crab grass

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
july_hymn
Matured Bully

crab grass

Postby july_hymn » Sun May 08, 2011 5:41 pm

Anybody else's dog here LOVE eating crab grass? Greta doesn't eat normal grass, just the crab grass. And I've never noticed her doing it just when she is sick or anything, but all the time. Whenever we go for a walk and there's a telephone pole or somthing that hasn't been weed whacked and there's a little patch of crab grass, she is on it like stink on sh*t. Is this weird or is my dog normal?

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Re: crab grass

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun May 08, 2011 6:52 pm

My dogs eat like cows during the springtime, and in the summer, and in the fall.

The grass gets coarse in the fall and will make them puke if I let them eat too much.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Sun May 08, 2011 9:53 pm

i have cow dogs too.

Cat24
Adolescent Bully

Postby Cat24 » Sun May 08, 2011 10:17 pm

More cow dogs here too, I have to be super careful in the summer because Xena will eat anything she picks up off the ground, don't want to miss something just thinking it's grass.

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Sun May 08, 2011 10:23 pm

Molly is also a mower – she prefers the tender new shoots and won't eat the tougher blades of grass so we've never had a grass puking incident but have had some, umm, extraction issues at the other end lol

july_hymn
Matured Bully

Postby july_hymn » Mon May 09, 2011 5:09 pm

thanks guys, glad to know mine's not the only one....

mtlu wrote:have had some, umm, extraction issues at the other end lol

bwaaahahahahaha. thanks for showing me it could be worse LOL

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon May 09, 2011 8:17 pm

Mine are HUGE salad eaters. They are thrilled with the warm weather here lately since the grass has sprouted up!

Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shoshana » Wed May 11, 2011 4:53 pm

mtlu wrote:Molly is also a mower – she prefers the tender new shoots and won't eat the tougher blades of grass so we've never had a grass puking incident but have had some, umm, extraction issues at the other end lol

Peanut word for word!

Sagebrush
Newborn Bully

Postby Sagebrush » Wed May 18, 2011 1:11 am

july_hymn wrote:Anybody else's dog here LOVE eating crab grass? Greta doesn't eat normal grass, just the crab grass.

Same here. Mine don't like the regular lawn grass, but will eat the wider, sharper-bladed grasses. They aren't in my lawn area, so I will go to a weedier patch on the fringes of my property to pick some and bring it back for the dogs! They really do seem to appreciate it....

When I was in Texas, we had some low-growing "trash" trees that grew up in the area and the dogs LOVED the leaves on these things! Like the sharp-bladed grasses, these leaves were very rough and ridged, not smooth like most leaves. I think there is something about the sharpness/roughness of these grasses and leaves that perhaps is soothing to the digestive tract or maybe serve to "scrape" something out?

Carla

LuvMyBabies
Newborn Bully

Postby LuvMyBabies » Sat May 21, 2011 6:52 pm

Same here all four of mine are like four little lawn mowers lol. One area hardly has to be cut.

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Sat May 21, 2011 7:06 pm

yes, mine are cows too, although they do not like crab grass, just regular grass. *picky* lol

Lex&Lily
Newborn Bully

Postby Lex&Lily » Sat May 21, 2011 8:14 pm

Do they tend to have bad gas every now & then? I've read they only do it to ease an upset tummy. Maybe the protein diet they are on doesn't quite agree with their system. My dogs do the same did the same until I switched proteins. I also plan on eventually feeding raw once I learn more about it.

white0nr1ce
Newborn Bully

Postby white0nr1ce » Tue May 24, 2011 12:39 pm

I don't see the problem. If you were more local I'd tell you to walk her in my yard!
roflmao

gixxerific
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby gixxerific » Sun May 29, 2011 1:52 pm

I can PM you my address to borrow your dog for a few day's. We have more than enough for her to eat. roflmao

BigBadPibbul
Bully Ambassador

Postby BigBadPibbul » Sun May 29, 2011 1:59 pm

I haven't whacked down the sprouts coming up from the roots of the two big Japanese elms in my front yard yet this summer and Stormy is obsessed with nibbling them, every time I let her out I end up having to get after her lol the neighbors must think I'm nuts standing on my porch in the middle of the night saying "Dammit don't eat THAT" in a loud harsh whisper.

Return to “Health Issues”