Can cutting the quick cause infection?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Margot-A-Go-Go
Newborn Bully

Can cutting the quick cause infection?

Postby Margot-A-Go-Go » Thu May 26, 2011 10:48 pm

I'm probably just being a bit paranoid. I am a little new to dog ownership. I have always just had the vet clip Margot's nails before, because it is less traumatic for both of us. She is quite the wiggle worm. She always fights with all her might against nail clipping. I really don't know how they do it. She just goes in the back room and comes out with perfectly clipped nails, happy as a clam. Today my boyfriend and I spontaneously decided to do a hiking trip this weekend because we both had some time free. I thought it might be a good idea to try to give Margs a good trim before the hike. We wrestled with her for a good while when I finally thought we had her in a good spot and I had her foot securely in my grip. Right when I took the snip she wiggled fiercely again, I missed, heard a yelp and saw blood. I immediately put her feet in some luke warm water. We didn't have any corn starch or flour unfortunately. I know she'll be fine here, but I'm a little concerned if she's running around the wilderness in mud, and god knows what else, while were out. Could she get an infection from this? Should I be concerned at all about bacteria getting in there? Thanks!

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Re: Can cutting the quick cause infection?

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu May 26, 2011 11:26 pm

Just give it 24 hours to dry up and form a solid clot before going for a mud-puddle romp and you should be OK. If you notice limping, do a saltwater soak, and get her to the vet asap.

yes, infections can occur, but they are rare.

Margot-A-Go-Go
Newborn Bully

Postby Margot-A-Go-Go » Thu May 26, 2011 11:59 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:Just give it 24 hours to dry up and form a solid clot before going for a mud-puddle romp and you should be OK. If you notice limping, do a saltwater soak, and get her to the vet asap.

yes, infections can occur, but they are rare.

Thank you! Salt water soak actually makes sense. I have a little jar of sea salt I received for my piercings' after care. Though, she is hardly limping. She tore around the living room just now, ready to play. That actually aggravated it a bit more and it started bleeding again. I have her in her kennel now, down to bed for the night so it has a chance to clot and scab over. Next time I'm leaving that job to the professionals. Even my bf, a Captain in the Army, can't hold that pup still long enough for a clipping, like I said.. I don't know how they do it. :dunno:

Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shoshana » Fri May 27, 2011 2:06 am

At least the pros can do it!

We can't find anyone to clip Peanut's nails. But we discovered taking her swimming at our friend's house wears her nails down and we even them up w a Dremel. She has quicked them there tho so we watch her carefully.

mypuppyJack
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby mypuppyJack » Fri May 27, 2011 5:11 am

If I try to hold ellie to cut her nails she squirms like crazy. But if i tie her to a deck post with no slack and start with her back paws she stays still. Knowing she can't get away takes all the fight out of her. Maybe worth a try for you.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Fri May 27, 2011 11:06 am

Giving Roscoe a plate with peanut butter spread on it like someone here suggested did the trick for us, it really made trimming his nails easy.

Margot-A-Go-Go
Newborn Bully

Postby Margot-A-Go-Go » Mon May 30, 2011 7:53 pm

Great suggestions. Thanks! I'll try those next time. This time I just held off on it. The hiking trip wore down her nails pretty well naturally. :)

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Mon May 30, 2011 8:34 pm

you might want to consider buying a Dremel to use instead of clipping them.

Margot-A-Go-Go
Newborn Bully

Postby Margot-A-Go-Go » Tue May 31, 2011 1:03 am

pblove wrote:you might want to consider buying a Dremel to use instead of clipping them.

I've thought about that. Thing is, she already is reactive to vacuum cleaners and other strange "buzzing" or "whirring" noises, so I doubt a dremel would make it any less stressful. Her paws got a little red from the hike as well so I was trying to put a little diluted tea tree oil on them. I tried tying her leash and giving her peanut butter to lick while I was attempting to handle her paws... Didn't work. She was still wiggly, all over the place. Now I've been trying to just give her time to calm down and pet her, slowly working my way to her paws. She's been letting me touch them with empty hands, but as soon as I grab the cotton pad, she moves her paw away.. sigh. It's just gonna take time I suppose.

Return to “Health Issues”