Nutritional value/safey of cheaper cuts of meat ?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
white0nr1ce
Newborn Bully

Nutritional value/safey of cheaper cuts of meat ?

Postby white0nr1ce » Wed May 18, 2011 2:15 pm

After finding my "bulk sources" for chicken backs, leg quarters, turkey necks, drumsticks, neckbones, and tripe I went exploring yesterday. :)

My goal is less than $1.50 a pound, but my bulk items are all less than a dollar, so as long as it's ballpark (or sometimes a special meal) I'm good with it. :)

I do have some questions as to what is good to feed and what is not when it comes to these cheap cuts of meat... actually, some of them I wonder what they even are! If anyone knowledgable could answer my questions or give thumbs up on the really really good items or a reason to cross any of these off the list, please do!

At my international grocey store I found :
pork hocks - 1.59/lb, pork maws - 1.99/lb, kidney - 1.99/lb, & tongue for 2.69/lb... also, blood and brains :) I am sort of wondering if hocks and maws are okay... also, anyone give blood or brains?? I've heard of people giving their dogs the juices that seep from the meat for the nutrition... would a tub of pork blood be of any use though?

beef omasum (wtf is that?!?), pizzles - 2.99/lb (is my first guess it on what a "pizzle" is?), bung 1.99/lb (another wtf?!), sweetbreads for 3.99/lb (?), tendon (Apollo loves these dried, are they recreational or good as a meal fresh?), intestines, also blood and bile. Is the bile the same as tripe? or just the ... bile out of the cleaned tripe? Good? Bad? Ugly?

ox feet - 1.99/lb (recreational? too hard?)

chicken gizzards & hearts 1.29/lb (can anyone give me a good breakdown of what's muscle and what's organ, and any guidelines for feeding muscle meat that seems like organ meat?)

Also, most fish was more than I was hoping for, but they did have a tone of salmon bones (still very fleshy actually) and heads for .99c a pound... since my dogs wouldn't be able to eat a whole salmon in a day with the amount they should eat healthly, would salmon heads & "bones" work better than canned or filets for a meal a week of fish?

Other fish they had for under 2.50/lb were galungoong, mackerel, whiting, and tilapia. Which of these are the best (oiliest? safest?) nutritionally?

My asian market also had pig's ears for 2.50/lb and uteri for 2.99/lb (wha???) and a larger variety of fish: scad, walking fish, goby, and milkfish. Any of those good choices?

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Re: Nutritional value/safey of cheaper cuts of meat ?

Postby starrlamia » Wed May 18, 2011 4:27 pm

Im quoting below within. But for starters, dogs dont exactly care about what part of an animal they are eating. Wild canids for example, may or may not have preferences (my bully hates organ meat's texture for example) but if they are hungry they will eat just about any meat, it's a different ballpark from people :)

white0nr1ce wrote:After finding my "bulk sources" for chicken backs, leg quarters, turkey necks, drumsticks, neckbones, and tripe I went exploring yesterday. :)

My goal is less than $1.50 a pound, but my bulk items are all less than a dollar, so as long as it's ballpark (or sometimes a special meal) I'm good with it. :)

I do have some questions as to what is good to feed and what is not when it comes to these cheap cuts of meat... actually, some of them I wonder what they even are! If anyone knowledgable could answer my questions or give thumbs up on the really really good items or a reason to cross any of these off the list, please do!

At my international grocey store I found :
pork hocks - 1.59/lb, pork maws - 1.99/lb, kidney - 1.99/lb, & tongue for 2.69/lb... also, blood and brains :) I am sort of wondering if hocks and maws are okay... also, anyone give blood or brains?? I've heard of people giving their dogs the juices that seep from the meat for the nutrition... would a tub of pork blood be of any use though?

Hocks are awesome! i feed them quite a bit! All of the other cuts are fine, i dont think it is neccessary to feed blood though I am sure it is full of nutrients. Kidney is good for their organ meat and tongue is an awesome muscle meat to feed! It is kind of weird portioning it though lol

beef omasum (wtf is that?!?), pizzles - 2.99/lb (is my first guess it on what a "pizzle" is?), bung 1.99/lb (another wtf?!), sweetbreads for 3.99/lb (?), tendon (Apollo loves these dried, are they recreational or good as a meal fresh?), intestines, also blood and bile. Is the bile the same as tripe? or just the ... bile out of the cleaned tripe? Good? Bad? Ugly?

omasum is an organ it looks like. Never heard of it before!! pizzle is penis :P and is it dried? Dried pizzle is also known as bully sticks and is more of a recreational chew then a food source, if it is raw and not dried im sure it would be great! Bung is used for sausages, i think it is the intestinal casing? tendon fresh would be fine as a meal. Bile is usually a liquid, i dont think it would be beneficial to feed unless they mean tripe.

no idea! is it the hooves or the meaty part of the foot? hooves are fine recreational bones as long as you supervise.

chicken gizzards & hearts 1.29/lb (can anyone give me a good breakdown of what's muscle and what's organ, and any guidelines for feeding muscle meat that seems like organ meat?)

