Sunburn?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
mcrae101
Adolescent Bully

Sunburn?

Postby mcrae101 » Thu May 12, 2011 12:10 am

Any of you have any issues with your dogs getting sun burns? I have taken my pup out the last few days to the river. Last night she starts acting like something was hurting on her belly but we couldnt see anything aside from her belly looking a little pink. After my wife did some research we used some aloevera (dont know how to spell :) ) It seemed to help out but she still acted sore. My dog never whimpers but she could barely role over without doing it last night. I was going to take her to the vet today if it kept up but she appears to be ok today although it still looks a little red. Any opinions on what if it is a sunburn and what we should do to help it as well as prevent it.

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Sunburn?

Postby Stormi » Thu May 12, 2011 1:06 am

Oh, yeah. Since Jack is all pink with relatively little fur, he sunburns very easily. During the summer months I just use children/infant hypoallergenic sunblock and try to limit the amount of time we're in direct sun during peak hours. There are special dog sunblocks available as well.

Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Re: Sunburn?

Postby Shoshana » Fri May 13, 2011 1:05 am

Peanut has gotten too much sun on her nose but it didn't actually burn. We are very careful to supervise all her sunbathing.

We don't use sunscreen because I figured she's lick it off anyway. And dogs are VERY sensitive to zinc so don't buy any sunscreen w zinc.

Was she sunbathing? Because if she was, either have her lay in the shade or don't let her sunbathe. If she wasn't I'm not sure how she burned..

Annika
Addicted to PBF

Re: Sunburn?

Postby Annika » Sat May 14, 2011 9:14 am

Piper has gotten burned on her nose (thin, white fur; pale, pink skin underneath) and it actually peeled a little bit. We either have to limit her time cooking in the sun or rub some chemical-free sunscreen on her nose (she will lick it a little at first, but won't try to get all of it off).

I had an online friend with an unaltered Weimaraner he frequently hunted with, and the dog's testicles actually got sunburned on a long sunny day once. Poor guy. The things we don't think of just because they're dogs!

Return to “Health Issues”