Cow hooves for dogs

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
gixxerific
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Cow hooves for dogs

Postby gixxerific » Sun May 15, 2011 4:11 pm

My Lucy loves loves the cow hooves from Petsmart. While hanging on this forum I have been reading about the raw feeding though I am a bit scared to start since I don't know enough and am afraid I might hurt my dog rather than help her.

But in reading this I hear that weight supporting bones are not the "BEST" for dogs teeth. Though it seems to me that the hooves are softer, just looking for a second opinion. Like I said she loves them I had to pull the last little bit of the last one out of her mouth last night since it was getting small enough I was afraid she might swallow it. Let's just say she was not happy. :po: :crybaby: I just gave her a new one than thought about the bone ordeal. So I thought I would ask. I only want the best for her.

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Re: Cow hooves for dogs

Postby Libby » Sun May 15, 2011 4:21 pm

My dogs love the hooves too. They seem soft to me, at least they get gummy when the dogs chew them. My only issue with hooves is that they reek, and they make nasty messes on the carpet/dog bed/where ever they happen to be chewing them. And that Gypsy will attempt to swallow anything that fits easily into her mouth.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sun May 15, 2011 5:50 pm

Use with careful supervision!

when I first adopted Buddy I took one to the kennel where I was boarding her and asked, since she couldn't go out for playtime, whether they would do a "sit and snuggle" instead (which I paid for). I asked them if they would supervise her with her hoof during this time, they readily agreed.

Hindsight being 20/20, I wouldn't do this again but since I boarded my guys here regularly and knew they were really dog-savvy people, I thought it would be okay.

Three days after bringing her home, Buddy started vomiting up HUGE sharp chunks of hoof! Thankfully she was okay but I was lucky I didn't end up with a perforated stomach.

Also, Libby is quite right. They smell horrible.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Mon May 16, 2011 10:08 am

I don't think they are a safe chew, and won't give them to my dogs. I do give weight bearing bones. They might not be the best for the dogs' teeth, but they are otherwise reasonably safe. The hooves can break off in sharp shards, as has been mentioned, and they also develop sharp edges when chewed on.

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Mon May 16, 2011 10:23 am

Ditto on the horrible smell. I bought a bag because Roscoe chews up kongs, but we only gave them a couple because we couldn't stand the smell.
I recommend galileo bones or another thing you might consider are antlers.

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Mon May 16, 2011 10:23 am

I don't give hooves or weight bearing bones, haha. Both are too dangerous for my taste. The bones because of the tooth issue, and the hooves because they can and do break off into horrible sharp pieces.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon May 16, 2011 12:21 pm

Every now and then Lena will swallow and then puke up a small piece of cow hoof. They're still her favorite, so I let her have them. I take them away when they are half gone to prevent her from swallowing the last half whole.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Mon May 16, 2011 12:36 pm

Savage Destiny wrote:I don't give hooves or weight bearing bones, haha. Both are too dangerous for my taste. The bones because of the tooth issue, and the hooves because they can and do break off into horrible sharp pieces.

Bones are the only chew I can safely give Tess. Anything that can break into pieces, she will, and will swallow. (she swallows bits of bone, too, but they aren't sharp) Most of those things don't last any time at all, either, she'll break up and eat an antler in 15 minutes or less. None of my dogs have any interest in any of the Nylabone things (ie; Galileo bone), so those are of no use to us.

So, they get bones. When I can get them, they get bison bones, which are harder than beef. Tooth wear is easier to deal with than obstructions or lacerated organs. They are the most natural chew for dogs, and while I'm not opposed to newer, better options, there isn't one yet that works for us. Basically, anything that can't damage teeth can too easily be destroyed by a power chewer.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Mon May 16, 2011 1:29 pm

i give hooves to my guys and never had any issues, i just take them away when they are small. They do smell pretty awful lol

PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Postby PITtsburgher » Mon May 16, 2011 10:06 pm

The vet at school that specializes in endoscopy said do NOT give them cow hooves and that they are a common cause of blockage. Since she pulls foreign bodies out of stomachs all day I listened to her :D

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Tue May 17, 2011 1:51 am

Sarah wrote:
Savage Destiny wrote:I don't give hooves or weight bearing bones, haha. Both are too dangerous for my taste. The bones because of the tooth issue, and the hooves because they can and do break off into horrible sharp pieces.

Bones are the only chew I can safely give Tess. Anything that can break into pieces, she will, and will swallow. (she swallows bits of bone, too, but they aren't sharp) Most of those things don't last any time at all, either, she'll break up and eat an antler in 15 minutes or less. None of my dogs have any interest in any of the Nylabone things (ie; Galileo bone), so those are of no use to us.

