post ccl surgery exercise and rehab etc

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Mortis
Super Bully

post ccl surgery exercise and rehab etc

Postby Mortis » Wed May 04, 2011 4:22 pm

now i will admit i am useless at searching for things on here, but despite my best efforts i just cannot find a thread to walk me through what i should be doing with gunner after his ccl surgery.

when i spoke to the vet (he is having traditional repair) he said he would be able to move it to walk after a couple of days but it won't be like a regular leg for 6 months. Please bear with me...

-how much is he able to walk and how far for how long etc?
- at what point can he start playing?
- is it after 6 months i can start re-training him for jogging and biking again?
- at what point is he allowed to jump on and off things and use the stairs?
- am i allowed to carry him post surgery or do i have to sleep on the floor in the lounge for 6 months?

i am asking all of the questions now as it helps me feel less stressed if i feel more prepared. Also as what i do to one dog i have to do to both as gunner will get very stressy if he gets left out of things :(

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Re: post ccl surgery exercise and rehab etc

Postby mtlu » Fri May 06, 2011 1:57 am

Hopefully your vet will provide you with a schedule for the weeks following surgery. Molly had TPLO's for both of her knee repairs so the healing time/concerns are slightly different since bone is cut and has to heal (average of 8 weeks). I'm not really familiar with the exact procedure for the "traditional" repair so hopefully someone else who has had the traditional repair done on their dog will chime in for you.

We had to carry Molly for the first several weeks post-op because there are 15+ stairs leading down to the backyard; I also used a three-foot leash and she was not allowed to wander too much for peeing and pooping. We started really short walks (about 5 minutes, 2x/day) around week 3 and slowly increased the time/length of walks to 15-20min, 2x/day by week 8.

We did not allow jumping on or off things for at least 3 months and we also laid down non-skid liners for area rugs on the hardwood and tiled areas of the house for the first couple months – the liners help to grip the feet and prevent slipping which is one potential you want to minimize as much as possible during recovery.

In terms of running/playing/jumping, I think it's best to keep monitoring your dog's progress rather than rely on a specific timeline. Molly's recovery from her first surgery took longer than normal and her recovery from the second surgery seemed to fit more into the average timeline. At week 2 (staple removal), our vet felt like she was ahead of the curve with recovery but at week 8 (follow up x-rays), he wanted to see a bit more rebuilding of muscle mass before allowing her more freedom to run so we held off until about week 11 before letting her off leash in the backyard.

I did passive stretching (per vet's instructions) starting on day 2 with Molly, very lightly at first and then increased the amount of stretching as the weeks wore on and I also did massage.

I'm not sure how relevant these things are to recovery from the traditional repair but hopefully it gives you an idea.

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Fri May 06, 2011 10:58 am

Roscoe had the traditional surgery almost four weeks ago. Swimming is the first exercise he is supposed to have, we'll be going to a small local lake Tuesday, and he's only supposed to go for 5-10 minutes at first, and no jumping into the lake. I can also walk him around the yard for 5-10 minutes, and I think I can start walking him up and down the stairs with a leash on for exercise. Unfortunately, he managed to escape the house yesterday to go play in the yard with his tennis balls, and it was ten or fifteen minutes until I could catch him. He's tired of this resting stuff.
Didn't your vet give you a schedule? Maybe you should call them if you misplaced it.

Mortis
Super Bully

Postby Mortis » Fri May 06, 2011 11:26 am

thanks. he hasn't had the op yet it is next week. i wasn't sure if vet gave out a rehab schedule im just panicking in advance.

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Fri May 06, 2011 11:39 am

I know how you feel, I was too. I'm sure they will go over it with you.

Return to “Health Issues”