BARF/Raw Feeders Please Reply

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
INOCNTKITN187
Bully Lover 4 Life

BARF/Raw Feeders Please Reply

Postby INOCNTKITN187 » Tue May 03, 2011 12:53 pm

Hi all! I am now raising meat animals and would like to offer them to BARF/Raw Feeders, but I need to know where to advertise. Craigslist didn't go so well, as you can imagine. Any suggestions?

All of our animals are raised as naturally as possible, without growth hormones or unnecessary antibiotics. We raise & preserve endangered, heritage breeds. By selling the ones we cull for meat, we offer the buyer the chance to feed their pet high quality meat and help preserve breeds of livestock that were brought our civilization to the modern age. Our animals are as low-input, high-output as possible.

If you have any suggestions, please let us know. And, thank you in advance!

haircrazie016
Bully Ambassador

Re: BARF/Raw Feeders Please Reply

Postby haircrazie016 » Tue May 03, 2011 1:54 pm

there are some really great yahoo groups for raw and barf feeders, I would definitely start there!

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Tue May 03, 2011 1:55 pm

Put together a website for starters and an ordering form. Then start dropping the word on every forum and on facebook and let things spread!

Flibgit
Matured Bully

Postby Flibgit » Tue May 03, 2011 2:44 pm

Check for yahoo lists in your area that pertain to raw feeding. That's how I found most of the sources I've tried. Also watch craigslist for "meat wanted" ads. If you respond to a couple of those, you can make contacts to raw-feeding owners. I'm sure if your prices are fair and you treat a couple customers well, they'll be more than happy to tell their other raw-feeding friends.

INOCNTKITN187
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby INOCNTKITN187 » Tue May 03, 2011 8:36 pm

I only found one RAW Yahoo group, called RAW-Lite. I know there are others, what are the names of some of the other ones? I must be searching for the wrong thing- though you'd think typing in "RAW dog food" would get it done :dunno:

Also, how much would be considered reasonable prices? I've heard $10-$15 for a whole fryer rabbit (including processing). Is that typical? I know it's about right for snake food, but unsure for dog/cat food. Is there a market for rabbit & duck organ meat, or only large animal organs? I know the bones would be useless, but I'm hoping the head or organs can be used. Does anyone buy goose for their pets?

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Tue May 03, 2011 11:39 pm

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Carn ... =228967452

Search they yahoo groups for raw feeding groups in your area (unless you plan on shipping or delivering out of your state) I know in my area of Michigan we have at least 3 separate raw feeding groups (co-ops) on yahoo. The suppliers post on there with a price list and when they will be delivering. They set up "meet spots" and everyone goes to that place to meet the supplier and pick up their stuff.

Also some suppliers go to farmers markets. I've never been to one, so I don't have any advice as far as that is concerned.

I don't feed rabbit as of yet so I am not sure on prices. I don't see why the organs for anything wouldn't be usable. I know for me personally I have had BIG problems with beef organs (which are easiest to find in grocery stores, etc) and recently had to switch to pork (which I had to get through a raw supplier)

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Tue May 03, 2011 11:41 pm

I did a search...although I would search on your own to, because I kind of suck at yahoo group stuff lol

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/FloraBamaBarf/
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/FloriBamaRAW/
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/cent ... ers-co-op/
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/SouthAlabamaRaw/

I am not sure how active those groups are. I know the raw groups for my area aren't very active. Basically just posts about what is available and who is delivering when.

Kahlie
Forum Junky

Postby Kahlie » Wed May 04, 2011 12:54 pm

INOCNTKITN187 wrote:I only found one RAW Yahoo group, called RAW-Lite. I know there are others, what are the names of some of the other ones? I must be searching for the wrong thing- though you'd think typing in "RAW dog food" would get it done :dunno:

Also, how much would be considered reasonable prices? I've heard $10-$15 for a whole fryer rabbit (including processing). Is that typical? I know it's about right for snake food, but unsure for dog/cat food. Is there a market for rabbit & duck organ meat, or only large animal organs? I know the bones would be useless, but I'm hoping the head or organs can be used. Does anyone buy goose for their pets?

I'd love to be your neighbor :)

Cats require taurine in their food (as they cannot produce on their own), and organ meats (particularly heart and liver) have a higher concentration of it, so yes, you'll find plenty of people interested in organ meats!

Lots of animals exist with allergies nowadays, so many (me :( ) are constantly on the lookout for affordable, alternative meats (not chicken/beef).

As for bones, not useless!! The only ones I personally discourage is "weight bearing bones" of larger (beef/bison/deer, etc) animals. I've never tried goat, etc., so I'm not sure about those guys. Neck bone is great. I've heard ribs are as well, though I'm not big on them personally...

There are those who feed prey model, as in whole carcass...so they'd be giddy about whole prey completely intact :)

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Wed May 04, 2011 3:15 pm

The frozen, whole rabbit I buy from my supplier is $1.50/lb. Skinned and gutted it's around $2.60/lb.

Kahlie
Forum Junky

Postby Kahlie » Fri May 06, 2011 12:38 pm

WackyJacki wrote:The frozen, whole rabbit I buy from my supplier is $1.50/lb. Skinned and gutted it's around $2.60/lb.

Waa?? where do you live? can I have?
lol

If I can find one for $15/kg I'm thrilled

I also had a farmer tell me that's too gourmet for dogs.

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Fri May 06, 2011 2:07 pm

I pay about $4-5 a whole rabbit, 2-3 pounds each. Dressed is like $3 a pound. Organ meats are definitely useful for rabbit and duck and hard to find, goose I have never fed as it's pretty expensive online and can't find it locally. For comparison pricing I order food from both rodent pro and haretoday, you could check them and compare. Also feline-nutrition.org would probably list you as a supplier, the holistic ferret forum would as well.

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Fri May 06, 2011 4:37 pm

Kahlie wrote:
WackyJacki wrote:The frozen, whole rabbit I buy from my supplier is $1.50/lb. Skinned and gutted it's around $2.60/lb.

Waa?? where do you live? can I have?
lol

If I can find one for $15/kg I'm thrilled

I also had a farmer tell me that's too gourmet for dogs.

lol I get my rabbits from here: http://larsonrabbitry.com/

He's in WI but delivers to the Chicago area every few months. Even with the delivery fee it's well under $2/lb. Yay!

Return to “Health Issues”