So, they get bones. When I can get them, they get bison bones, which are harder than beef. Tooth wear is easier to deal with than obstructions or lacerated organs. They are the most natural chew for dogs, and while I'm not opposed to newer, better options, there isn't one yet that works for us. Basically, anything that can't damage teeth can too easily be destroyed by a power chewer.

Oh, I'm all for bones, just not weight bearers. Tooth wear is one thing, cracked or broken teeth is another, and that's exactly what weight bearing bones can cause. My dogs don't get much in the way of chews anymore. Like yours, they won't chew nylabones. Bully sticks are gone in 10 minutes or less, Riddle has no interest in antlers, although Melon will chew an antler. I used to give knuckle bones, but Riddle got expert at gnawing off huge hunks and swallowing them, so no more of those either. The only bones they get now are in the form of chicken/duck/sardine/rabbit/etc. body parts that they get for their diet.

I'd rather have my dogs not get recreational chews than break off teeth or get a blockage.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue May 17, 2011 2:46 am

PITtsburgher wrote:The vet at school that specializes in endoscopy said do NOT give them cow hooves and that they are a common cause of blockage. Since she pulls foreign bodies out of stomachs all day I listened to her :D

I can't think of a single object that HASN'T been found in a dogs stomach sometime, somewhere... so I quit using that method. I go with what works for my dogs...

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Tue May 17, 2011 9:24 am

Savage Destiny wrote:Oh, I'm all for bones, just not weight bearers. Tooth wear is one thing, cracked or broken teeth is another, and that's exactly what weight bearing bones can cause. My dogs don't get much in the way of chews anymore. Like yours, they won't chew nylabones. Bully sticks are gone in 10 minutes or less, Riddle has no interest in antlers, although Melon will chew an antler. I used to give knuckle bones, but Riddle got expert at gnawing off huge hunks and swallowing them, so no more of those either. The only bones they get now are in the form of chicken/duck/sardine/rabbit/etc. body parts that they get for their diet.

I'd rather have my dogs not get recreational chews than break off teeth or get a blockage.

Well, great, if your dogs are mellow enough that works for you. My dogs do need something to occupy them. Bully sticks aren't safe, Tess chews off just enough that she can swallow the remainder, then she stares at the other dogs, hoping to do the same to theirs. Knuckle bones they eat, which is too hard on their digestion. Pieces of cow or bison femur are the safest available chew for them, and as I said, are the most natural option.

My dogs have never broken a tooth on a bone. Tess does have a flake off the front of one tooth, likely from a bone. Tully has severe tooth damage, worn down, and her canines are all broken or cracked. Not from bones, from tennis balls. The broken canines were weakened from the tennis balls, and I think probably snapped off when she was eating a tuna can. (I'm trying to wean the dogs off of tennis balls now)

However, if they did break a tooth on a bone, it's easy enough dealt with. If it's not into the pulp- watch it. If it is in the pulp and painful- pull it. No big deal. Cosmetic, nothing more. I compare that to blockages or other potential injury from chewing on/swallowing sticks, rocks, hairbrushes, cell phones, books, electrical cords, etc....
I'll take the possible broken tooth, thank you.

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Tue May 17, 2011 12:37 pm

Haha, mellow? Riddle is mellow, Melon is... not. You can come over and borrow Mr. Crazy Eyeballs if you don't believe me. lol He doesn't need chews to keep him happy though- he gets exercise and training daily to keep his mind and body stimulated. Puzzle toys and free shaping are popular pastimes here.

But, my dogs are also expected to be in down stays when we're home, so I can supervise them. They can't eat things and get blockages when they're lying next to me.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Tue May 17, 2011 5:08 pm

Savage Destiny wrote:Haha, mellow? Riddle is mellow, Melon is... not. You can come over and borrow Mr. Crazy Eyeballs if you don't believe me. lol He doesn't need chews to keep him happy though- he gets exercise and training daily to keep his mind and body stimulated. Puzzle toys and free shaping are popular pastimes here.

But, my dogs are also expected to be in down stays when we're home, so I can supervise them. They can't eat things and get blockages when they're lying next to me.

Good lord, my dogs would go into a complete mental explosion if they were expected to stay in a down for hours on end. lol Anyway, I do like to let them have their freedom to just be dogs, never was into the really controlling style of dog training. To each their own.

Return to “Health Issues”