Gizzard and heart are both muscles. Organs would be things like: liver, kidney and spleen (most common). Feed muscle meat like gizzard, heart and tongue as you would feed any other muscle meat :)

Also, most fish was more than I was hoping for, but they did have a tone of salmon bones (still very fleshy actually) and heads for .99c a pound... since my dogs wouldn't be able to eat a whole salmon in a day with the amount they should eat healthly, would salmon heads & "bones" work better than canned or filets for a meal a week of fish?

um, i would be wary of overfeeding bone, while fish bones are soft enough for them to eat it could cause constipation, i would maybe feed the bones as a small part of a meal or feed as a meal followed by a few meat only meals.

Other fish they had for under 2.50/lb were galungoong, mackerel, whiting, and tilapia. Which of these are the best (oiliest? safest?) nutritionally?

unsure, i dont get fish because it is expensive here

My asian market also had pig's ears for 2.50/lb and uteri for 2.99/lb (wha???) and a larger variety of fish: scad, walking fish, goby, and milkfish. Any of those good choices?

uterus is an organ but a very muscular one, id have to see one to assess it really. Pig ears are good recreational chews, they dont really have much meat on them

PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Postby PITtsburgher » Wed May 18, 2011 6:34 pm

omasum is the 3rd stomach chamber in a cow. That's all I got :D

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed May 18, 2011 8:32 pm

PITtsburgher wrote:omasum is the 3rd stomach chamber in a cow. That's all I got :D

I was going to say essentially the same thing :D

buckaroo
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby buckaroo » Thu May 19, 2011 4:27 am

I would not feed brains, especially beef.

Mya&theSiebenDackels
Addicted to PBF

Postby Mya&theSiebenDackels » Thu May 19, 2011 12:37 pm

If you are just starting out feeding your dog raw, start with chicken first and do that for a little while so that they get used to one meat source. You start with Pork or start mixing it in too soon and you are going to have a dog with watery diarrhea. Also start out slowly on the organ meat. I am sure you already know this but just telling you in case you do not since diarrhea is not very fun. :)

white0nr1ce
Newborn Bully

Postby white0nr1ce » Thu May 19, 2011 2:43 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:
PITtsburgher wrote:omasum is the 3rd stomach chamber in a cow. That's all I got :D

I was going to say essentially the same thing :D

So I'll hold off on that one, haha. I believe the omasum looked really clean for what you all are describing it as... it's probably lost nutrients sort of how grocery store tripe does when it's cleaned. Do you all know what sweet breads are, or if intestines are good to feed?

white0nr1ce
Newborn Bully

Postby white0nr1ce » Thu May 19, 2011 3:23 pm

starrlamia wrote:Im quoting below within. But for starters, dogs dont exactly care about what part of an animal they are eating. Wild canids for example, may or may not have preferences (my bully hates organ meat's texture for example) but if they are hungry they will eat just about any meat, it's a different ballpark from people :)

omasum is an organ it looks like. Never heard of it before!! pizzle is penis :P and is it dried? Dried pizzle is also known as bully sticks and is more of a recreational chew then a food source, if it is raw and not dried im sure it would be great! Bung is used for sausages, i think it is the intestinal casing? tendon fresh would be fine as a meal. Bile is usually a liquid, i dont think it would be beneficial to feed unless they mean tripe.

I had a feeling about the pizzles lol and they were raw. He has also had bully sticks... they're like puppy addictive somehow, wonder if he'll like them as much raw. The bung sounds like a no... and the bile was liquid - ish but also chunk - ish and yeah. Wasn't sure if it'd be similar to the tripe, I can just wait and order from my blue ridge supplier to be sure I have the right stuff.

no idea! is it the hooves or the meaty part of the foot? hooves are fine recreational bones as long as you supervise.

I want to say it seemed ankle-area ish down to the hoof so a little of both. I will double check before I depend on it as a meal.

Thanks a lot for your descriptive answers, I am really getting my details down so they are very helpful. I bought some salmon oil and vitamin e from trader joe's today, going to read up and try to figure out dosages tonight & after grovery shopping and stocking up on canned pumpkin I will be well prepared! I get my cases of chicken this weekend, and I am trying to find pork on sale so by the time I can introduce a new protein, it's been frozen for the three week period some of you go by... I feel better safe than sorry. :)

turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby turtle » Fri May 20, 2011 9:37 pm

white0nr1ce wrote: they did have a ton of salmon bones (still very fleshy actually) and heads for .99c a pound... since my dogs wouldn't be able to eat a whole salmon in a day with the amount they should eat healthly, would salmon heads & "bones" work better than canned or filets for a meal a week of fish?

I would not feed raw salmon to dogs at all. Raw salmon can have a parasite that is dangerous to dogs --

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/cliented/salmon.aspx

http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/must_co ... r_dogs.htm

There is a lot of info on line about this, just look on google.

