Spondylosis (spinal osteoarthritis)

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
ewwies
Addicted to PBF

Re: Spondylosis (spinal osteoarthritis)

Postby ewwies » Tue May 17, 2011 5:14 pm

Glad to hear Lucy is doing alot better!!! That is quite a scare!

Here is a a video I took on the 8th.. I tried to get him to stand still while we were on a walk.. you can get idea of what his legs have been doing. sometimes its worse, sometimes its only one leg, other times both.

Here is one from today when I came home to take him out for potty. I had given him half a rimadyl this morning with his meal.

Im not the best video taker. lol

I tried to get one of him walking... other than the shaking in his legs when standing he seems normal.

Once the weather gets warmer, Ill start taking him places to swim.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Tue May 17, 2011 5:50 pm

I can see why the shaking would concern you, but if anything, I think more muscle in his rear would help him.

My Elmo had really severe arthritis in his lower spine. Chiropractic helped him a lot in his younger days (6-10 years). He continued competing in agility until he was well over 10 years. I did some recheck X-rays to see how the arthritis was progressing when he was 10, and the radiologist who reviewed the X-rays told the vets that if surgery was being considered, we should do an MRI first. The vet told me that, I said "I'm still running him in agility!", and she told me they don't move on their X-rays.

It really only bothered him as he got elderly. I think when I stopped training and competing with him, he deteriorated a lot faster, but I had to, he was ready to quit. Do wish I'd tried harder to keep him more active, though. He did continue going on hour-long walks with the rest of us until he was 13.

ewwies
Addicted to PBF

Postby ewwies » Tue May 17, 2011 6:06 pm

yeah, only because it came on kind of suddenly.. but i agree.. i think he needs more exercise/build more muscle. I'm going to work him back up to long walks, hiking, beach and lake trips.. i think he'll be just fine.

Cant help but be a worried mom. :tongue:

Sounds like it didn't slow Elmo down one bit. RIP sweet boy.

DogNerd
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby DogNerd » Wed May 18, 2011 7:42 pm

My dog Turtle was diagnosed at about 2 or 3 years old. She already had some fusion at that point. She's 11 now and the lower half of her back is completely fused together and encased in bone. There is another name for what she has now or for what has happened. Even worse, she lost a front leg last year. She's a trooper though. She went on regular daily hikes until she lost the leg and still goes for easy walks now but has been struggling more lately. She had a pretty great quality of life up until the leg loss though and she was lucky in that there didn't seem to be a lot of nerve involvement and therefore pain as her spine fused.

Timas Mom
Matured Bully

Postby Timas Mom » Fri May 20, 2011 2:10 pm

http://www.hiltonherbsusa.com/products/ ... eteran/376

My female frenchie has degenerative disk disease.
Acupuncture, the above herbal remedy, borage oil and raw food. She has allergies to all things fish so unfortunately Sashas Blend is out.
I highly suggest you look into Sashas Blend. My Fav supplement for joint, arthritis ect issues.
http://www.sashasusa.com/

Return to “Health Issues”