Alternatives to Metacam?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
nsbullylover
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: Alternatives to Metacam?

Postby nsbullylover » Tue May 24, 2011 7:19 am

AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:
nsbullylover wrote:
AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:did they say why?

She said it's the only pain reliever that works for pain and discomfort from hip displaysia.

I would advise your friend to get a second opinion.

She is. When the vet prescribed metacam, she said that she wanted to look at other options as she didn't feel metacam was right for her dog, and that she had been researching some other pain meds. The vet told her metacam was the only thing that would work, and my friend took her dog and left. She's looking for another vet now.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed May 25, 2011 2:31 pm

There ar SEVEN approved non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications. There is absolutely no reason to say metacam is the ONLY one that will work.

We carry 4 of them at my clinic, because one is not always the best choice. I try to avoid Deramaxx because I have seen a bad reaction to it, it was probably a fluke, but it was a serious one. I like Rimadyl when costs are an issue, or when its a short-term problem, metacam for the small dogs for exact dosing, and Previcoxx for the senior dogs with serious arthritis. If one isn't adequate, we can always try something else.

nsbullylover
Bully Lover 4 Life

Alternatives to Metacam?

Postby nsbullylover » Wed May 25, 2011 2:51 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:There ar SEVEN approved non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications. There is absolutely no reason to say metacam is the ONLY one that will work.

We carry 4 of them at my clinic, because one is not always the best choice. I try to avoid Deramaxx because I have seen a bad reaction to it, it was probably a fluke, but it was a serious one. I like Rimadyl when costs are an issue, or when its a short-term problem, metacam for the small dogs for exact dosing, and Previcoxx for the senior dogs with serious arthritis. If one isn't adequate, we can always try something else.

Are any of them better than the other for large breed dogs? And if her dog's liver values were elevated on metacam, would the other NSAIDS cause the same issue?

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed May 25, 2011 5:00 pm

nsbullylover wrote:Are any of them better than the other for large breed dogs? And if her dog's liver values were elevated on metacam, would the other NSAIDS cause the same issue?

Unfortunately, you really don't know until you try. Just like some people prefer Aleve over Ibuprofen... its all about individual differences.

Return to “Health Issues”