Alternatives to Metacam?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
nsbullylover
Bully Lover 4 Life

Alternatives to Metacam?

Postby nsbullylover » Mon May 16, 2011 2:30 pm

I'm posting for a friend who is trying to find information about alternatives to Metacam for her dog.

She has a 5 year old lab mix with both hip and elbow displaysia. When she was originally diagnosed 4 years ago the vet prescribed metacam and joint supplements. Within 6 months she had to stop taking the metacam as bloodwork showed elevated liver values. Since then she has been taking glucosamine, msm, chondroiton, an herbal supplement for mobility that includes elk antler velvet, and fish oil capsules. She's also had regular hydrotherapy treatments, and on bad days she has metacam as well (just not on a regular basis). Up until now that seems to have been working, but within the last week she is showing signs that her pain/discomfort is increasing. A vet appointment has been made, but her owner is trying to find info about other pain relief/anti-inflammatory options before the appointment. Not sure if it matters, but the dog is approximately 100 pounds (not overweight, just a very large dog).

Does anyone here have any ideas or suggestions for other options she could look in to? Or is metacam all that is really available in this type of situation?

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Re: Alternatives to Metacam?

Postby pblove » Mon May 16, 2011 3:39 pm

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Mon May 16, 2011 4:57 pm

There's other nsaids out there, and you can combine them with tramadol, a pain reliever that is safe to use with nsaids. I used Derramax with my late boxer. Personally I would stay away from Rimydyl for long term use.

nsbullylover
Bully Lover 4 Life

Alternatives to Metacam?

Postby nsbullylover » Mon May 16, 2011 6:23 pm

Thanks guys, I will pass this info along to her.

Have any of you ever heard of something called arnica being used for pain in dogs?

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Mon May 16, 2011 7:38 pm

nsbullylover wrote:Thanks guys, I will pass this info along to her.

Have any of you ever heard of something called arnica being used for pain in dogs?

yes with great success for dogs and peopel. that is why I referrred that link aobve, there is arnicxa in that.
I carry it inb my purse and dog training gear/ bag at all times.

nsbullylover
Bully Lover 4 Life

Alternatives to Metacam?

Postby nsbullylover » Mon May 16, 2011 8:16 pm

pblove wrote:
nsbullylover wrote:Thanks guys, I will pass this info along to her.

yes with great success for dogs and peopel. that is why I referrred that link aobve, there is arnicxa in that.
I carry it inb my purse and dog training gear/ bag at all times.

I didn't notice it was an ingredient in that product, thank you for pointing that out.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon May 16, 2011 9:20 pm

Arnica didn't work at all for Buddy.

Your friend could use Tramadol. This is the drug we turn to most often for painful dogs with other issues going on. Works wonderfully, few reported side effects in my experience, fairly inexpensive and, since it's a narcotic, it takes effect fairly quickly.

PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Postby PITtsburgher » Mon May 16, 2011 10:03 pm

another vote for tramadol.

nsbullylover
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby nsbullylover » Tue May 17, 2011 9:09 am

Thanks for all the info, she's going to discuss the suggestions made here with her vet at their appointment this week.

nsbullylover
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby nsbullylover » Fri May 20, 2011 12:30 pm

nsbullylover wrote:Thanks for all the info, she's going to discuss the suggestions made here with her vet at their appointment this week.

So my friend just got out of the vet appointment, and apparently her vet told her that she won't prescribe or recommend anything other than metacam.

Needless to say, she's now looking for another vet. :po:

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Fri May 20, 2011 1:58 pm

did they say why?

Timas Mom
Matured Bully

Postby Timas Mom » Fri May 20, 2011 2:04 pm

http://www.hiltonherbsusa.com/products/ ... eteran/376

Herbal remedy for joint issues.

The also have one with MSM ect in it.
My female frenchie has IBD and degenerative disk disease and is allergic to all things fish. This really limits what she can take.
She get regular acupuncture, borage oil, and the above supplement. She also gets treats with antler velvet as well.

nsbullylover
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby nsbullylover » Fri May 20, 2011 2:23 pm

AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:did they say why?

She said it's the only pain reliever that works for pain and discomfort from hip displaysia.

SquirrelDog6
Newborn Bully

Postby SquirrelDog6 » Sun May 22, 2011 11:26 pm

I prefer tramadol, or Duramaxx. I used Medicam with one of my dogs with no problem. When I used it for the other it was the worst case of bloody diarrhea ever. There are tons of pain meds out there and as the owner, you have the right to options. Don't let a vet tell you what you have to use. When my dog had her stroke, one vet wanted her on some pain meds, and i knew her stomach was bad. Anything more then a baby aspirin rips her up. I talked to her neurologist, and we were able to pull here back to health on a very low dose steroid. Look around for options you can live with. A vet should offer more then one choice. Non medication options should also be explored. Laser light therapy gave my baby the use of her limbs back. The weekend before Thanksgiving of 2010, my dog could not move her back legs at all, she had a spinal stroke. With the help of laser light therapy, by Christmas, she was using one of her back legs to prop herself up. We brought her out on a sling to go potty. By mid January, she was escaping the sling. In February, I was walking my dog. She still has a bit of a strokey walk, and her patella may have to be repaired, as it was an issue before the stroke (we thought we were going to lose her, or need a wheelchair, so it was a null issue for a while), but today, and everyday for nearly two months, my tiny, six pound Chihuahua, has walked for one hour, or more, with my larger dogs. Always look for other options, if you feel uncomfortable with a drug!

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon May 23, 2011 3:56 pm

nsbullylover wrote:
AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:did they say why?

She said it's the only pain reliever that works for pain and discomfort from hip displaysia.

I would advise your friend to get a second opinion.

Return to “Health Issues”