Breedfreak pet costs calculator

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Breedfreak pet costs calculator

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue May 03, 2011 9:51 pm

Just found this through a blog my boss sent out to the clinic... VERY interesting... mostly entertaining...

http://www.breedfreak.com/breedfreak-calculator/

Here's an excerpt:
14. Dental procedure. Sounds funny now but what do you think your mouth would smell like if you ate dirt and sucked on tennis balls for 10 years. It would stink and your dogs mouth will to. In ten years you will pay anyone anything to make it smell better. Hopefully you only have to do it once and you wont have to pull any teeth. Extractions cost more. The price is all over the place but estimate at least $500.00. If you have a breed that we identify as prone to dental problems in the breedfreak breed profiles better estimate $2000

15. Major orthopedic surgery: This one is optional but if you have a breed that we identify as is prone to orthopedic disease estimate $5000 for each joint. Pray you do not need to do more than one joint. Pray again while you are at it.

16. Exploratory abdominal surgery: Hope and pray your dog does not eat a sock or your kids action figure or they will be cut open to get it removed. This one is optional but if you have a breed that we identify as prone to eating the house in the Breedfreak breed profile you better estimate $3500.00

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Re: Breedfreak pet costs calculator

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue May 03, 2011 9:56 pm

More: all I have to say is OUCH!!
Call a breed registry or peruse the AKC descriptions of dog breeds and you will be lead to believe that any dog breed if given just the right amount of TLC, a few obedience classes, and a good romp in the park every few days, can make a good household pet.

Unfortunately, as the saying goes, you can’t polish a turd and some dog breeds are predisposed to making your life a living nightmare.

Although there are some standout dogs of any breed, when you play the numbers, the following are our top 5 disaster dogs for dog owners who live normal lives, with normal incomes, with normal families, in normal houses, who do not want to worry that their dog is eating their house, running away and getting lost, or chowing on the face of their neighbor’s kid.

Chow Chow: The AKC says “Affectionate and devoted to family, the Chow is reserved and discerning with strangers.” We say, “The chow chow is a beta fish in bear clothing.”

Afghan Hound: The AKC says “Known for being aloof, dignified, and for having a highly individualized personality, Afghan Hounds are prized and loved by their owners as companions and members of their family. We say, the Afghan is “Forrest Gump with four legs.”

Siberian Husky: The AKC says “New owners should be prepared to provide an outlet for exercise daily, whether through walks or an enclosed space in which to run.” We say “not unless you own a sled.”

Akita: The AKC says “Akita temperament can range from calm to bouncy and aggressive, so the breed should always be supervised around small children and other animals. Akitas like to be “pack leader,” so obedience training is also necessary for a harmonious household. We say “ WOOOHOO. The AKC got one right.” We also say that it is “A matter of when – not if” with this breed.

Shar Pei: The AKC says “They are bright and learn quickly, but early training and socialization are important, as is daily exercise.” We say “this breed needs more than botox to get our approval.”
Now you know our top five disaster dog breeds. Get the book to learn exactly why we say these breeds are a disaster and which breeds you should actually consider bringing into your home.

SnowKoi2010
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby SnowKoi2010 » Tue May 03, 2011 9:58 pm

I like! I estimated a lot but its still came out pretty pricey. ^^ Nice Find. I am totally bookmarking it.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Tue May 03, 2011 10:57 pm

Entertaining, but skimpy on facts. I looked at the sample chapters of the book they are promoting. First, the photo for the Keeshond is not a Keeshond. Might be a Finnish Spitz, or else a mixed breed. In the description, the weights given for the breed are considerably higher than true (though the height range is correct). And frankly, I like Keeshonden, and don't consider their description of the breed to be at all accurate. Hairy and barky, yes, they did get that right (therefore, not a breed I'd get myself). But they have a nice, fun, active temperament. Good pets, and good for agility & obedience.

The chapter on Afghan Hounds is mostly about how stupid they are, and I don't think that is true either, though I don't have as much experience with Afghans. They are fairly hard to train, though, they aren't a breed very interested in working with humans, though we do have some successful agility Afghans in this area, so they are well capable. Hard to train doesn't equal stupid, though. I'd agree that they aren't the ideal pet for most people, but that's no reason to malign them.

Also a little suspicious on their "master list" of breeds that they consider worth profiling. I'd bet the criteria is whether they've ever actually met a dog of that breed. Otherwise, why have something as rare as the Komondor on there, and not the considerably more common Great Pyrenees?

Flibgit
Matured Bully

Postby Flibgit » Wed May 04, 2011 9:47 am

Personally I wouldn't buy any book that includes "pit bull terrier" and "labradoodle" in their list of breeds.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed May 04, 2011 10:35 am

Flibgit wrote:Personally I wouldn't buy any book that includes "pit bull terrier" and "labradoodle" in their list of breeds.

Oh I'm certainly not interested in purchasing the book or recommending it... its just entertainment in my eyes. The calculator is good, and I wish more people would think about the costs before buying a pet.

