Purdue Vaccine Study

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Re: Purdue Vaccine Study

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed May 04, 2011 10:42 pm

WackyJacki wrote:No thanks. One cat has FIV and I will not mess around with his immune system. The others have all had rabies vaccines in the past and I am not at all worried about contracting any diseases from them.

I'm more concerned about their health now than what might happen to their bodies after they're dead (on the very, very slight chance one of my very amicable cats bites me).

Thats fine! As long as you know... I had second thoughts about posting it, wasn't sure if I'd mentioned it already elsewhere or not.

I just know it has been a very sad circumstance for many people, and adding that extra unexpected issue on at the end of life is very hard for many. If its a known issue, then it makes it easier to deal with if it comes up. Its just one of many many things to think about when making vaccine decisions.

SnowKoi2010
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby SnowKoi2010 » Wed May 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Snow now that Snow has had her Adult shots, should I talk to my vet about maybe doing 3 years and if he refuses, ask why?

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed May 04, 2011 11:04 pm

SnowKoi2010 wrote:Snow now that Snow has had her Adult shots, should I talk to my vet about maybe doing 3 years and if he refuses, ask why?

YES! And take the AAHA standards with you so you have a reason to refuse. Rabies according to law, all else according to AAHA standards unless there is a medical reason to do otherwise.

SnowKoi2010
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby SnowKoi2010 » Wed May 04, 2011 11:09 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:
SnowKoi2010 wrote:Snow now that Snow has had her Adult shots, should I talk to my vet about maybe doing 3 years and if he refuses, ask why?

YES! And take the AAHA standards with you so you have a reason to refuse. Rabies according to law, all else according to AAHA standards unless there is a medical reason to do otherwise.

yeah Rabies has to be done yearly around here no and's if's or but's. We have too many rabie cases here. how do I get a copy of the AAHA standards?
Last edited by SnowKoi2010 on Wed May 04, 2011 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Wed May 04, 2011 11:10 pm

People have bats in their homes? We have a very high bat population in the Vegas Valley and I've yet to see a bat come near getting in my house... how strange!

Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Nichole » Wed May 04, 2011 11:13 pm

I've been doing titers for 2 years now. Once they were fully vaccinated by 6 months or so, the only thing they get after that is rabies and that is because it is required by law. A titer will not suffice. With the rabies they are on an every 3 years routine. Everything else our vet wants to give a yearly booster. I refuse. I request a titer instead. Thus far they have been fully immune, no boosters required.

Last week was Sadie's yearly (she's 2.5 years old). The vet looked at me like I had a 2nd head on my shoulders when I said no to boosters and asked for a titer instead. She pushed. I pushed back. Sadie got her titer and she's immune. No need for that booster tyvm

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed May 04, 2011 11:57 pm

Nichole wrote:I've been doing titers for 2 years now. Once they were fully vaccinated by 6 months or so, the only thing they get after that is rabies and that is because it is required by law. A titer will not suffice. With the rabies they are on an every 3 years routine. Everything else our vet wants to give a yearly booster. I refuse. I request a titer instead. Thus far they have been fully immune, no boosters required.

Last week was Sadie's yearly (she's 2.5 years old). The vet looked at me like I had a 2nd head on my shoulders when I said no to boosters and asked for a titer instead. She pushed. I pushed back. Sadie got her titer and she's immune. No need for that booster tyvm

In Seattle even?? Ugh... I have a classmate in Northish Seattle who's an amazing Doctor (did an internship and started a neurology residency) if you want a vet who won't fight you :D :D :D

I'm sorry if I keep responding to every single post... but the number of people fighting yearly vaccines is honestly just boggling...

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed May 04, 2011 11:58 pm

SnowKoi2010 wrote:
yeah Rabies has to be done yearly around here no and's if's or but's. We have too many rabie cases here. how do I get a copy of the AAHA standards?

The links to both the canine and feline guidelines were posted early in this thread.

SnowKoi2010
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby SnowKoi2010 » Thu May 05, 2011 12:15 am

I really don't like giving my dogs shots every year, not with the cost, but because if the dog doesn't need it then why force them to get something they don't need. So if I can get my vet to do the tree year protocol, I will be happy.

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Thu May 05, 2011 12:35 am

Adrianne wrote:People have bats in their homes? We have a very high bat population in the Vegas Valley and I've yet to see a bat come near getting in my house... how strange!

Yes, yes they do. And usually they also seem to have high ceilings and open floor plans and 5 kids and at least 4 unvaccinated animals and find the bat at 11:30PM. Sigh. lol

nsbullylover
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby nsbullylover » Thu May 05, 2011 1:15 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:
Nichole wrote:I've been doing titers for 2 years now. Once they were fully vaccinated by 6 months or so, the only thing they get after that is rabies and that is because it is required by law. A titer will not suffice. With the rabies they are on an every 3 years routine. Everything else our vet wants to give a yearly booster. I refuse. I request a titer instead. Thus far they have been fully immune, no boosters required.

In Seattle even?? Ugh... I have a classmate in Northish Seattle who's an amazing Doctor (did an internship and started a neurology residency) if you want a vet who won't fight you :D :D :D

I'm sorry if I keep responding to every single post... but the number of people fighting yearly vaccines is honestly just boggling...

Before I found my current vet I spent a lot of time fighting yearly vaccines, I even changed clinics about 4 times trying to find a vet that didn't push yearly vaccines (and monthly flea treatments).

Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Nichole » Thu May 05, 2011 1:19 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:

Yup even in Seattle. This gal wasnt my usual. My usual vet was very cool about such things but he retired so now I'm circling through the vets of the clinic to see if there is one I like. I dealt with one vet for Violet - he saw her last minute because of an acute eye infection. He doesnt normally see regular pts as he is the surgeon. He also took care of Vi's vaccine needs and didnt blink an eye when I asked for a titer but...he's the surgeon. He's not one who sees routine patients. I'll let you know if I end up needing that recommendation ;)

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu May 05, 2011 1:28 pm

My classmate is Dr. Wendi Walsh, and she works at the Covington VCA hospital.

highflyergirl19
Adolescent Bully

Postby highflyergirl19 » Tue May 10, 2011 8:50 pm

Ajax has had all his puppy shots (he's five months old now), so can I just ask for the three year vaccines when he goes back for more shots? I'm not sure if my vet normally suggests boosters every year, but I definitely don't want to over vaccinate him.

I want to do what's best for him so if a booster every year isn't necessary I'll just save my money.

Return to “Health Issues”