Breedfreak pet costs calculator

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Re: Breedfreak pet costs calculator

Postby WackyJacki » Wed May 04, 2011 4:23 pm

Flibgit wrote:In my opinion anyone breeding mixed-breed/mutts shouldn't be breeding. There are plenty of mixed breed dogs in the shelter looking for homes. A responsible breeder breeds to better their breed, not to make money, not to create "new breeds", not to create puppies with cute "breed names".

Find me a responsible Cockapoo breeder who gives a damn about their dogs and bettering the "cockapoo" breed instead of making money and I may change my mind.

:goodpost:

Exactly.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Wed May 04, 2011 4:33 pm

WackyJacki wrote:
Flibgit wrote:In my opinion anyone breeding mixed-breed/mutts shouldn't be breeding. There are plenty of mixed breed dogs in the shelter looking for homes. A responsible breeder breeds to better their breed, not to make money, not to create "new breeds", not to create puppies with cute "breed names".

Find me a responsible Cockapoo breeder who gives a damn about their dogs and bettering the "cockapoo" breed instead of making money and I may change my mind.

Exactly.

i agree. While I dont think it is neccessarily a bad thing to create new breeds, I think it should be done responsibly. There should be a standard you are looking for in physical and temperment qualities. There should be specific lineages used and health testing done. But they are still not going to be a purebred until you can breed them and have them breed true, ie fitting into a certain standard, though there are variations obviously of standard (as has been discussed a lot before) you should be getting more dogs to a standard in a litter then not.

SnowKoi2010
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby SnowKoi2010 » Wed May 04, 2011 4:38 pm

starrlamia wrote:
WackyJacki wrote:

Exactly.

i agree. While I dont think it is neccessarily a bad thing to create new breeds, I think it should be done responsibly. There should be a standard you are looking for in physical and temperment qualities. There should be specific lineages used and health testing done. But they are still not going to be a purebred until you can breed them and have them breed true, ie fitting into a certain standard, though there are variations obviously of standard (as has been discussed a lot before) you should be getting more dogs to a standard in a litter then not.

And IF you can do this then good for you. But going around and calling all dogs that have a mixed linage mutts (Even if the linage is known) is very irritating. There are some people out there that do their designer breeds in sports. There is a particular registry for designer breeds. I think if you have the knowledge and patience to create a new breed more power to you. But don't go around calling designer breeds mutts because you don't know how they came about. It has been proven that you can breed two Labradoodles and get pups that look like the parents. Thus there is a standard for the breed. I don't know how many other breeds could be done like that, but it takes linage, selective breeding and many other resources to do. This isn't something that is going to happen over night.

Flibgit
Matured Bully

Postby Flibgit » Wed May 04, 2011 5:03 pm

SnowKoi2010 wrote:
starrlamia wrote:
WackyJacki wrote:

Exactly.

And IF you can do this then good for you. But going around and calling all dogs that have a mixed linage mutts (Even if the linage is known) is very irritating. There are some people out there that do their designer breeds in sports. There is a particular registry for designer breeds. I think if you have the knowledge and patience to create a new breed more power to you. But don't go around calling designer breeds mutts because you don't know how they came about. It has been proven that you can breed two Labradoodles and get pups that look like the parents. Thus there is a standard for the breed. I don't know how many other breeds could be done like that, but it takes linage, selective breeding and many other resources to do. This isn't something that is going to happen over night.

Which registry recognizes labradoodles as a breed?

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Wed May 04, 2011 5:04 pm

I'm not sure what you don't understand. Mutt isn't a dirty word. It simply means the dog is a mix. Doesn't matter if the heritage is known or not. It also doesn't matter if it's for sport, money, fads, etc. Breeding two purebred dogs creates mutts. Easy peezy. :aha:

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Wed May 04, 2011 5:04 pm

Flibgit wrote:Which registry recognizes labradoodles as a breed?

The registry of mixed breeds? lol

Flibgit
Matured Bully

Postby Flibgit » Wed May 04, 2011 5:08 pm

WackyJacki wrote:
Flibgit wrote:Which registry recognizes labradoodles as a breed?

The registry of mixed breeds? lol

roflmao

I found the ALCA (Australian Labradoodle Club of America) and the ALAA (Australian Labradoodle Association of America) which registers labradoodles.

I'm going to start a club called "Rescued Pit Bull Type Dog", ya'll can be the first to register your mutts. :-P Amber gets registry number 001, though.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed May 04, 2011 5:10 pm

SnowKoi2010 wrote:Whats wrong with Labradoodle being considered a breed? You can take two Labradoodles and get the pups look the same as the parents. All of your 'pure bred' dogs now where mutts back in the day and I am pretty open to new breeds.

