What is this and what can I do? *gross pictures*

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

What is this and what can I do? *gross pictures*

Postby MissKitty » Tue May 24, 2011 12:32 am

Apollo went running through the hayfield on Saturday, having a good ol' time. He can back a little scratched up and red, but nothing that I worried about.
Yesterday under his chest and the inside of his legs were really red so I put a little Aloe Vera on it, in hopes that it would sooth it.
This morning, I woke up and he looks like this-
DSCN8336 by FoundinShadow, on Flickr

DSCN8327 by FoundinShadow, on Flickr

RSCN8330 by FoundinShadow, on Flickr

DSCN8332 by FoundinShadow, on Flickr

It is FAR more red, the flash washed it out. And he is covered (legs and tummy) in 'zits'.

He doesn't seem uncomfortable, but he is tough and has never shown when he is hurting. What can I do to help it heal? Is a vet trip in order? What is it?

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Re: What is this and what can I do? *gross pictures*

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Tue May 24, 2011 12:48 am

I have no idea, sorry, not my department. I hope he gets better though. Darn those dogs who always tough things out. Dakota will do something that obviously hurt and act like nothing happened, makes me even more paranoid. lol
Poor Apollo, that looks gnarly.

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Tue May 24, 2011 12:53 am

Oh, poor guy. I would do a trip to the vet. Looks like there's probably an infectious component to that, which means a culture and either systemic antibiotics or perhaps some specially medicated wipes, or if you see a homeopath they may do another type of treatment to fight the bacteria his immune system can't. If there were little openings in his skin from irritation/allergy, or scratchy plants, then that could have been the entry points for the infection part of this unpleasant equation.

Hope he's back to new soon! Some dogs (and people) just seem to be really prone to skin infections. You also see them lots on immunocompromised dogs like those with generalized Demodex, it's a bad double whammy in that sort of case but the skin infection does tend to clear up fairly quickly.

MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby MissKitty » Tue May 24, 2011 1:33 am

Yeah, I was hoping it wasn't something infectious, but it does look that way.

Dang dog picked the worst timing ever, I am dealing with credit card fraud so my card is pretty much frozen. I will have to see if I can dig up enough cash to get him into the vet tomorrow. :po:

Do you think I should wash off his legs/chest with water, in case there is an allergen or something stuck on there?

And I know the feeling Celesteandthebullies, I am always super paranoid about Apollo being hurt, I think my vet thinks I am crazy.

afrikaPB
Matured Bully

Postby afrikaPB » Tue May 24, 2011 1:57 am

My dog gets a similar reaction on his stomach and inner thighs when he swims through stagnant water or freshly mowed grass. I believe it is just an allergic reaction and it passes within a few days. Washing with cool water is important to remove the allergen, but I wouldn't use anything else on such sensitive and inflamed skin unless prescribed. Of course better safe than sorry and a trip to the vet is always a good idea (especially if it doesn't heal quickly or worsens). The always bugs me, though my dogs barely seems to notice it.

afrikaPB
Matured Bully

Postby afrikaPB » Tue May 24, 2011 2:00 am

My dog gets a similar reaction on his stomach and inner thighs when he swims through stagnant water or freshly mowed grass. His is just an allergy prone skin and it passes within a few days. Washing with cool water is important to remove the allergen, but I wouldn't use anything else on such sensitive and inflamed skin unless prescribed. Of course better safe than sorry and a trip to the vet is always a good idea (especially if it doesn't heal quickly or worsens). The pussiness always bugs me, though my dog also barely seems to notice it.

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Tue May 24, 2011 7:22 am

MissKitty wrote:Do you think I should wash off his legs/chest with water, in case there is an allergen or something stuck on there?

I do think you should wash it, and though he may not appear to be uncomfortable I think it would bring him some comfort. I'd just make sure that you dry him off really well, if there's moisture that is just hanging around it can quickly turn into a yeasty situation.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue May 24, 2011 7:25 am

Have you tried benadryl? That may reduce the inflammation and redness. If you're going to wash it, I would simply rinse it in room-temp water and stay away from shampoos.

If it hasn't gone down after the benadryl, I'd say a trip to the vet is warranted.

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Tue May 24, 2011 10:51 am

In Bark magazine a few issues back, they had an article about a plant that can cause infections like that. It was related to Spiderwart, in the same family, and grows wild. I'll have to go see if I can find the article.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Tue May 24, 2011 10:53 am

Looks just like fire ant bites but you would have seen a painful reaction from him.... :huh?:

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Tue May 24, 2011 11:34 am

Yeah, that's why I thought of the plant.
Ugh, fire ants, I got stung by those one time when I was visiting in Florida, took forever to heal.

white0nr1ce
Newborn Bully

Postby white0nr1ce » Tue May 24, 2011 12:27 pm

If he's not acting like he's in any pain and you have issues scraping up the funds I'd second benadryl and washing him with just water or something gentle or maybe an allergy formula. My man had to set a rule that if the dog isn't in pain and if he's eating and pooping normally I have to wait it out and try otc or natural remedies before dishing out for the vet. ...
I guess I can be more on the paranoid side, too. At the same time if, if anyone's dogs has had a similar reaction they would know much more than me!

I hope Apollo's tummy clears up soon!

&btw Kudos on the naming. I have an Apollo at home, too :cheers:

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Tue May 24, 2011 1:06 pm

Found the article, it's in the summer 2010 issue. The picture of the rash they show looks similar to your dog's. Plants in the Commelinaceae family cause the rash, they contain calcium oxalates. Plants in the family include the invasive exotic Wondering jew, Tradescentia fluminensis, and the native Florida species (don't know if it lives where you live) T. ohiensis, also called spiderwort or blue jacket. There are 350 species in this family and all contain calcium oxalates. Other plants such as taro also contain them.
It said for treatment, antibiotics and steriods are prescribed. Pentoxifylline (Trental) can be used prior to exposure to mitigate the allergic reaction, otherwise the only other prevention is avoidance. The reaction tends to get worse if they keep getting exposed to the plants. They can do a patch test to diagnose the allergy.

SnowKoi2010
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby SnowKoi2010 » Tue May 24, 2011 3:47 pm

It looks like he laid on a fire ant bed... But I don't think they have fire ants up north so.. It could be a rash caused by an allergic reaction to something in the grass.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Tue May 24, 2011 9:04 pm

Looks like he had a bit of an allergic reaction to a plant, but honestly, looks like he's got a staph infection going on, now. I would really want to see a vet for that. Plus side, depending on your vet, it might not be a super expensive visit. Most likely a course of antibiotics (cephalexin is the most common antibiotic for skin stuff, and isn't terribly expensive), and a medicated shampoo, or wipes.

Return to “Health Issues”