Although I am a little up in the air about what I will be doing for my 1 year old cat who had all kitten vaccines and would be due for boosters this summer. I usually do one booster after the kitten series, but I'll talk with my vet and see what she thinks.


Lepto is the vaccine that we believe Pollyanna is reacting to, so we'll only be doing rabies.



Yeah I wish I didn't have to do the Lepto, but there are so many cases in my city and area...not to mention the rat problem :(

User avatar
Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 7459
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:59 pm
Location: Shingle Springs, CA
Contact:

Re: Purdue Vaccine Study

Postby Kingsgurl » Sun May 01, 2011 4:02 pm

Glad I live in California. I'm actually kind of shocked that 1 year vaccines are still so common in some other areas. It's been pretty common here for a long time.

Canine Health Concern members around the world use real food as Nature’s supreme disease preventative, eschewing processed pet food, and minimise the vaccine risk. Some of us, myself included, have chosen not to vaccinate our pets at all.


Quality or 'real' non processed food may maintain a more healthy pet and may also boost your pets immune system, however, it is NOT the same thing as acutal immunity and even a very healthy pet is suseptable to virus' (like Parvo, Distemper etc.) It actually makes me nervous that people are choosing not to vaccinate at all. Distemper was rarely seen around here until recently, thanks in large part to vaccination against it. It has recently cropped up in the wild raccoon population and we have seen an outbreak of cases in unvaccinated dogs.

User avatar
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 10498
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:37 pm
Location: Iowa City, IA

Re: Purdue Vaccine Study

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun May 01, 2011 7:38 pm

Wow... I'm REALLY shocked you all have to do this, and very sorry too!!

Between Lepto, Lyme and Bordatella and trying to schedule everyone so that not more than two vaccines are given per visit ( and only 1 for dogs under 20 pounds) its hard enough to get everyone vaccinated without making Rabies and Distemper yearly too! Holy Kraut thats a lot of vaccine!!!

Here is a link to the AAHA Vaccination protocol... anyone not following this protocol is not following current standard of care.

https://secure.aahanet.org/eweb/dynamic ... Guidelines

And for cats, the American Association of Feline Pratitioners has their own set of guidelines.

http://www.catvets.com/professionals/gu ... ns/?Id=176

I follow these to the best of my ability, and am only pushy on vaccination on-time for the puppy series of vaccines, and rabies as required by state law. Everything else is up for interpretation, and I will often postpone vaccines for the slightest health concern, and senior pets with chronic health issues are only required to get rabies... well, by law, not by me. Very few people get titers as they run about $75 vs. $23 for a 3-year rabies.

User avatar
Odnarb
Moderator
Posts: 5377
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2003 3:01 am
Location: Northwest Iowa
Contact:

Re: Purdue Vaccine Study

Postby Odnarb » Sun May 01, 2011 7:42 pm

I suspect that most of these vets are following manufacturers recommendations due to fear of litigation. Or money. It makes me sad. I would rather not vaccinate yearly, but I have to board them one weekend a year.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

User avatar
pblove
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 15599
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:28 pm
Location: east coast

Re: Purdue Vaccine Study

Postby pblove » Sun May 01, 2011 8:36 pm

here are a few links for those interested:


VACCINE LINKS

http://www.asr-svcs.dircon.co.uk/wwwchc/
http://www.abap.org/nosodes.htm
http://www.healthy.net/library/articles/ivn/animals.htm
http://cyberpet.com/cyberdog/articles/health/vaccin.htm
http://www.avma.org/vafstf/ownbroch.html
http://members.aol.com/ifta2/vaccine1.htm
http://members.aol.com/k9health/wwwk9h/vac_toc.htm
http://www.felinefuture.com/library/med ... myth1.html
http://www.blakkatz.com/vaccination5.htm
http://www.altvetmed.com/vaccine.html
http://www.naturalrearing.com/MainIndex
http://www.naturalholistic.com/handouts/hpmaster.htm
http://www.albany.net/~sterling/links.htm
http://homepage.tinet.ie/~progers/homeo.htm
http://www.lyghtforce.com/HomeopathyOnl ... oice2.html
http://www.lyghtforce.com/HomeopathyOnl ... oice3.html
http://www.bact.wisc.edu/scienceEd/vaccines.html
http://members.aol.com/k9epi/vaccinations.html
vaccine information as it relates to immune system :
http://www.poochnet.com/articles/vaccin.htm
http://www.asr-svcs.dircon.co.uk/wwwchc/vac_rslt.htm
http://cyberpet.com/cyberdog/articles/health/vaccin.htm

Vaccinosis : Chronic Diseases Caused by Vaccines
http://www.cyberpet.com/cyberdog/articl ... vaccin.htm
http://www.doglogic.com/vaccination.htm#Vaccinosis
http://www.holisticat.com/archive.html


Kensington Veterinary Hospital- The Vaccination Question:
http://www.gothere.com/AdamsAve/3817/3817b.htm

Are We Vaccinating Too Much?
http://www.europa.com/~dshecklr/Vaccinations2a.html

The Vaccination Debate:
http://members.aol.com/abywood/www/vaccine.htm

Vaccination: Shield Against Canine Diseases
http://www.canismajor.com/dog/vaccine.html

Annual Vaccinations Come Under Scrutiny
http://www.canismajor.com/dog/vacci01.html

Vaccine Damage Tribunals:
http://members.aol.com/abywood/www/vacboost.htm

Immune Problems, Vaccines, and Cancer in Animals
http://208.130.190.3/herbfest/98/notes/snimm.html
http://www.labbies.com/immun.htm

Key Vaccination Articles:
http://members.aol.com/tadesca/vaxlinks.html

"What vets Don't Tell You About Vaccines" by Catherine
O'Driscoll

User avatar
RescueAPBT
Matured Bully
Posts: 524
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:54 am
Location: High Point, NC
Contact:

Re: Purdue Vaccine Study

Postby RescueAPBT » Sun May 01, 2011 8:51 pm

Vets in my area require yearly vaccines, as do the boarding kennels. Given that Isabeau has recently had Mast Cell Tumors, and my French Bulldog is prone to allergic reactions, I really don't have any desire to vaccinate them. I'm going to have to make a decision next time I go out of town and have to board them.

User avatar
Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler
Posts: 10361
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2003 1:21 am

Re: Purdue Vaccine Study

Postby Sarah » Sun May 01, 2011 9:10 pm

The boarding kennel I've used only requires that the dog be current on vaccines, so the 3-yr schedule I use works fine, according to the vet records, they are current. There's a very nice boarding place nearby that I regretfully decided not to use, because they did require annual vaccines, but I was just checking and saw that they now just say "current". So, I do fine here with the 3-yr schedule. Though Tully can't be vaccinated anymore, so probably can't be boarded anymore.


Return to “Health Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests