Vaccines...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Vaccines...

Postby starrlamia » Fri May 06, 2011 11:50 am

So to not hijack the other thread.
My vet called today, apparently they do yearly vaccines. I only got a message so I didnt get to ask questions.

Should I ask which vaccine they use? (1yr or 3yr?)

Grendel and George both had full vaccines last year, should I ask for titres on them before saying yes to all the vaccines? (will do rabies)

Brie had her full puppy set, should I ask for titres or go ahead and get year 1yr boosters?

anything else i should ask my vet when I call back? I want the kids to have immunity but do not want to overvaccinate!

SnowKoi2010
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: Vaccines...

Postby SnowKoi2010 » Fri May 06, 2011 11:54 am

I asked the same question about snow in the other thread and I was told since Snow has had her adult shots to ask the vet about 3 years and if he refuses, to ask why he doesn't want to do them.

Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Nichole » Fri May 06, 2011 12:03 pm

For my girls I ask for titers. The only vaccine I allow is rabies and only because it is required by law otherwise I'd ask for a titer on that one too. I personally decline the kennel cough vaccine. They can't do a titer for that one but even though my girls had the vaccine they still got it last year so I've just decided to treat it if they ever get it instead of vaccinating. Totally personal choice.

Your vet will probably push for the vaccines. Push back.

PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Postby PITtsburgher » Fri May 06, 2011 1:55 pm

I would give rabies and DHPP for Brie and they should now last for 3 years.
The other ones shouldn't need vaccines this year as long as they had them last year - they should be getting them every 3 years. However if the rabies shot they gave last year was labeled as a one-year you may need to get that done this year to stay legal.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri May 06, 2011 2:02 pm

I wouldn't even bother with titers unless you want to skip the 3 year vaccine too. Numerous studies have shown immunity exists, so why do we need to prove it for every individual dog? If your laws allow you to do titers for rabies, you can use that to do rabies every 3 years if you want, but otherwise titers are really a waste of money.

Do the rabies as required by law, lepto/lyme/bordatella yearly as required by your dogs lifestyle and region, and DHPP every 3 years.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Fri May 06, 2011 4:24 pm

thanks guys! I will take a look closely at their vet records that I have too see if they got yearly or 3 yr vaccines. I will also ask about the lepto/lyme/bordatella... Im pretty sure that it is recommended here, dogs go to the country every now and again.

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Fri May 06, 2011 4:38 pm

Nichole wrote:For my girls I ask for titers. The only vaccine I allow is rabies and only because it is required by law otherwise I'd ask for a titer on that one too. I personally decline the kennel cough vaccine. They can't do a titer for that one but even though my girls had the vaccine they still got it last year so I've just decided to treat it if they ever get it instead of vaccinating. Totally personal choice.

^ this.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Fri May 06, 2011 4:54 pm

WackyJacki wrote:
Nichole wrote:For my girls I ask for titers. The only vaccine I allow is rabies and only because it is required by law otherwise I'd ask for a titer on that one too. I personally decline the kennel cough vaccine. They can't do a titer for that one but even though my girls had the vaccine they still got it last year so I've just decided to treat it if they ever get it instead of vaccinating. Totally personal choice.

^ this.

yah im considering titres, here in ontario Rabies just has to be current, so it can be done yearly or not, I really dont like the idea of vaccinating unless it is neccessary, how much do you guys usually pay for titres to be done? I think Brie will still go ahead because she only had her puppy shots.

Also, can anyone recommend for my cat? He does go outside (not getting into that arguement please) do cats generally have immunity like dogs after vaccs? should I ask for titres?

Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Nichole » Fri May 06, 2011 5:00 pm

I just had a titer drawn on Sadie a week ago and it cost me approx $75 or $85...somewhere in that range. The cost is going to vary by vet and by location.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Fri May 06, 2011 10:32 pm

starrlamia wrote:So to not hijack the other thread.
My vet called today, apparently they do yearly vaccines. I only got a message so I didnt get to ask questions.

Grendel and George both had full vaccines last year, should I ask for titres on them before saying yes to all the vaccines? (will do rabies)

Brie had her full puppy set, should I ask for titres or go ahead and get year 1yr boosters?

anything else i should ask my vet when I call back? I want the kids to have immunity but do not want to overvaccinate!

You should bring them to the same clinic where your parents take their pets. ;)

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Sat May 07, 2011 12:08 pm

AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:
starrlamia wrote:So to not hijack the other thread.

You should bring them to the same clinic where your parents take their pets. ;)

:P
I would love too! but i dont have a car and our current vet is a 5 minute walk lol. I have a super hard time convincing my dad to let the dogs in his car haha, he is convinced they will pee on his seats... even though they are potty trained.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon May 09, 2011 12:30 pm

Shame :( I would love to meet those monsters of yours. lol

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Mon May 09, 2011 3:49 pm

lol yah it would be nice, i plan on buying a car in a couple years... lol! if you are ever in k-town let me know...

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon May 09, 2011 8:09 pm

I'll be coming there frequently soon since I'm taking Norma Jeanne's correspondence trainer course!

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Mon May 09, 2011 10:43 pm

AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:I'll be coming there frequently soon since I'm taking Norma Jeanne's correspondence trainer course!

oh cool!! Ive heard nothing but good things about her!

Return to “Health Issues”