Luigi missed the part about pit bulls being stoic...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
leila.quinn.82
Newborn Bully

Postby leila.quinn.82 » Fri May 13, 2011 3:10 pm

We had such a scary night! I put Luigi in his crate while I was doing some major cleaning in the bed room (I may have reenforced him having fights with brooms by letting him grab our big hair salon one and dragging him around the salon floor and "sweeping with the puppy!'' when he was little :oops: ) I went down stairs to vacuum and came up to let him out maybe 30 minutes later. he came out limping and disoriented, head hanging, NOT his normal terror on crack self. He had what looked like a tiny puncture in his ankle which quickly swelled and started oozing liquid. by 3 am he was shaking and burning up, completely despondent.

I called an e vet, but the closest one isn't that close. they said to give him baby aspirin and benedryl and see if my vet could take him first thing. I was able to get his pathetic self to his vet early this morning. they barely recognised him as he is usually a pulling wiggling squeeking mess. they determined it was most likely a spider bite, or even potentially a bee sting, as i had all the windows open while cleaning. She said the fever last night and the degree of swelling most likely point to an alergic reaction, but while examining him he was SO melodramtic, hiding his eyes, colapsing on the table when she touched his foot and HOWLING directly into the vet's face :eek: . when she pulled out a treat he jumped up on ALL 4 FEET, wagged his tail and sat. When she laughed at him, he slumped back down and let out a big, sad sigh.

He got an antibiotic shot, and he will be getting benedryl and tramidol (sp?) for a few days, but his pathetic cries will also now be taken with a grain of salt. his vet thinks his symptoms were... exagerated...a bit... when he noticed how nice it is to have two people stay up all night stroking your head and draping cool wash clothes on your nose and belly, professing their love for you with tears in their eyes :oops:

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Re: Luigi missed the part about pit bulls being stoic...

Postby Ilovethepits » Fri May 13, 2011 3:44 pm

Oh poor Luigi! and you!! That sounds very dramatic. I hope whatever that injury is that it heals up nicely and completly and causes no more problems for you. Any pics of the drama king??

leila.quinn.82
Newborn Bully

Postby leila.quinn.82 » Fri May 13, 2011 4:08 pm

Unfortunately I was too distressed to take pictures... he's doing better but still soaking up every bit of extra attention lol

leila.quinn.82
Newborn Bully

Postby leila.quinn.82 » Fri May 13, 2011 4:21 pm

these are from last week, but the sad sack expression is about the same...

nsbullylover
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby nsbullylover » Fri May 13, 2011 4:27 pm

My friend had a Rottweiler like that. He hurt his leg and was pretty dramatic about it, and figured out if he limped he'd get major sympathy. To this day whenever he gets scolded or in any type of trouble he'll instantly start limping.

chako
Bully Ambassador

Postby chako » Fri May 13, 2011 6:48 pm

LOL You just made me laugh out loud with the image of him jumping on all fours for a treat and then going back to being pathetic. I had a dog that got an illness that required a regiment of antibiotics. I first noticed it because he wouldn't eat his breakfast, and the dog never met an edible anything he wouldn't devour. So I took him to the vet right away.

he was really lethargic. Had to be helped onto the couch. I kept putting chicken broth (low sodium) in his food to entice him to eat. After the antibiotics were all over with, his symptoms hadn't improved. He still was reluctant to eat and still couldn't get on the couch without assistance. I called the vet, and she said, "Um...he should be all better by now." Not, "bring him in for a look..."

So I eyeballed him suspiciously as he looked forlorn and pathetic on the couch. Next morning, I put his kibble in his bown with NO chicken broth. He looked woefully up at me with this "oh I just can't bear a morsel of food right now I feel so bad..." and I turned around and walked away, leaving his food and bowl as is.

He sighed and dove right in, devouring his food as normal, then, when he finished, trotted into the living room and jumped onto the couch. He new the jig was up :)

leila.quinn.82
Newborn Bully

Postby leila.quinn.82 » Fri May 13, 2011 11:12 pm

This morning I made him POACHED EGGS AND GRITTS from scratch,with BUTTER! he averted his eyes and moaned... I sat with him and tried to coax him to eat... he took a bite, a labored breath, and turned away. I went to pee, came back and it was all gone, he was on his back on the couch looking like he was on death's door. He wouldn't drink or eat ice cubes... unless I chewed the ice and slowly spit it in his mouth. This is a habit I have been scolded for since we got him, "why would you need a command for 'Eat ice chips out of my open mouth!' when he has no reliable recall? last night i tearfully told my husband 'THIS is why!!!!' So i am a professional sucker, i guess lol

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sat May 14, 2011 12:55 pm

roflmao

Return to “Health Issues”