Has any one used a dog supplement that contains glucosamine?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
austinkelly
Newborn Bully

Has any one used a dog supplement that contains glucosamine?

Postby austinkelly » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:22 pm

my sister has a dog with joint issues. her 4 year old amstaff is constantly limping, especially if she is jumping and the impact is on her back legs. We were at the park yesterday and she injured her back leg yet again. We took her to the vet and he said that surgery may fix her back leg, but it isn't guaranteed. Also, she would have to stay off it for at least 4 weeks after the surgery and by then it may have healed on it's on. Another alternative he suggested is a glucosamine & chondroitin supplement. I've been searching around through google and came across one - http://www.k9jointstrength.com/ I was wonder if anyone has used this product or any other product similar to it? If so, are there any negative side effects? It contains the ingredients the vet recommended, but I don't want any more health issues to arise from using supplements. Thanks in advance for any info

Kelly

austinkelly
Newborn Bully

Re: Has any one used a dog supplement that contains glucosam

Postby austinkelly » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:29 pm

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:42 pm

We talk about Joint supplements a lot in the health section! You may want to consider doing a serach and reading som of the forum's previous posts.

I personally use the Glyco-Flex line of products on my dogs and love them!

austinkelly
Newborn Bully

Postby austinkelly » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:44 pm

Cool, thanks for the info

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:21 pm

I use the GlycoFlex III for my dog Kaiser, after reading about Fransterdoo using it and it has been working great for him. I get it from KV Pet.

I forgot to give it to him for about 9 days a year and half ago and he was like a different dog, very lame and crabby. Started it up again and he's great. He still hurts his leg sometimes playing too rough, but it doesn't seem to bother him long and then not get so stiff. I do have to keep him from over-exerting though, he's 10 1/2.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:31 pm

Joint supplements are great but if your sisters dog has a fully ruptured ligament, all the supplements in the world wont fix his leg.

I would also use an omega-3 fatty acid supplement in conjunction with the glucosamine.

Cat24
Adolescent Bully

Postby Cat24 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:12 pm

another glucosimine/chondroitin user here, we just buy the glucosimine HCL from walmart/costco/shoppers. so far so good :)

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:25 pm

I plan on using a supplement that contains it next month, I've only heard good things about it.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:46 pm

Ilovethepits wrote:I use the GlycoFlex III for my dog Kaiser, after reading about Fransterdoo using it and it has been working great for him. I get it from KV Pet.

I forgot to give it to him for about 9 days a year and half ago and he was like a different dog, very lame and crabby. Started it up again and he's great. He still hurts his leg sometimes playing too rough, but it doesn't seem to bother him long and then not get so stiff. I do have to keep him from over-exerting though, he's 10 1/2.

I'm so glad you like it! They don't pay me anything (though they should - hello Verti-Science bots!) but I truly, truly believe in the product.

We were at the same tournament last month where 3 years ago we had to pull our oldest because she was lame in an elbow. She'll be 8 in the fall and she is still racing like the pro that she is. I have all my adult dogs on Glyco-flex.
____

I do also supplement with a variety of healthy oils and fats plus Apple Cider Vinegar, Kelp, Alfalfa and Blue-Green Algae.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:14 pm

We use glyco flex a ton at our clinic too and have had a ton of success. Recently we've started promoting the UBA vet power meg however since its a combo of glucosamine AND fatty acids all in one sticky, yummy liquid.

Scarsmommy
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Scarsmommy » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:18 pm

We recently brought in a new family member named Tito.. he is an american bully with horrendous hips. The doc put him on Dasuquin with MSM and monthly adaquin injections(sp?) The injections seem to be helping so far. We also give him fish oil daily.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:05 pm

Most supplements (and foods) WITH glucosamine do not contain enough glucosamine/chondroitin to produce therapeutic effects. Its much better to give a glucosamine specific supplement.

I also agree that if there is a knee problem that requires surgery, no supplement is going to be fully effective. I definitely recommend a second opinion. It sounds like either the vet wasn't able to diagnose/explain the issue completely or the owner didn't quite comprehend the seriousness of a cruciate rupture and how important it is to get a diagnosis.

PitFriend
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitFriend » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:42 pm

I've used Dasuquin (glucosamine/chondroitin) for years with my dogs and have always liked the results.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:53 am

I use Osteo Bi-Flex triple strength

Return to “Health Issues”