It does look like you can freeze the raw salmon for a time and that will kill the parasite. Or cook it. I often feed cooked salmon when I have it, I get the canned salmon with the bones that was pressure cooked.

white0nr1ce
Newborn Bully

Postby white0nr1ce » Sat May 21, 2011 7:38 am

turtle wrote:
white0nr1ce wrote: they did have a ton of salmon bones (still very fleshy actually) and heads for .99c a pound... since my dogs wouldn't be able to eat a whole salmon in a day with the amount they should eat healthly, would salmon heads & "bones" work better than canned or filets for a meal a week of fish?

I would not feed raw salmon to dogs at all. Raw salmon can have a parasite that is dangerous to dogs --

It does look like you can freeze the raw salmon for a time and that will kill the parasite. Or cook it. I often feed cooked salmon when I have it, I get the canned salmon with the bones that was pressure cooked.

I intended on freezing it for at least a month before introducing it... is that all salmon or only pacific?

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sat May 21, 2011 11:50 pm

turtle wrote:

Salmon is only an issue depending on where it was caught....I don't have my info with me right now or I could say which was risky and which was safe....I'm sure someone will chime in.

I also agree with Mya & the...I would really watch variety. I have been feeding my dog raw for months and he does not even have that much variety(mostly because of digestive issues)

white0nr1ce
Newborn Bully

Postby white0nr1ce » Mon May 23, 2011 8:40 am

Salmon is only an issue depending on where it was caught....I don't have my info with me right now or I could say which was risky and which was safe....I'm sure someone will chime in.

I also agree with Mya & the...I would really watch variety. I have been feeding my dog raw for months and he does not even have that much variety(mostly because of digestive issues)

I have been researching and I started last night... I was just checking sources to see if I could maintain my price point farther down the line. I do not intend on leaving salmon or pork out completely as some do, but I do intend on freezing them for quite some time (at least a month) and monitoring the dogs once they get that point. I am starting slow, with chicken and will work in other proteins when they get the hang of it and are digestively sound. I was asking because I am starting to stock up and if I can find the stuff cheap now, by the time it is ready hopefully they will be ready for said protein. If not, IMO longer in the deep freeze will not hurt.

Would anyone be interested in me starting a thread about specifics of them starting raw, and whatever issues I may encounter? (Or continuing on this one) I have done a lot of research and some of the ?'s I've been asking recently I've been hesitant to ask in case it was something I skimmed over on the BARF 101 thread, hah. Anyone thought of making barf 201 thread for those who have made it to the bitter end of the first one!?

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Mon May 23, 2011 9:30 am

There is no problem with pork and you don't have to worry about freezing it at all or for extended periods. The only thing you need to worry about is the salmon (believe it is pacific...I'll look today if I get a second) and wild caught game needs to be frozen. Like if you know a hunter that gives you meat, etc.

Yeah keeping things in the freezer won't hurt it. I've had some stuff in mine for a while and will probably be there for quite a bit longer. Khan has had digestive issues on and off....although that seems to be behind us now. But I have been pretty stable feeding just turkey and pork for a while and only recently started adding organ back in....and this tine I used pork organs as beef was causing WAY too much problems.

white0nr1ce
Newborn Bully

Postby white0nr1ce » Mon May 23, 2011 9:35 am

FBODGRL wrote:There is no problem with pork and you don't have to worry about freezing it at all or for extended periods. The only thing you need to worry about is the salmon (believe it is pacific...I'll look today if I get a second) and wild caught game needs to be frozen. Like if you know a hunter that gives you meat, etc.

Yeah keeping things in the freezer won't hurt it. I've had some stuff in mine for a while and will probably be there for quite a bit longer. Khan has had digestive issues on and off....although that seems to be behind us now. But I have been pretty stable feeding just turkey and pork for a while and only recently started adding organ back in....and this tine I used pork organs as beef was causing WAY too much problems.

Would it be safe to say when I begin adding organ, to stick to those from proteins they are already doing okay on? Then when I add pork, add pork organ if they do okay on that, then beef organ once they are introduced to that?

I believe I read that pacific salmon was the dangerous one as well, and I've head people say they freeze it from anywhere to two weeks of a year, but some link someone posted to the "official" something or other made me come to the "safe bet" conclusion of a month.

With some of the prices of fish, I've thought about just feeding canned, but the salt content of those items scares me, even though I have no real idea of what is too much for a dog. :/

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Mon May 23, 2011 1:59 pm

I've heard mixed things as far as feeding organ from the same protein some say yes and some say it doesn't matter.

Khan had serious digestive issues with beef kidney. I'm not sure at this point if it was because it was beef or because it was kidney. I have been slowly adding organ (very small amounts for a month or more now) and he seems to be doing ok with the pork :dunno:

I don't feed fish at all at this point. I can't find it reasonable anywhere. I had feed some frozen stuff and then I found out it was from China...so I stopped that.

Return to “Health Issues”