I did think about buying the pit bull page just for fun, but I don't know that it would be worth the 5.00, especially if it turns out to be completely false, I don't want to pay to get angry.

Flibgit
Matured Bully

Postby Flibgit » Wed May 04, 2011 11:03 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:
Flibgit wrote:Personally I wouldn't buy any book that includes "pit bull terrier" and "labradoodle" in their list of breeds.

Oh I'm certainly not interested in purchasing the book or recommending it... its just entertainment in my eyes. The calculator is good, and I wish more people would think about the costs before buying a pet.

I did think about buying the pit bull page just for fun, but I don't know that it would be worth the 5.00, especially if it turns out to be completely false, I don't want to pay to get angry.

Yes, the calculator is helpful.

I just get irate when I see "labradoodle" listed as a breed. :) And the comment about "someday you might have that Italian mastiff who will bite the face off your children, but you will still love it because it's such a rare breed". I can only imagine what they have to say about pit bulls. :twisted:

SnowKoi2010
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby SnowKoi2010 » Wed May 04, 2011 11:32 am

Whats wrong with Labradoodle being considered a breed? You can take two Labradoodles and get the pups look the same as the parents. All of your 'pure bred' dogs now where mutts back in the day and I am pretty open to new breeds.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Wed May 04, 2011 12:13 pm

SnowKoi2010 wrote:Whats wrong with Labradoodle being considered a breed? You can take two Labradoodles and get the pups look the same as the parents. All of your 'pure bred' dogs now where mutts back in the day and I am pretty open to new breeds.

99% of the labradoodles I have met are f1 pups, aka most people breeding them seem to be breeding a lab and poodle and not continuing the lines through f2/f3 etc breedings. There is also no continuity in the breed whatsoever.

Flibgit
Matured Bully

Postby Flibgit » Wed May 04, 2011 1:27 pm

To me, labradoodle is a mutt. Just like a maltipoo or a cockapoo. There's nothing wrong with mutts just don't try selling them as "designer breeds".

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed May 04, 2011 1:29 pm

If you do a search for "mutt" the labradoodle is what comes up in the search.

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Wed May 04, 2011 3:09 pm

They are mutts. They don't have generations of dogs that are consistently bred to a set standard.

I have a mutt. Nothing wrong with having a mutt. Not sure why people are so ashamed of that fact and insist they have a "purebred" dog.

SnowKoi2010
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby SnowKoi2010 » Wed May 04, 2011 3:56 pm

Thats funny because I have heard of people breeding Labradoodles together and making more not the other way around. To me, all dogs (Even with a pedigree) are mutts; Because they had to cross other breeds to get what you have today. However, the term mutt is used for two dogs with unknown linage. If you breed a UKC Dachshund and a ACK Miniture Pincher, you get a Doxie-Pin, which isn't by term a mutt since you know both sides of the dogs family tree was pure bred. If you can successfully take two Doxie-Pins and breed them and get pups that look like both parents then they are considered a 'pure bred' dog.

One day your said 'designer' breeds will be actual dog breeds that will be in shows and other competitions. Just because you see them as 'mutts' doesn't mean that everyone else does.

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Wed May 04, 2011 4:04 pm

No, not all dogs are mutts. Yes, all dog breeds have been created by mixing various other dogs to create the desired outcome. This takes time and generations.

Just because you can come up with cutesy names doesn't make it a "breed". It's a mutt. I have a mutt that I love and adore.

The term "mutt" has many definitions, but is usually meant to describe a dog of mixed breeds, not "unknown lineage".

It's not that I see them as mutts, it's that they fit the very definition of a mutt.

Flibgit
Matured Bully

Postby Flibgit » Wed May 04, 2011 4:10 pm

SnowKoi2010 wrote:Thats funny because I have heard of people breeding Labradoodles together and making more not the other way around. To me, all dogs (Even with a pedigree) are mutts; Because they had to cross other breeds to get what you have today. However, the term mutt is used for two dogs with unknown linage. If you breed a UKC Dachshund and a ACK Miniture Pincher, you get a Doxie-Pin, which isn't by term a mutt since you know both sides of the dogs family tree was pure bred. If you can successfully take two Doxie-Pins and breed them and get pups that look like both parents then they are considered a 'pure bred' dog.

One day your said 'designer' breeds will be actual dog breeds that will be in shows and other competitions. Just because you see them as 'mutts' doesn't mean that everyone else does.

In my opinion anyone breeding mixed-breed/mutts shouldn't be breeding. There are plenty of mixed breed dogs in the shelter looking for homes. A responsible breeder breeds to better their breed, not to make money, not to create "new breeds", not to create puppies with cute "breed names".

Find me a responsible Cockapoo breeder who gives a damn about their dogs and bettering the "cockapoo" breed instead of making money and I may change my mind.

ETA: I've had mutts. I loved my mutts, but I didn't call them by some cutesy breed name. They were a "shepherd lab cross", a "golden lab cross" (No, not a golden lab, a golden retriever-yellow lab cross), and two rescued pit bull type mutts. That's what they are/were. I can make up names to make myself think they're purebred, but they're not.

Return to “Health Issues”