Actually, this is not true. When you cross two F1 "doodles" of any type, you will get some that look like the parents, but you will also get a mix that have more characteristics of one or the other parents. It takes multiple generations AFTER the F2 line to solidify the traits that characterize the F1 standard. I know there are goldendoodle breeders who are into the 4th or 5th generation and who do CERF and OFA testing. I do not know of any other mixed breed that is putting this sort of effort into the breed.

Puggles are the best example... puggles are cute, but F2 puggles are NOT, and very few look like their F1 parents. Use a punnet square for all of the traits that are VERY different between pugs and beagles, curly tail vs. straight, coat length, smooth vs. wirey, color, ear size and set, muzzle length and on and on and on. Mix and match all the traits and your F2 MUTTS will come in just about every variety of options between pug and beagle.

Flibgit
Matured Bully

Postby Flibgit » Wed May 04, 2011 5:21 pm

MissKiwi, sorry for mucking up your thread. Maybe the mods can split this in case anyone wants to continue the debate about mutts?

(Not that I think there's much to debate)

Shanda
Addicted to PBF

Postby Shanda » Wed May 04, 2011 6:03 pm

The calculator is cool! The breed list sucks! :crybaby:

Regardless, it's a good find. I wish people would look at the big picture like that. Mine was funny since I get so much vet care for free, but my classes and collar habit make up for it :tongue:

And as for calling mixes/mutts Designer or Fancy or -Poo, -Pin, -ie, or anything but a mix :yucky:

Those terms are putting $$$ in millers and BYB pockets.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Wed May 04, 2011 6:10 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:
SnowKoi2010 wrote:Whats wrong with Labradoodle being considered a breed? You can take two Labradoodles and get the pups look the same as the parents. All of your 'pure bred' dogs now where mutts back in the day and I am pretty open to new breeds.

Actually, this is not true. When you cross two F1 "doodles" of any type, you will get some that look like the parents, but you will also get a mix that have more characteristics of one or the other parents. It takes multiple generations AFTER the F2 line to solidify the traits that characterize the F1 standard. I know there are goldendoodle breeders who are into the 4th or 5th generation and who do CERF and OFA testing. I do not know of any other mixed breed that is putting this sort of effort into the breed.

Puggles are the best example... puggles are cute, but F2 puggles are NOT, and very few look like their F1 parents. Use a punnet square for all of the traits that are VERY different between pugs and beagles, curly tail vs. straight, coat length, smooth vs. wirey, color, ear size and set, muzzle length and on and on and on. Mix and match all the traits and your F2 MUTTS will come in just about every variety of options between pug and beagle.

thanks! I think you explained that much better then I was attempting too lol, I think my Brie is a pretty good example of this, she is primarily (from what I was told) Boston Terrier/French bulldog mix. She sure as hell doesnt look like most "frostons" I have seen (she apparently has pug in there somewhere but her official vet papers from the original byb says BTxFB)

Mutt is definately not a dirty word. It's a name for dogs who are not purebred. I dont care if you know the lineage, it's still a mutt. What would you call a dog who was a mix but knew the lineage of?

mutt   /mʌt/ Show Spelled
[muht] Show IPA

–noun Slang .
1. a dog, especially a mongrel.

mon·grel   /ˈmʌŋgrəl, ˈmɒŋ-/ Show Spelled
[muhng-gruhl, mong-] Show IPA

–noun
1. a dog of mixed or indeterminate breed.
2. any animal or plant resulting from the crossing of different breeds or varieties.
3. any cross between different things, especially if inharmonious or indiscriminate.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Wed May 04, 2011 9:31 pm

SnowKoi...just when I start to think you have the ability to make sense... :huh?:

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed May 04, 2011 10:29 pm

Flibgit wrote:MissKiwi, sorry for mucking up your thread. Maybe the mods can split this in case anyone wants to continue the debate about mutts?

(Not that I think there's much to debate)

Meh, this thread was purely for entertainment purposes... I don't care where it goes.

SnowKoi2010
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby SnowKoi2010 » Wed May 04, 2011 10:59 pm

I think that when you are in different places you learn things differently. What I learned and heard is probably very different from what you have learned and heard. That doesn't make either of us right or wrong. But, I do believe with the right people, eventually the designer dogs will be actual breeds. You can't say that there aren't people who don't do anything with their dogs just because they are a designer. I'm sure there is probably someone out there today who is trying to better the breed (What ever it may be). Give them a chance.

Anyways, As said the calculator was a nice find. I don't think I will be buying the book.. I am very picky about my material and it doesn't look like the sites book is something that needs to be sent out if it is that off about certain breeds

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Thu May 05, 2011 9:34 am

When will we ever get a :bangs head on wall: emoticon? Or else some cyber duct tape??

Misskiwi67 wrote:

Return to “Health Issues”